Matchmaking

10 replies to this topic

#1 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

Now, I'm not saying I'm getting screwed by match making....but ever since this even started I have been able to win 1 match. Normally i feel like its pretty balanced and MAYBE its just luck but i feel like something changed. Maybe i suck(im going to say probably this!) but it just doesnt seem the same.

Anyone else?

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

So far a lot of matches I've been in look one-sided if you look at the kill totals, but if you look at the damage totals you see the losing team overall doing ok damage, which means people just failed to combine fire well. There have, of course, been a few horrific stomps where only one or two people on the losing team broke 200 damage, but not many.

#3 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostRelishcakes, on 27 May 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

Now, I'm not saying I'm getting screwed by match making....but ever since this even started I have been able to win 1 match. Normally i feel like its pretty balanced and MAYBE its just luck but i feel like something changed. Maybe i suck(im going to say probably this!) but it just doesnt seem the same.

Anyone else?

Your feelings are absolutely normal. I think streaks of losses have happened to everyone who has played enough. If you play long enough it will happen many times. Also, folks don't tend to notice the win streaks nearly as much.

The very first impulse almost everyone has at this point is to blame the matchmaker. Not so good teamwork, maybe not so good players or perhaps just the other team having a bit more of both. Add in some poor tactical moves by a lance on your team where they run into trouble and get wiped out and matches go south very quickly.

It could be the matchmaker ... but probably isn't. The only numbers PGI ever revealed (quite some time ago) indicated that the matchmaker was creating mostly even matches most of the time in terms of weight class and pilot skill rating. However, there is some question about the validity of the current pilot skill rating system and if that isn't correct then there will be flaws in matchmaking.

However, :) ... the matchmaker doesn't care about individuals ... only matching them up on the basis of PSR ... so although match balance may be off if PSR is not very good ... which team you end up on is completely random.

These kinds of streaks are more noticeable when folks play a lot. If you just drop in 3 or 4 matches in an evening then 3 or 4 losses doesn't feel like that much. Do the same in the midst of grinding for rewards where you are paying more attention to the match score and the same numbers of wins and losses feels much more noticeable. In addition, the events often bring out more folks who play less frequently and so the odds of having unbalanced matches may go up though your placement in that balance is still random.

The bottom line is that there is probably nothing wrong with the matchmaker ... there may be something wrong with PSR but that is another topic entirely ... win/loss streaks are normal ... loss streaks are more noticeable ... and most everyone feels the same way you do when hitting one of these streaks.

#4 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostMawai, on 27 May 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

Your feelings are absolutely normal. I think streaks of losses have happened to everyone who has played enough. If you play long enough it will happen many times. Also, folks don't tend to notice the win streaks nearly as much.

The very first impulse almost everyone has at this point is to blame the matchmaker. Not so good teamwork, maybe not so good players or perhaps just the other team having a bit more of both. Add in some poor tactical moves by a lance on your team where they run into trouble and get wiped out and matches go south very quickly.

It could be the matchmaker ... but probably isn't. The only numbers PGI ever revealed (quite some time ago) indicated that the matchmaker was creating mostly even matches most of the time in terms of weight class and pilot skill rating. However, there is some question about the validity of the current pilot skill rating system and if that isn't correct then there will be flaws in matchmaking.

However, Posted Image ... the matchmaker doesn't care about individuals ... only matching them up on the basis of PSR ... so although match balance may be off if PSR is not very good ... which team you end up on is completely random.

These kinds of streaks are more noticeable when folks play a lot. If you just drop in 3 or 4 matches in an evening then 3 or 4 losses doesn't feel like that much. Do the same in the midst of grinding for rewards where you are paying more attention to the match score and the same numbers of wins and losses feels much more noticeable. In addition, the events often bring out more folks who play less frequently and so the odds of having unbalanced matches may go up though your placement in that balance is still random.

The bottom line is that there is probably nothing wrong with the matchmaker ... there may be something wrong with PSR but that is another topic entirely ... win/loss streaks are normal ... loss streaks are more noticeable ... and most everyone feels the same way you do when hitting one of these streaks.

Yeah, like i said i dont think im being screwed by the match maker, but im watching that *******.
to be entirely honest, i dont pay attention to streaks all that much, I generally go "am i having fun?" but with the rewards its likely that fever! I have noticed though a sharp drop in team coordination and general chatter. However i am also playing outside of my normal play time(i work evenings so generally play late night) so it could be a combination of day of week(different crowds on different days) different times and me being impatient because of the event. I do know I've gotten a tad bloodthirsty in my orion the last day or so.

#5 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

I myself have been having a horrible time. I have went no less than 4 days in a row with something like a 20% win rate. Match after Match after Match it is loss, loss, loss. It will wear you out after a time and it does often feel like the game is rigged to make you lose.

What is making it worse for me is that I am on the cusp of gaining Tier 1 status. Now I know that doesn't have any real meaning but it sucks to be so close and suddenly have the game turn against you. We used to have a word for it back in Beta, "ELO Hell". Back then when they were first trying out this skill based MM, it seemed like you could find yourself stuck at a point where the MM would pair up a few "Highly Skilled" guys with an entire team of Noobs against a full team of good to great players with the expectation that the couple "Highly Skilled" guys would carry the noob team to victory.

Now I don't have a clue if that was ever the case but it felt like it and it feels like that it what I am going through with now. I mean I have had two Domination Matches just today on Grim Plexis where aside from like myself and one other mech, the reset of my entire team hid in cover 500m from the Circle while the enemy team just rolled into the circle won the match. That is straight up noob play at its finest hehe. But yeah, that is what ALL my matches feel like, me playing with a bunch of clueless noobs that are all scrambling around like a chicken with their heads cut off. I honestly can't remember it ever being the bad....well since ELO Hell back in beta.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 27 May 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Good units members are grinding this event so your average competition had increased. It is especially obvious on GQ.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

ive been having absurdly high scores in the 400-500s since the event started. usually i average out about 300 with a much wider spread. and i know why.

right now people are boating 2 things because of the skill tree. lerms, and ams. while these people spew ammo in an unending power play (think dragonball), very few of them are actually carrying weapons that stand a chance of hitting their targets or doing damage at all. so if you are running a ballistics or laser boat, or a little of each, you actually wind up getting more hits in, getting all the solo kill, kmdd, components, etc. the fronts are locked tight and anyone who has a little bit of mobility can weave in and out racking up damage while most of the players are frozen in terror at the lerm un-threat. i racked up 600 damage in a cored red bone jag because nobody's missiles were getting through my team's ams screen. the guy who cored me knew what was going on too.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 May 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#8 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Well MM doesn't balance terrible loadouts from side to side so it's really not surprising given the terms of the event.

#9 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 27 May 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

I myself have been having a horrible time. I have went no less than 4 days in a row with something like a 20% win rate. Match after Match after Match it is loss, loss, loss. It will wear you out after a time and it does often feel like the game is rigged to make you lose.

What is making it worse for me is that I am on the cusp of gaining Tier 1 status. Now I know that doesn't have any real meaning but it sucks to be so close and suddenly have the game turn against you. We used to have a word for it back in Beta, "ELO Hell". Back then when they were first trying out this skill based MM, it seemed like you could find yourself stuck at a point where the MM would pair up a few "Highly Skilled" guys with an entire team of Noobs against a full team of good to great players with the expectation that the couple "Highly Skilled" guys would carry the noob team to victory.

Now I don't have a clue if that was ever the case but it felt like it and it feels like that it what I am going through with now. I mean I have had two Domination Matches just today on Grim Plexis where aside from like myself and one other mech, the reset of my entire team hid in cover 500m from the Circle while the enemy team just rolled into the circle won the match. That is straight up noob play at its finest hehe. But yeah, that is what ALL my matches feel like, me playing with a bunch of clueless noobs that are all scrambling around like a chicken with their heads cut off. I honestly can't remember it ever being the bad....well since ELO Hell back in beta.

That happened to me like 2 weeks ago rising to T1. Its almost as if it was trying to really make me earn it...was weird, and sudden.

#10 Eirik Eriksson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 201 posts
  • LocationIn the deep forests of Småland

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

It happens. Remember when I was trying to elite my shadowcats and had 17-3 in wl and thought this was a king of the battlefield. Then I lost 19 games in a row which is my personal record. And my DMG output in those 19 games was even slightly above the first winning streak around 450. After that it has driven me to the bad habit of always changing weight class if I lose 3 games in a row....

#11 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

View PostHumpday, on 27 May 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

That happened to me like 2 weeks ago rising to T1. Its almost as if it was trying to really make me earn it...was weird, and sudden.

Yep exactly. It is kind of like there is a hump that it makes you climb over right at the end. The good news is that after 4 days of horrible matches, last night, the steak seems to have been broken, at least temporarily. I actually finished up the night with about 60% wins and good solid performance and am now finally making progress toward Tier 1 again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users