• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Posted Image

You see this? This is the result when you combine two premades that are really good against below average pugs. This is the result. It's bad, really bad. I don't like stomping them like that, it's so wrong. I was thinking this the following match after I played it. Absolutely annihilated them, and I felt bad because I knew that some on that side would never return to Faction Play most likely after going into 5 battles like that.

So here's what I think what should be the limit to entering faction play in order to make a better playing field of sorts for both pugs and units (albeit we will have the good units still stomp the pugs, it won't be as bad)

- You must have played for at least 1 month before being able to play Faction Play

- You must own 4 mechs before playing (as in, purchased and in the mech bay, with the new skill tree this should not give people any issues and a chance to actually use mechs they're good at instead of being cheap or new and using champions and gimping their own team)

- You must be Tier 2 at least ( I know I know, this sounds redundant as far as tiers matching up players of similar skill, but this is to prevent those who are still in tier 4 and 5 from entering Faction Play and getting wrecked hard)

I feel like that with the start of this idea, we can prevent crap like this from happening. What say you?

#2 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

How did two really good premades lose 20 mechs to below average pugs?

#3 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

View Postsycocys, on 27 May 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

How did two really good premades lose 20 mechs to below average pugs?

I could say the same as to how I didn't lose a single mech and did 1.9K damage and 8 kills.

Let me add in the factor and fact I was using a Poptart summoner too for that drop.

To add, ffs, you know that was a stomp game when the enemy team, 10 out of 12, don't break 1k damage. One pug did 8 kills. 8 easy kills when our guys were screwed up from using one drop to wipe two of theirs.

Edited by Scout Derek, 08 June 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#4 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

Yes, I totally agree, take a game that's been running for years online (online games have relatively short life spans), spend those years doing nothing but criticise the game on every forum on the internet add in how players should be restricted from playing certain parts of the game because they are new, whine and moan about the lack of diversity of players in the game, cry loud to the heavens that the game mode is dead, blame the devs of the game and say it's their fault, go back and whine more on the internet, wail at the gods of misfortune, blame the devs even more, use anything to wail more.

Pugs are the lifeblood of the game, pugs don't join MWO because of this elitist crap you people spout the game dies really fast, are they bad, yes, clubbing seals it's described as, bloody offensive they say, give me a pug match in QP, FP I don't care.
The chaos they bring to the field is brilliant, I've seen pugs of all tier levels do things that would make a deadman cringe and then bring down 1 or 2 tier 1 players because those upper tier players aren't facing their usual cannon fodder, seeing a pug group bring down a well co-ordinated team of 1 or 2 units is brilliant, it's entertaining, it's fun, its MWO you idiots.
I ask you are you angry they got beaten or are you angry that they managed to destroy 20 co-ordinated players, the more they play the faster they learn the better they'll get, that doesn't mean they'll join a unit though does it and if they don't then they will remain pugs even if thy do become tier 1 players.

#5 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

^ what?

#6 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Oh look, clans win polar highlands again. Im shocked.

#7 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 27 May 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

^ what?

Right, I really have no idea what the point of this post or that replay are.

48-20, "good premades" vs. sub-average pugs.... the numbers are off on that kill count to qualify for the argument in the title.

I read what the other guy posted twice and feel like I might be at the bar getting lectured by someone that just did a dozen shots of racing fuel.

#8 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

The only reason for that post above yours Ash is so he has someone to beat.

#9 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

Your requirement for them to be Tier 2 is funny as I don't play QP very often so I would not be allowed in since I'm still "only" Tier 3 as far as PGI is concerned....

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

View Postsycocys, on 27 May 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

Right, I really have no idea what the point of this post or that replay are.

48-20, "good premades" vs. sub-average pugs.... the numbers are off on that kill count to qualify for the argument in the title.

I read what the other guy posted twice and feel like I might be at the bar getting lectured by someone that just did a dozen shots of racing fuel.

The usual when Khan posts.

It's like the ramblings of the town drunk. Non sensical madness.

#11 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

View PostLeggin Ho, on 27 May 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

Your requirement for them to be Tier 2 is funny as I don't play QP very often so I would not be allowed in since I'm still "only" Tier 3 as far as PGI is concerned....
join the club. I barely qualify on the so leaderboards once every 6 months because I've avoided so religiously since CW began. QP is gross.

#12 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

I didn't get to Tier 2 for quite some time.

Tiers mean nothing, so no, Tiers shouldn't be a requirement.

What about these so-called 'alt accounts' people of higher skill use to supplement their play?

#13 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

i say we restrict 12 mans to solo play skittles. teach them a good lesson in returning to quickplay.

#14 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

PGI should simply delete fail play ... sorry faction play and set quick play Clan vs IS.

It simply distract too many resource from more important things.

#15 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:31 PM

Being elitist is exactly the wrong direction to go in a game mode that already suffers from low population. That seems obvious.

Yes, pugs getting roflstomped discourages them. The solution is NOT to ban or prevent the pug folks from playing. The solution is to mitigate the problem, mentor the pugs, if at all possible, and allow them to improve their skills.

So many solutions would be possible if the FW pop were higher. Now it is all about damage control.

#16 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:44 PM

How about giving us back Siege mode? I liked the vsriation the QP map/mode brought but I kept playing FP because I liked the Invasion/Siege mode.....hell, I formed a unit based on playing it.

As for creating a "skill gate"?

The way the game is setup, with the call-to-arms flashing up, it places a priotrity on playing FP for new players that don't know what it is and what it signifies. This feature should be disable for new players, at least until they have completed the Training Academy and their Cadet Bonus games This way they have a chance to learn some of the pilotting skills they will need to at least last more than 5 minutes against seasoned FP players. However the option to play in FP shouldn't be restricted, if a player wants to click on the FP button and search for a game then they should have that option but the "bait'n'click" box should be hidden from total "newbies".

As for how to improve match making and game quality? THAT is a discussion that's been going around for years and will never go away. Those of us that have been around since the beginning will remember all the idea and counter-ideas and refusals and arguements...... round'n'round'n'round. So I won't get involved in it again, I don't want to kick off another ulcer thank you.

#17 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:18 AM

Skill gating would reduce The Bucket even lower, so probably not a good solution.

FP needs some semblance of matchmaking. It's fine if potatoes play potatoes. It's when large groups come up against soloists it turns ugly for all concered.

My unit won a match last night 48-9. It was 20-0 at one stage. We don't enjoy stomps any more than the PUGs enjoy being stomped.

We keep dropping in hope of coming up against one of the decent teams so we can have a decent match. A matchmaker would help put the big teams against each other.

#18 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:05 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 27 May 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

- You must have played for at least 1 month before being able to play Faction Play

So, you're saying if I choose to make an alt cuz my unit's only taking Clan contracts, you want me to wait a month from creation before I can even get in the gate? Seems a bit much.

- You must be Tier 2 at least ( I know I know, this sounds redundant as far as tiers matching up players of similar skill, but this is to prevent those who are still in tier 4 and 5 from entering Faction Play and getting wrecked hard)

Wait, so now you don't want my main account to play CW either? Man, I just... Yeah, no, you've lost me.

I feel like that with the start of this idea, we can prevent crap like this from happening. What say you?

I do not like your suggestions.

~Leone.

#19 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

The same discussion over and over again.

A minority wants to get their secluded tryhard land out of a gamemode that belongs to everyone while the real pros are long gone, playing their leagues in lobby matches.

Well to make it short.
It is the other way round.
Its not the lowby PuGs that have to be restricted.
Create an FP XP level, stop rewarding High XP ppl for teaming up and sealclubbing low XP ppl.
--> Incentive for low XP people to team up and for High XP ppl to go solo for max rewards.

Contain predators and empower the normals.

Edited by The Basilisk, 28 May 2017 - 01:31 AM.

#20 sub2000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

After reading the forums I have two rather rhetorical questions.
1. It is impossible not to notice that there is aversion against meta. Meta builds (builds optimized around hardpoints and quirks) are as the word "optimized" implies, are easiest to play right. Using them is the best way to learn, but there is aversion against it. Isn't it because of the meta adepts and their way of communicating?
2. Why the population of the FW is that low?
3.Why KCOM are so against splitting queues?
They claim that they don't like to slaughter skittles (should I write cattle?) , do they?
Claim about small population is bogus.
They like extremely buggy and troian friendly TS. Who forbids them to organize time and do "synchro-drops against good IS unites. After all it is part of the team experience. Isn't it?
I was doing that regularly more than 10 years ago. I don't believe now they have less communication possibilities to do that.

Another very important question to the MWO staff.
What percentage of the people stopping playing MWO have left after their short experience with FW. I know that if I wouldn't be lucky to get some first 10 FW games in small groups and experience good DC, I would leave MWO entirely. I know people who did exactly that.
This is personal experience so I am curious how general it is.
I would think shielding FW by entrance requirements or splitting queues is paramount not for the mode, but for the existence of the MWO as a whole. Again look for the experience in other games evolution. Unreal tournament is perfect example.
Why counterStrike is alive while technologically stronger quake and UT lines died?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users