Wtf Is Indigo?! (Nato Phonetic Alphabet)

Gameplay

178 replies to this topic

#1 Milkshakes

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Dearest Mechwarriors,

There is just something that irks me greatly about players who do not know the proper phonetics for calling targets. Below are the proper pronunciations for all twenty six letters in the English alphabet:

Posted Image

In our universe we also have callsigns for certain targets indicated by Greek letters: Alpha and Beta are points on Domination; Epsilon, Gamma, Kappa, Sigma and Theta are points in Conquest. From what I've observed targets are called by their letter callsign and grid locations are the callsign plus grid number. Educate yourselves fellas because knowing is half the battle!

Your best pal Milkshakes <o<^-._.-^>

Edited by Milkshakes, 25 February 2019 - 03:25 PM.

#2 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

People like purple, what can i say...

#3 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

I thought that both were correct, it's just that they were different for different groups? Sort of like "Bravo" vs "Baker".

#4 Milkshakes

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 28 May 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

People like purple, what can i say...

I even went and researched the history of the phonetic alphabets like "Able, Baker" and couldn't find a single one that included Indigo. I was just praying that I was some kind of snob who read too many Jane's Defense publications but by god I couldn't find a single instance! Thusly, I have to think your theory is correct.

#5 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

if stuff like this bothers you your in for a lot of grief and pain in this game

#6 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostMilkshakes, on 28 May 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

I even went and researched the history of the phonetic alphabets like "Able, Baker" and couldn't find a single one that included Indigo. I was just praying that I was some kind of snob who read too many Jane's Defense publications but by god I couldn't find a single instance! Thusly, I have to think your theory is correct.

After like, a minute of googling, I'm finding that British police use Indigo.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

A lot of people aren't former military and as such haven't memorized these things. It's a video game... get over it.

Also.... my name is Indigo Montoya.... you killed my father, prepare to die!

#8 Milkshakes

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

After nearly six years in this game I think I'm good with anything that isn't 30k losses or missiles flying through mountains. Likewise a Google search such as https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8 shows that this is a common question but I didn't see anything about the UK or British police.

Edited by Milkshakes, 25 February 2019 - 01:36 PM.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

I had a Mike and a Romeo both in my unit, so using this alphabet tended to really confuse things....... Especially that time we fought the Zulus in Quebec.

#10 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

Well then only play with people who know it.

#11 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostMilkshakes, on 28 May 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

After nearly six years in this game I think I'm good with anything that isn't 30k losses or missiles flying through mountains. Likewise a Google search such as https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8 shows that this is a common question but I didn't see anything about the UK or British police.

CJ "Cite-Your-Sources" Kliesmet aka Milkshakes (spent too much time writing academic papers)

https://www.h2g2.com..._entry/A8245910

Or, to save you some time, just the screenshots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 May 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

I had a Mike and a Romeo both in my unit, so using this alphabet tended to really confuse things....... Especially that time we fought the Zulus in Quebec.

While drinking whisky in your uniforms in November whilst dancing the tango and foxtrot with Juliet after a nice round of golf? Bravo. To the victor go the spoils.

#13 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

Willie-Tarzan-Freedom boy, what is wrong with you? You tryin' to oppress people from showin' a little creativity? Don't be a Sister-Oval-Butterfinger and maybe lighten up a little. Besides, November was always a dumb choice for N, and 'Noodle' just works so much better.

Edited by MadBadger, 28 May 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#14 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

"Indigo, India, Isabella" etc. They all start with "I". Very easy and intuitive to figure out. right?

#15 Milkshakes

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

It's not so much a matter of what people use so much as it is an established system. Likewise, I don't enjoy the mixed speech pissing contest that results when people are using different terms. I'd rather keep the arguments on the forums rather than in the middle of a fight ya know?

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

yea unless you've drilled on the nato phonetic a lot, its kind of hard to remember everything, so you just pull words out of your buttocks and spew them into the mic. doesn't matter what word you use so long as its clear for everyone. dont use words like 'psycho' because you never know if its a p or an s. and dont use uncommon words. some people get away with common names from pop culture which most non english speakers would recognize. local flavors do exist where pronunciations would be thrown off by accents and could be misinterpreted, so alternate words are used.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 May 2017 - 03:09 PM.

#17 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Well for starters, the Germans use a different military alphabet. I recommend adapting to the situation as it occurs. India, Indigo, Ida,... it ain't rocket science to determine the letter meant.

#18 Milkshakes

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

Alls I'm saying is you only have to know the first eleven to be effective as an organizer. If you wanna take the lead you should have a minimal grasp of not only the map, your team but also the ability to communicate effectively. It's as simple as knowing about http://sarna.net and some phonetics. Given that I play on the North American servers the NATO designations are the most common and effective. No one's making anyone do anything but if the desire to be a leader exists so does this thread!

#19 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

"Indigo" picks up better than "India" through mic in MWO in my experience

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostMilkshakes, on 28 May 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

It's not so much a matter of what people use so much as it is an established system. Likewise, I don't enjoy the mixed speech pissing contest that results when people are using different terms. I'd rather keep the arguments on the forums rather than in the middle of a fight ya know?

Sure...but the easiest way to do that....is not to be super rigid about the scenario...precisely because we are from different countries and backgrounds and there is no one "right" way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users