Help Me Squeeze A Bit More Usage Out Of This Laptop

2 replies to this topic

#1 NumberFive

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:10 AM

Hi All

I've got a laptop running an i7 3610QM and 7670M GPU.

The GPU sucks but I'm banking on everything I read about this being a CPU-heavy game, and that CPU still rates fairly well all things considered. Or does it? I don't know. I'm not really a PC gamer.

I couldn't play the game at all due to heat shutdown issues until I pulled off my keyboard. Even then, with pretty much all low settings, my FPS fluctuated wildly between about 6 and 60, until I read the advice to throttle the frame rate in a user.cfg to stop my CPU from thrashing itself.

Now, I'm running at 20 FPS on some of the maps most of the time, but on others it still dives and stutters, especially if I'm trying to bring the dakka.

How do I find out if the problem is CPU, GPU or heat?

What other parameters are still able to be effectively edited in the user.cfg file? From what I've read, a lot of settings were disabled a couple years ago. What's the best resource for this?

Finally, if I'm buying a new (second hand) PC, what's the minimum CPU & GPU Passmark scores I should be aiming for to get up to 30-40 FPS consistently?

#2 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:18 AM

Use a program like Aida64, or Realtemp to monitor temperatures.

Re-apply TIM to your CPU and GPU, its probably still using stock TIm thats degraded by now.
Whilst you at it, clean out the heatsink fins and fans.

As for passmark scores , IMO:
CPU - 8450
GPU - 4400

With those scores you should be able to look for some old Intel Sandrybridge CPU's like the 2600k, and GPU wise thats about a 1050 (current gen) or a 660ti (4 gen old)
I think if u can find a old PC with a 2600k and a 660ti, or better, you'll be OK.
Price wise you'll likely be looking at £450 (GBP) max.
And theres plenty of other stuff with better specs than a 2600k and 660ti for that price.
Like a 4790k + GTX 960 for £400.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 30 May 2017 - 03:44 AM.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

Re-apply TIM to your CPU and GPU, its probably still using stock TIm thats degraded by now.
Whilst you at it, clean out the heatsink fins and fans

Definitely thermal paste and keeping can of compressed air to clear out the heatsinks every few months.

Control Panel, Power Options, set to High Performance.

For your user.cfg, what are your command lines? sys_MaxFPS = 30

Disable antialiasing and turn off vsync.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users