Energy Balance 3.0

73 replies to this topic

#1 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

Greetings MechWarriors. Today I have a simple question. What are some of the likely changes that PGI will make to energy weapons in the upcoming balance pass? What would you like to see changed and what would you recommend?

#2 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

I hope they triple the heat of all laser weapons, this long range laser poke meta makes me sick. At least gauss/PPC requires skill to use

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

After IS gets its er lasers to balance out I will be happy. I don't want any crazy changes.

Some small balancing to cerl(buff) is lpl (nerf)and is small(buff) I could see.

#4 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

I doubt we can guess. We don't know the stats of the new tech coming in and any balance they do now is going to be in relation to the new tech.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

Expected?

isLPL nerf
cSPL nerf

Aside from that, they also state:

provide better role definition between the different Energy types, and most importantly, foster a better baseline balance between IS and Clan Energy weapons.

Two things
Better baseline balance between the Clam and Sphere lasers means either completely Shafted clam Small class, or significantly buffed Spheroid smalls (by Mecha Cthulhu, they are complete trash)

But role definition between different Energy Types?
Does that include ER?

So, Standard Laser, Pulse Laser, and ER Laser

At the moment, all function identically
Burn, cooldown, refire

They played around with giving Pulse Lasers better DPS...but their previous example was a complete farce

Spoiler

https://mwomercs.com...w-pts-16sep2016

So, they reduced the Dam/tick, and gave it slightly higher DPS, but left the weapon unchanged, only calling it a "DPS Weapon" in name

A radical change would be cutting most values in half, but giving the cooldown 1/3
That would be a DPS weapon, firing considerably more often for more DPS, not just cutting a third of a second off the cooldown

#6 Jiang Wei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

There are counters to mechs that use all energy weapons....

Edited by Jiang Wei, 03 June 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#7 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostOrmsbyGore, on 03 June 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

I hope they triple the heat of all laser weapons, this long range laser poke meta makes me sick. At least gauss/PPC requires skill to use

Talking about skill:
Long range laser usage requires:
- choosing a tactically effective position
- choosing targets wisely
- knowing when to get out of cover and when to retreat
- plain aiming skill and a lot of it
- checking where the team members are and how to help them best (e.g. press enemies into cover)
- managing the enormous heat
- torso twisting

It requires the most skill in the game on multiple levels, for sure.

Storming forward mindlessly into a suicidal brawl and then complaining that the team didn't help does NOT require any skill whatsoever. Only a naive romantic notion of being a skillful hero while actually, the opposite is true.

Edited by Paigan, 03 June 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#8 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

View PostPaigan, on 03 June 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Talking about skill:
Long range laser usage requires:
- choosing a tactically effective position
- choosing targets wisely
- knowing when to get out of cover and when to retreat
- plain aiming skill and a lot of it
- managing the enormous heat
- torso twisting

It requires the most skill in the game, for sure.

All mechs need to choose a tactically effective position
All mechs have to choose targets wisely
All mechs have to know when to get out of cover and when to retreat
ERLL with the long burn time does require better aiming than most weapons
All mechs have to manage heat
All mechs have to torso twist

The only skill required of long range laser users is proper aiming with the long burn times. That's it

#9 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

View Postcazidin, on 03 June 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

Greetings MechWarriors. Today I have a simple question. What are some of the likely changes that PGI will make to energy weapons in the upcoming balance pass? What would you like to see changed and what would you recommend?

Paul will make a sweeping change and they will be back to the drawing board all over again

#10 King Chimera

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

View PostRuar, on 03 June 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

All mechs need to choose a tactically effective position
All mechs have to choose targets wisely
All mechs have to know when to get out of cover and when to retreat
ERLL with the long burn time does require better aiming than most weapons
All mechs have to manage heat
All mechs have to torso twist

The only skill required of long range laser users is proper aiming with the long burn times. That's it

You're also exposing yourself a lot more with ER Larges than Gauss + PPC trash. My Supernova equipped with 6 ERLarges has to expose itself for nearly 4 seconds if I want to fire all 6 without ghost heat, about 2.5 if I fire them 3 at a time rather than 2.

Gauss and PPC can be fired with much less exposure with the only drawback being that you have to aim slightly ahead of the enemy mech that probably won't be stopping on a dime.

#11 Jiang Wei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

Reduce the damage of all lasers by 0.5 damage. There you go. OR, implement the special reflective armor like MW4. Why is it so hard for devs to come up with these simple solutions.

Edited by Jiang Wei, 03 June 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#12 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

Reduce clan laser damage by 1 point, but with correspondingly shorter duration and heat.

#13 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

View PostXiyumos, on 03 June 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

You're also exposing yourself a lot more with ER Larges than Gauss + PPC trash. My Supernova equipped with 6 ERLarges has to expose itself for nearly 4 seconds if I want to fire all 6 without ghost heat, about 2.5 if I fire them 3 at a time rather than 2.

Gauss and PPC can be fired with much less exposure with the only drawback being that you have to aim slightly ahead of the enemy mech that probably won't be stopping on a dime.

You are also at greater range and usually not in direct observation. At least you shouldn't be getting noticed as soon as you step out from cover.

#14 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostXiyumos, on 03 June 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

expecting to fire 6 ER Larges in pairs without being targeted? This isn't wanting skill, it's wanting a fantasy.

Years, Gauss+PPC is "easier" (note: aiming is harder with different projectile speeds and no ability to correct, as well as managing Gauss charge) but wanting to chain through 3 sets of long burn lasers is just dumb and never going to be very practical.

Also, not 4 seconds, fire 2, half a second into the beam fire two more, then half a second d later 2 more. Don't need to wait for the end of the beam.

#15 King Chimera

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 June 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

expecting to fire 6 ER Larges in pairs without being targeted? This isn't wanting skill, it's wanting a fantasy.

Years, Gauss+PPC is "easier" (note: aiming is harder with different projectile speeds and no ability to correct, as well as managing Gauss charge) but wanting to chain through 3 sets of long burn lasers is just dumb and never going to be very practical.

Also, not 4 seconds, fire 2, half a second into the beam fire two more, then half a second d later 2 more. Don't need to wait for the end of the beam.

I haven't had much trouble in the few time I've run Gauss+PPC, *shrug*

#16 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostOrmsbyGore, on 03 June 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

Lasers require alot of facetime just to output their full damage.

ERPPC+GR meta you can just poptart over a hill for little to no facetime to output it's damage.

Also ERPPC+GR you can spam shots as fast as you GR cooldown is because GR heat is only 1 vs lasers high heat requires you to keep an eye always on the scale.

#17 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

View PostRuar, on 03 June 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

(several great points)....The only skill required of long range laser users is proper aiming with the long burn times. That's it

Plus the punishment for being deficient in the aforementioned skills is punished less when you use erLL, maybe even LL depending on quirks+SkTr etc., but Gauss and PPC require you to lead targets or else you miss, you can always rake with lasers if your target jukes or whatever.

Also, why is it that whenever I say that I don't like hiding behind objects on the other side of the map people immediately counter with "charging head long into the enemy is stupid"? No kidding, I'm not advocating for that either. How about moving towards the enemy in cover until you get into effective range (unless you're a heavy or assault, then you need to be close enough to share armor quickly if things get hairy) and kill the enemy? how about being active and seizing the initiative and the favorable ground? I'm not calling anyone out in particular, but if I wanted to camp and snipe, I'd play one of the shooters that already exist. Giant mech face-smashing leaves my options limited.

#18 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 03 June 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

Lasers require alot of facetime just to output their full damage. ERPPC+GR meta you can just poptart over a hill for little to no facetime to output it's damage. Also ERPPC+GR you can spam shots as fast as you GR cooldown is because GR heat is only 1 vs lasers high heat requires you to keep an eye always on the scale.

sure, pop-tarting reduces exposure time, but high mounts on certain mechs make hill humping (or multiple arm energy mounts for corner peeking I guess) a much lower risk proposition than you make it seem

#19 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

View PostXiyumos, on 03 June 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

I haven't had much trouble in the few time I've run Gauss+PPC, *shrug*

Did I say you would?

Look, people don't neatly filter into "Guys who demand the current meta stay" and "guys who are fighting against the mindless meta!" (and good god, does that moronic argument get old)

All I'm saying is, you're not gaining Bonus Hardmode Points trying to use 6 ERLL's; you're just being kind of dumb. They can't "fix" the game to make it better for that; with that kind of burn time, heat, and damage, it's just not really a good build and it can't be. Not with tracer beams showing where you are during that whole burn.

This has nothing to do with gauss/ppc, or difficulty - it's just a silly idea.

#20 Necromonger Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thought it was my imagination that I had to get a lot closer to use my Clan SPLs.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users