#1 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

This is me getting out T5... it can be done!!! If getting out of Tier 5 is an issue for you, join a unit that will offer to teach you. For any Jade Falcon Loyalists R79T is one such unit.

79th Raptor Talons unit page can be found here

http://www.raptorgalaxy.com/

So, for you other not T5 warriors: has anyone else moved past T5 focused on one job above any other? Or do most of you improve more generally, across the board?

Edited by Black Lanner, 04 June 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#2 DeeHawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:16 AM

We just had a post with one guy (supposedly noob, but then a VERY talented noob), getting directly half-way into Tier 3 after his first match, and getting to Tier 1 only 10 days after account creation. It's not really a skill rating, it's closer to an XP bar.
You will have to consistently fail and do really bad, to NOT increase in tier.

My own road to T1 (Ok admitted, I'm Tier 2, But I need 1-2 pixels of the bar to be Tier1) went as follows:

-Started as light before anything was called Tiers. I ran a Jenner with 6 MLaser and had a blast. Lights are a good way to get around and get to know the maps. Then I went heavy with the Catapult, but ended up again, with a laser vomit build on the Jester, and played it for quite some time.

-Came back to the game after a very long break last summer, and had to crawl my way back into the game, as the meta changed beyond recognition, and I rusted a lot more in that time than my Mechs did. I started my career as an Assault Pilot quickly after with the King Crab 6x AC2, and this has been my most played Mech ever since. (1.000.0000 leftover xp before the skill tree patch).

-When not playing this non-meta role of "Long Range Harrasment & Suppressive Fire", I mostly play my Locust 1E, which obviously is a completely different playstyle.

-Other noteworthy mechs I play/played, in no particular order:
Kodiak
Nova
Phoenix Hawk

I'd strongly suggest that one changes their role once in a while, as every little bit of knowledge gives you an advantage in a given situation. Being versatile allows you to see a larger perspective of the game, which in turn allows you to make better decisions.

Edited by DeeHawk, 06 June 2017 - 04:17 AM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

there are many units which will be happy to help teach you.

if you are not interested in faction play then it does not matter which unit you join as which faction you are only limites you in faction play, so if you strongly empithise with a paticular faction e.g. you loved the way Takishi Kurita was written in [insert book title] then go loyalest for CW with your chosen faction, if you do not hold any faction in high regard then it matters little which faction you are with and the major deciding factor would be which Mechs you own, if you only own Mechs from the IS or Clans look for a faction in which you can use those Mechs (assuming Faction play matters to you), or if you own a variaty and would like to be able to use both tech bases in faction play go Mercinary, merc corps take weekly contracts with any faction so you could keep alternating between Clan and IS.

if you want a unit look at the faction play forums, as most units will have an advert in the relevent section. before signing up check out the units website (assuming they have one) and check that their focus is alligned with yours and you can accept their code of conduct (assuming they have one).
some units are for elite compatition play only, others are realy casual, many are more mixed in terms of interests,
some love faction play, others do not,
some will offer you all the training you could want, others are not freindly to new players,
some only cater to a single time zone others are world wide.

so please ask a few questions before commiting (the website may answer all the questions you have)

#4 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

For me I just learned how to do everything, which let me learn all the counters to everything and incorporate strengths of different playstyles into my own. I often run a variety of builds each time I play, but my favorite tends to be my dual ERPPC Summoner, I love the mobility and I can't stand not being able to hit things that are really far away with some direct fire instant retribution.

With my Summoner I torso twist like a brawler, jump snipe like a poptart, peek and poke like any hill humper/corner peeker, and I've gotten very accurate with the PPCs. Its great fun to be last man alive fighting against half an enemy team but actually be the one winning.

Though I never got out of tier 5, infact I started in T3 when the tier system came out and just moved up from there. Once I made an alt to go buy a Centurion to test with the cadet bonus and got out of T5 in my first match in an Atlas where I killed at least a lance worth of enemies and did 1000 damage.

So I guess the tips for getting out of T5 is to just gain some knowledge, learn your strengths, learn your enemy's weaknesses, train your accuracy and once you do that even T1 will be a breeze.

#5 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:00 AM

I was struggling in tier 5 for a pretty long time before the game finally clicked.
Advanced to tier 4 pretty rapidly.
Got 20% into tier 4, decided I would start trying some lights.
Sucked at it, almost dropped back to tier 5.
Got better/didn't exclusively play lights, started advancing through tier 4.
Almost got to tier 3, decided to buy more mechs and skill them up the hard way (no choice there really, no hsp and low on cbills).
Struggle in unskilled mechs (I feel sorry for the noobs starting now).
Currently a hair from getting to tier 3.

#6 Bug Catcher

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

I'm increasing my wins to be more consistent, following the tips and metamech ideas has helped too. I hope to make 4 soon.

Edited by Bug Catcher, 15 June 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#7 Lord of MEGALICHIKA

Rookie

• The Soviet
  • The Soviet
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

I just "graduate" to tier 4 after about 2 months in tier 5....but i play for fun ( tried as many mech as possible,tried every weapon systems and configurations,etc),not for competition and i enjoyed every second of it...Posted Image

#8 Remy Wolf

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:18 AM

I didn't have any trouble getting out of T5, but I can see going from T4 to T3 is gonna take me a while. I need to get better about fighting smart. I get in over my head and don't back off soon enough so my K/D ratio stinks. Of course, I'm primarily a support guy still, so my kill count isn't really where my contribution to the team is.
I'm that guy in an fast ECM with an C ERPPC who snuck all the way around behind everyone and popped the opposition in the back and then ran when they turned. Or popped up on the flank, shot a few times and got a few guys to come after me, pulling them away from the main fight... Or I stand with the heavies and assaults and provide ECM and AMS support while I snipe away and help with any lights that try to do what I normally do. So my kill count usually stinks, but I'm an enabler. I'm still learning how to not wind up dead with a Night Gyr. I dish out a lot more damage but there's no quick running away when too much heat comes my way.

#9 Jon McFuzzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

Wanna hear my humble opinion?

The suggestions are really great: join a unit, learn from others, train your accuracy, etc but don't do it in order to improve your tier. Actually, disregard anything about tier level. Like others have pointed out, it's an XP bar and does not really indicate your skill level. You will find some people that are struggling to cope playing in higher tier because the skill level is not there yet.

Just focus on improving yourself while having fun at it. Evaluate what you or others (when spectating) could have done better, or differently. Break bad habits. Aim to survive longer, but also be more effective in dealing damage to opponents. There are so many good advice here in this forum already.

I am not that good but I feel like I've been making positive progress. Too bad I've been plagued by lag and low internet bandwidth issues - but that's a different story.

#10 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

long before there was a tier system I played just for fun, still do btw, with a crappy barely got 15fps toaster. Just upgraded to a better toaster able to stay above 50 fps with NP and yes my stats show this made a big difference. so after over 5000 drops since the great reset of stats I am as firmly in T5 as you can get. worse part is I never see my friends who have all gone on to T2 or so. So no if you play enough you will not become T1. actually a Noob with less then 50 drops can get into T1 much easier then I.

my advise play for for fun and enjoy what you play. there are many reasons beside a bad toaster that kept me in T5, the biggest is i play what i enjoy, not meta, that and i tend to lead assaults and if you stick your neck out it will get cut off.

#11 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

Honestly, it's taking me WAY longer to get out of T4 than it did to get into T4 from the bottom of T5. (I hadn't played since the beta, but for some reason that was where I was rated for "skill")

#12 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

View Postloopala, on 27 December 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

l...

my advise play for for fun and enjoy what you play.

Best advice I've seen in a long time. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky
(Fellow T5 denizen)

#13 Amatsukaze

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

There are those who cultivate their K/D & by extension their tier. They take nothing but the best mech running meta builds & I say more power to them. If they are having fun who am I to judge. I own nearly 300 mechs & play all of them rotating them as whim dictates & my builds are not meta but instead what I think are fun to play & I am having a blast doing it. Does doing so adversely affect my tier rating? Probably but I couldn't care in the least.

It felt like I was stuck in tier 5 & yet it seemed like I was better then most of the people I dropped with. In frustration & realizing my tier meant nothing to me because I was having fun I turned off the tier indicator in game. Months passed & I wont say I got better, my skills remained the same but I did get wiser. I got better at reading the tempo of the match, at choosing the best place & time to push as well as back off. The risks I took became calculated instead of blind.

I had to do a reinstall of MWO a few weeks ago & my setting went to default. I was surprised to note when I logged in that I was a few pixels away from tier 1. Know what I did? I turned the tier indicator back off, loaded up a mech with a non meta build made a drop & had fun.

#14 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users