• The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:29 AM

Hello PGI,

Is there a chance (even slim one) to get IS Omni's?

I mean the mechs like: Raptor, Strider, Avatar, Sunder etc. and the upgraded classics (Centurion*, Firestarter, BlackJack) ;)

*Yes I know that Centurion Omni is from 3111, but I know you took liberty with Mad Cat Mk II 4 variant, which is from 3090, along the fact, that you like to create your own variants along with in-house mech (Roughneck), so what's the problem? :P

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:38 AM

Oh they will arrive, don't ye worry lad.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:00 AM

Mmm, yes, Raptor...

#4 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:07 AM

Yep, right after they give us Clans a 20 tonner.

#5 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:13 AM

IS Omnimechs are garbage, either no endo, fixed STD engine, fixed XL engine or fixed single heat sinks.

#6 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 05 June 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

Yep, right after they give us Clans a 20 tonner.

Speedy Gonzales's mech, eh? Posted Image
http://www.sarna.net...re_Moth_(Dasher)

View Postkapusta11, on 05 June 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

IS Omnimechs are garbage, either no endo, fixed STD engine, fixed XL engine or fixed single heat sinks.

Some Clan Omnis also haven't endo (but may have FF - Executor for example) and fixed XL's and I didn't heard so much complaints about that... That's the nature of the OmniMech technology.

Raptor have DHS and clan Omni IS Omni 175 XL engine.

Yes, Strider have singles, but why needs double when missile weaponry is employed? They're not hot as energy weapons...

Addendum:
Strider have STD engine, interesting...

Avatar & Sunder have IS XL, so that mechs are in quite vulnerable position, but both have DHS as Raptor.

And yes - I've played MW4:Mercs, and so far I didn't had problem with the Sunder, exept the fact that all hits goes almost excusively onto CT Posted Image

Edited by ManganMan, 05 June 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#7 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

Raptor does not have a Clan XL. Still an IS XL. But ain't care, it will be decent enough.

#8 RoadblockXL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:17 AM

Raptor, Arctic Fox, Men Shen, Perseus, and Templar all have endo steel, standard armor, and double heatsinks, so they would probably be the least terrible IS omnis.

Problem is they're all guaranteed to die on side torso destruction and the Raptor, Arctic Fox and Perseus are all a little slow for their weight class. But those could be countered with offensive or torso speed quirks.

#9 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:31 AM

View PostRoadblockXL, on 05 June 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

I'd buy the Men Shen in a heartbeat. Besides the Chimera, it's the only IS med I'd care to get.
And since the Men Shen is the first omni the Capellans produced, seems fitting for it to be one of the first IS omnis in the game Posted Image

#10 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

Templar.... with RAC's.... oh damn son, thsi gun be gud.
but i also wait for the Argus.

#11 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

Now that I think about it, I can't wait for them to release IS omnis.

The tears will be glorious when they realize they can't switch their structure, armor or engines. AND...they'll be stuck with an IS XL.

Nope, can't wait.

#12 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

View PostRoadblockXL, on 05 June 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

Raptor, Arctic Fox, Men Shen, Perseus, and Templar all have endo steel, standard armor, and double heatsinks, so they would probably be the least terrible IS omnis.

Problem is they're all guaranteed to die on side torso destruction and the Raptor, Arctic Fox and Perseus are all a little slow for their weight class. But those could be countered with offensive or torso speed quirks.

all they would need to do is amend some of the OmniMech Rules, for the better of OmniMechs,
allowing OmniMechs to change engine Type could help make IS OmniMechs Viable,

a Raptor being able to choose between a 175STD / 175LFE / 175XL, could do alot for its options,
and this type of change wouldnt really benefit Clan OmniMech, well maybe the KingFisher, ;)

#13 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

No, no, no, nononononono, no no no no, nono. Just look at the Templar:

Posted Image

That mech is locked to an XL engine. An untrained cat could hit those STs every time. IS XL engines kill IS omnimechs before they are even conceived. You can not have an XL engine side torso loss on a mech locked to XL engines, especially one with garbage hit boxes. And the Templar isn't even the worst offender. There's the Sunder:

Posted Image

Persues:
Posted Image

Raptor:
Posted Image

All locked to XL engines. All with garbage hit boxes. Any IS omnimech locked to XL will be doomed to failure. Unless PGI fixes IS XL engines, which they will never do, IS omnimechs are dead before arrival. Don't even think about them. Perish the thought from your mind.

#14 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:51 AM

> Bad hit-boxes
> Raptor

Do you have eyes?

#15 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 June 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

> Bad hit-boxes
> Raptor

Do you have eyes?

Yes, I do. Do you see those shields that block the CT with the STs? That's freakin' horrible. Locked XL engines for IS = fail. EVERY. TIME. You can not lock XL engines to a mech and expect it to be viable. That goes triple for assaults.

#16 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

well, sunder and raptor look like insta center torso death to me.... the templar has its main weaponry in the arms so it cant even shield.
twisting is the only thing that brings him closer to the victor.
and we all know what was needed to make that one viable again....

Edited by Alienized, 05 June 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#17 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

I don't see the point in IS Omnis, at least with current game mechanics. With the weight and crit slots that IS equipment takes up, it just doesn't seem like a good idea at all.

#18 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 05 June 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

Yes, I do. Do you see those shields that block the CT with the STs? That's freakin' horrible. Locked XL engines for IS = fail. EVERY. TIME. You can not lock XL engines to a mech and expect it to be viable. That goes triple for assaults.

Do you see shields that block the STs on the Locust? On the much slower and larger Blackjack? No, you don't, and neither is considered garbage.

Arm shields would be awful at 25 tons, see Mist Lynx and Commando. Regardless of engine woes, the Raptor has excellent hit-boxes for what it is. With an LFE or a STD, the 'Mech would be beyond useless, same as any other Light.

#19 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 June 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

Do you see shields that block the STs on the Locust? On the much slower and larger Blackjack? No, you don't, and neither is considered garbage.

Arm shields would be awful at 25 tons, see Mist Lynx and Commando. Regardless of engine woes, the Raptor has excellent hit-boxes for what it is. With an LFE or a STD, the 'Mech would be beyond useless, same as any other Light.

Alright, so let's say your precious Raptor does not have horribad hitboxes for argument's sake. That's one down, but almost every other mech from the Civil War period that's omni has a locked XL engine, and they aren't so lucky as the Raptor. That's still not going to work. The assault omnis are screwed. Grade A screwed. They're effed in the bee. PGI's failure at engine parity has killed this idea long before we thought of it. All of the LFE omnis post-date Civil War, and most are Word of Blake mechs.

Edited by Kiran Yagami, 05 June 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#20 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 05 June 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

Alright, so let's say your precious Raptor does not have horribad hitboxes for argument's sake. That's one down, but almost every other mech from the Civil War period that's omni has a locked XL engine, and they aren't so lucky as the Raptor. That's still not going to work. The assault omnis are screwed. Grade A screwed. They're effed in the bee. PGI's failure at engine parity has killed this idea long before we thought of it. All of the LFE omnis post-date Civil War, and most are Word of Blake mechs.

My comment was focused on the Raptor because, generally, I agree about the bad hit-boxes. But, I will indulge you:

The ones hard up are the ones with low hard-points , which is most of them (also most BattleMechs, as it were). The exceptional examples are the BJ-O (high hard-points, can poke and jump), the BH-KU (excellent hit boxes, massive firepower), Men-Shen (good speed, good front-forward hit-boxes, good firepower). Even then, though, it is still better that the rest have XL than STD, because they can at least mount decent firepower (i.e. Sunder). Better a glass cannon than a non-threatening bullet sponge. And incidentally, also usually better to be a glass cannon in MWO than some mediocre in-betweener, which is what you get using LFE.

Finally, the Wobby Omnis blow almost as much as the Owens and Strider do. Assuming you are referring to the Celestials: low hardpoints, slow, wide. That they can take a hit and pack ECM are about the only things going for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users