9 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor Carns

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

I'm currently looking for a unit that fits my time constraints and my personality. If you take the time to read what I say and think I can work well in your unit, go ahead and respond.

I'm not a great player. I've been playing Battletech since I could read and I'm constantly comparing and griping about MWO. Why do I keep coming back? I'm still not sure about that, but round and around I go. Right now, I think I'm tier 3 with my clan profile, but honestly, I'm more of a tier 4 player. In game, I try to keep my griping to a minimum.

I don't follow orders. You order me around, and I might do the opposite, because you don't tell me what to do. You've got a plan, great, I'll follow it, unless my situation deems otherwise. I see what's in front of me and on my radar when I get a chance. You see something I don't, give me a shout. You start barking orders and I will not respond. And no "stay together" and "you're too far" crap. Being a ball is not always a good tactic. Scouting is what I like to do.

Similarly, I do not give orders. To be an effective leader, you have to make decisions that affect everyone around you and sometimes you have to be the bad guy or jerk to get things done by your team. I understand this, but see above paragraph. I don't deal with it well and I refuse to give out orders when I am not qualified. I will give shout outs when I feel something is important. Location of enemy, we're getting flanked, somebody grab a resource point, get in the circle you cowards.

I tend to gravitate towards the lighter 'Mechs. The sheer firepower of an assault is fun and the armor is nice too. But I don't like being a target. I feel the need for speed. Sure, it doesn't always work and sometimes the other team has better pilots than me and shoot me down something fast. Heavies feel like a bad mix between the size of an assault and the firepower of a medium. Ok, a lot of people make these 'Mechs work, but I have a hard time doing it. Mediums are fun, sometimes, but again, I'm more of a light 'Mech pilot. I load up with UAVs, have sensor upgrades and like to help the team out.

While I don't respond to direct orders and I won't give orders, I will follow someone's lead. If I am in a pack, I will stay with them and hunt down other 'Mechs or defend our own. Also, I like being a team player. You won't see me trying to compete for most kills or most damage. I can get those every now and then, but spotting for the team and giving out the location of the enemy is just as important, as is running behind them distracting them for the big 'Mechs to hurt them more than I can do. That said, I do like to seek out the competition and kill them. But I have come to accept that my role is more of a support than glory hound. I can live with this.

Suicide runs, I do, but only when the situation calls for it. I will, even in my light 'Mechs, try to hold off the advancing enemy long enough for my team to turn around and fight them in a coordinated manner. Bursting through their lines to distract them, I do. Popping a UAV up in the middle of their formation is fun too. I don't always survive, and usually, I don't do it unless it is necessary.

Time constraints: I have some physical problems that keep me from being a 100% reliable. Namely, I get severe bouts of pain that will cripple me for hours. I will get tired and need to rest for a long period of time. Not that this is anyone's business, but it explains why I'm hit and miss for game times.

MWO units take energy to maintain the relationships made and to work well as a team. I don't want to spend the time or energy to keep up with more competitive teams and units. Certain days, I can play a bit, other days, not so much and you won't see me for a while. If you can handle this and sounds like you wouldn't mind me on your team, let me know. This post makes me seem very cranky and hard to get along with. In some cases that's true, but better I give you my bad along with some of my good to see if I will be a fit for your unit. I can also be an asset for the team and am willing to try to join a unit and make the MWO experience more rewarding.

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

best of luck finding a unit! There are lots of casual ones that, if you mesh personality-wise, everything else is secondary! :)

#3 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

So....in summary:

Not so great player (self-assessed tier 4) seeks a unit that won't give orders and will just let him do his own thing.

Maybe Clan Wolf has some units like that? Best of luck!

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

Maybe check the unit recruiting threads

#5 Trevor Carns

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Looking back at my post, I see I came off as not much of a team player. For this, I apologize, I was in a bit of pain and should not have posted anything yet. Oh well, live and learn. I actually like playing as a team, hence why I'm looking for a team.

I think I overstated my bad points to get those out there to see if anyone can deal with me. I do try to follow orders, but some people should not be giving orders or act as if they must be carried out with military precision. If I wanted that, I would have stayed with my previous career in real life. Instead of an ordered life with rules and regulations, I became a groundskeeper for a wooded estate that had a bunch of rough around the edges workers. I fit right in

What I was trying to say, and very poorly, is that I am a bit of a free thinker and I like to take initiative, but I am not a leader myself. I will work well with the team, but not blindly follow orders that don't make sense to my current situation. I don't just want to do my own thing though. Again, I can see how someone would take that according to my original post.

I am not a bad player, but I am not great. I contribute towards the team and am willing to learn to get better, provided my health keeps up. TS is okay but I use Discord a lot with my megamek group. I will not always communicate with the team, other than UAVs, but I will listen in and follow the group's plan. But sometimes, I need to figure out what's going on with the rest of the map. So if you're slow, I'll leave you behind so you can see what's up ahead. But staying out on my own is usually a death sentence. Running with a group of lights is always fun.

Hopefully this clears up a few things and I don't seem to hard to get along with. I guess I can always check the recruiting threads.

#6 StolenMadWolf

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

I've actually just set up a unit to try and get some 'lone wolf' like players together. The idea behind it would be less about giving orders and being massively competitive or with a large amount of social activity, it would be more about some people who prefer doing their own thing, who mutually support each other in battles of different kinds to get better experiences and rewards.

I'm more of a heavy guy myself (found the lights just too lightly armored and low on firepower for my tastes) but if you want to join the unit, send me a PM or add me in game and I will send an invite.

#7 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

Appreciate your clarification and yes, that makes a boatload more sense. Brst of luck to ya!

#8 HallowOne

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hello, If you are still looking for a unit the 7th talon Expeditionary Force is always looking for fresh meat. Its a smaller unit with about 10 members right now. Most are new or newer to the game and learning. We do scouting and invasion matches when we can and quick play on and off. I am usually on through out the day for a few matches.

This is a link to my post on here if you would like to read up on us.

https://mwomercs.com...ce-recruitment/

If you have any other questions hit me up on either here or the game.

Best of luck to you

HallowOne

#9 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

I knew some folks in Clan Wolf could be counted on for welcoming him in!

#10 Trevor Carns

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Appreciate the feedback and offers. Guess I've always had a soft spot for Clan Wolf since Mechwarrior 2nd edition and then in MechWarrior 2. So Wolf might be a pretty good fit. Good thing too, considering when I created this account I used a Wolf bloodname.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users