19 replies to this topic

#1 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

Argent Leviathan

Argent Leviathan was commissioned by ComStar in 3060 as an exploratory upgrade to existing King Crabs. Largely driven by the logistical problems plaguing ComStar's thinly stretched armies, the KGC-AL prototype would carry eight extended range medium lasers and two large pulse lasers along with functional claws that would enable it to drag large battlefield salvage or even grasp its prey. Unfortunately the mech facilities that would have been tasked to convert more King Crabs to the new configuration were acquired by The Word of Blake along with many of the projects engineers. Since The Word of Blake had their own KGC variants and production lines further refits were never commenced.

Posted Image

Posted Image

----

Torment

Torment charged into the opposing pack of mechs, grabbing a Trebuchet with its huge right-hand claw while simultaneously knocking a Jenner over, the smaller mech rolled over twice breaking its leg actuators and shedding both of its side pods on the ground. Dale Mason, the pilot of the one hundred ton King Crab battlemech paused a moment to let the dust settle, he was a showman, this was a show, he wanted the arena audience to witness the carnage and glory as much as they themselves wanted it. Then he riddled the Trebutchet's torso with a hailstorm of bullets from three heavy machine guns embedded within the mechs claw and threw it to mercilessly to the ground. He re-aligned Torment to face his final opponent in this three-on-one demonstration spectacle, an old and very worn Witworth. The Witworth fired a volley of missiles from its twin LRM-10 launchers, Dale laughed like a maniac as Torment's four anti-missile systems chewed them up in mid-flight. The Witworth stood motionless, already defeated as it watched Torments twin rotary auto-cannons begin to spool up while the crowd roared with excitement.

Posted Image

Posted Image

---

Edited by jjm1, 04 November 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

HOLY CRAB!
That looks absolutely nuts!

#3 Nelos Kniven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

Cool! Now maybe we can get another hero KCB and melee...

Edited by Gr Armpit, 14 June 2017 - 11:45 AM.

#4 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

Jesus **** man. That's awesome!

#5 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

updated!

added 2nd of 3 mechs.

#6 Nelos Kniven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

Nice

#7 WhineyThePoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

HOLY ARMPITS CRABMAN!

#8 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

this is exactly the quality we deserve, instead we get this;

observe the timber wolf's little details
Posted Image

#9 Stargazzer811

• PipPipPip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAn experimental SLDF McKenna class Battleship, waiting for Clan Nova Cat to return to the Inner Sphere in 3160

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

Can't wait to see what awesomeness you bring for the 3rd King Crab, you know how much I love this mech JJ!

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:45 AM

View Postjjm1, on 14 June 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

Argent Leviathan

----

Torment

---

You've motivated me to end my hiatus from 3D modeling. Am working on Torment's claw.
--------
I know these are built for MWO, however I would like your advice (or simply input) for keeping their flavor while still making them tabletop legal. (So that I can run these mechs in Megamek.)

Here's my initial take:
Argent Leviathan using a KGC 000 as a base.
Still using base KGC 000 Ferro armor and amount. Removed all placeable equipment (original weapons, both CASE, etc).
Unable to use a non-hundred denomination engine, gave an XL 400 engine to reflect the superior speed.

Installed 8 ER ML total, 4 per arm. Two LPL, one per shoulder. Currently have 15 DHS, all engine mounted. 68 heat alpha, 30 heat cooling in 10 seconds. 99.5 tons. No room for a targeting computer, but it would have to be 9 slots and 9 tons to be used with a 100 ton mech. So sadly I won't be able to try this guy out in Megamek.

Using it exactly as I was able to do, however, using up the last half point in extra armor... It destroyed its 4 heatsinks in a single firing and shutdown despite firing all lasers at only 75% power. After another 10 seconds I tried again, with 100% power. Pilot died. And another 6 DHS were lost. (So out of 15 DHS, only had 5 left to salvage).

Its a cool concept and would easily work in MWO... but in Battletech this guy never would have made it past the concept stage as is. Dropping it to medium lasers made it manageable, but still a heat trap in TW/TacOps/Maxtech rules. Dropping the LPL for Clan LPL allowed 2 more DHS but that did almost nothing and ultimately the additional heat made it worse. Dropping to Large Lasers also helped with 4 more DHS (bringing the total to 19 DHS), but even after putting it in 40 below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, just too hot. Though in BT heat management and weapons control are supposed to be a thing, so there's that.

Would like to hear your mods for it to work in BT.
======================================================
So skipping to round number 2.
Torment
Using a KGC 0000 as a base.
Removed stock equipment.
Unable to use a non-hundred denomination for engine, downgraded to 300. Kept as STD.
Fitted all given weapons.
Found the ammunition to be absolutely excessive... Like insanely so. Put it all in anyway.
Found the additional heatsinks to be excessive and unnecessary, actually reduced stock heatsink count by 1 (so 14 DHS), but they are doubles now. Can get warm, but there's slots free now.
After EVERYTHING else (except armor allocation) including just using a STD engine... still only 97 tons.
Test ran. Died by ammo explosion. Added two CASE. Still an ammo exploding death trap.
Quad AMS sounds fancy, but decided to drop 2 of them and dropped 1 ton AMS ammo, and 1 ton HMG ammo. Moved remaining AMS AMMO and HMG ammo to CT. (Two AMS is pretty impressive in BT anyway).

Tied two RAC/5 ammo tons to each RAC/5 for even consumption, the two AMS to the central AMS ammo and the twin HMGs to the central HMG ammo.
For the remaining six tons, I gave the hands two "Small Vibroblades" so that it could perform additional melee attacks.

HMG ammo lasts 250 seconds of standard Battletech use, or about 80-ish seconds of TacOps "Burst Fire", though they generate quite a bit of heat and of the three attempts to really use them they had jammed in 20 to 30 seconds.

Torment's pilot Dale Mason, received the following aToW skill: Melee Master. Allowing the pilot to perform more than one functional melee attack at a time. (Such as Charge then Grapple, or a flurry of three punches, two kicks, etc. Mainly for the ability to make a charging attack and then a second melee move after).

Dale Mason's also given a +1 bonus to initiative, allowing him to move later and better react to enemies as part of his 'showman' persona. (This is proving somewhat advantageous in simultaineous turns with actual combat scenarios, though meaningless in simultaineous turns with him as the only pilot under my control. In traditional taketurn tabletop, this effectively means I usually get to move him later than other characters.)

Thoughts? Want a Torment for your Megamek? It's really fun!

Edited by Koniving, 23 November 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#11 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 November 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

Want a Torment for your Megamek?

For my what? :P

^ Shows how much about tabletop and RPG battletech I know. (Practically zilch).

Very interesting post though, clearly my builds only have MWO's rules and real-time play dynamics in mind, but its good to see them adapted.

One thing I found while researching for Torment is the claw http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Claw. I left it out to avoid too much massaging of the rules, but could be allowed under Solaris 7 rules.

For Argent Leviathan I decided early on to limit my build to Ferro to make a lore-friendly modification of the King Crab. I would have no idea how to make it viable if laser vomit doesn't work as well on paper. Put its AC-20s back where they belong probably :P

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

View Postjjm1, on 23 November 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

For my what? Posted Image

^ Shows how much about tabletop and RPG battletech I know. (Practically zilch).

Very interesting post though, clearly my builds only have MWO's rules and real-time play dynamics in mind, but its good to see them adapted.

One thing I found while researching for Torment is the claw http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Claw. I left it out to avoid too much massaging of the rules, but could be allowed under Solaris 7 rules.

For Argent Leviathan I decided early on to limit my build to Ferro to make a lore-friendly modification of the King Crab. I would have no idea how to make it viable if laser vomit doesn't work as well on paper. Put its AC-20s back where they belong probably Posted Image

I thought of Claws, but... They were 7 tons EACH for a 100 ton mech. That weight varies with how heavy a mech is, of course. Another thought I had was Lift Hoist, which would give it forklift-like functionality (when equipped on arms) and allow it lift mechs with regular actuators. That only weighs 3 tons. While not technically a combat weapon it has combat potential.
I can try to fit the claws in.
-------
Its not so much the laser vomit, that exists a lot in BT mechs. They just spread out the volume of fire.

What I mean is (and how BT weapon damage is intended to be converted in real time; it is not "shoot once in 10 seconds", it's a summary of "what happens in 10 seconds, over-simplified to make it reasonable given the medium.")
Spoiler

So laser vomit in a different form is pretty viable. Alpha strike vomit, not so much. Mechs effectively have a limit of 30 heat at any given time. If there's a chance of going over that when you break down weapons fire by the second, the heat scale reflects this with a shutdown risk and the dice roll ultimately determines how effective the pilot's firing discipline was. If you shut down, it wasn't good enough. If you didn't, then it was pretty good.

As an example, a common one I throw around is Lordred showing me the Dire Wolf prime and firing every single weapon once. 76 heat. He lost his left arm due to an ammo explosion, the pilot got injured twice (pilots have a health of 5) but stayed conscious. Didn't shut down despite the immense heat, coming out to 29 heat after the 10 seconds of cooling is applied. Now technically if he fired everything at once, he'd cook in a cockpit reaching over a thousand degrees.

But fired in succession, with overheated weapons allowed to cool as other weapons take over (the limitation of all weapons is heat on the weapon itself before the heatsinks pump it away into the mech threshold tolerance on its way into the atmosphere around the mech), laser vomit is pretty effective. Your large pulse lasers would fire kind of like laser gatling guns and the ER MLs would (depending on the brand names) vary in intensity from a number of quick but powerful beams with some time in between them, similar to the Spartan Laser from Halo, (And if you play the Battletech PC game, you can hear exactly that effect as the lasers power, fire, then cool) or it will be a beam lasting up to no more than 2 seconds which would deliver the damage much faster than the other method but have a looooong delay before it could be used again.

Ultimately, this problem doesn't really matter, however. Good firing discipline and situational use of the weapons and it is a very effective machine if using Battletech's lore in real time. Weapon redundancy is common, seen the Nova? It can't possible use them all at once, but if toned down to reduced power it has good chances of landing more, weaker, shots. The main reason however, is if you ever take note of how fragile equipment is in Battletech... think of it like playing MWO with no armor, and 1 health on every piece of equipment. That's what it is like to play Battletech with all the rules, because shots can and do Go Through Armor. You can destroy an engine without even doing much to the armor itself if the weapon can pierce well enough, and there's a Barrier Armor Rating, too. So you know, World of Tanks and War Thunder type stuff with armor penetration and hits that do no discernible or reduced damage.

So firing them all at once, or even within 10 seconds isn't viable in any form of Battletech lore. PGI's technically given us near quad heatsinks instead of doubles (much like we have almost 3x earth gravity on all maps) to help facilitate 'fun' when given their interpretation of what a "rating" means. As such they had to redefine how an autocannon even works in terms of damage delivery as a result.

However the weapon setup on the Argent Leviathan is perfectly suited to canon. And lets face it at base amage values you're looking at 6*5 + 2*9 = 30 and 18 = 48 expected damage.
Torment's got 5*2*6 = 30 + 6*3 = 18 = 48 expected damage though at wildly different ranges.

Far as weapons go they are equally matched.

The issue's basically the elements from PGI's game design. Engine variants aren't widely available. In fact an engine 300 for a 25 ton, a 30 ton, a 50 ton, 75 ton and 100 ton mech are all completely incompataible with one another. Going beyond tabletop campaigns into the RPG, unless the brand name is also identical, a 300 engine for an Atlas will not power another 100 ton mech unless it can take that brand name. So you're not going to find a 305, 355, etc, let alone even cross brands. Then there's the TC sizes which I am about to cover.
So yeah, basically the issue here is PGI.

---

The targeting computer
Spoiler

------

The reason the Torment works out is ballistics are incredibly low heat solutions. If it tried to use the RACs to the full potential it could certainly still run the risk of overheat, but you'd probably get them jammed first as it would take well over 30 seconds of fire (or maybe less than 20 seconds if combined with the lasers and the rapid firing of the HMGs).

(Which all BT MGs generate heat, but under normal use the heat isn't significant enough to even be registerable on the heat scale, however in lore the weapons overheat pretty often).

Til then will see if I can manage to fit the Claws on. Given the actual shape of the Torment's claws, however, I believe the small Vibroblade, while not physically the same thing, would effectively give something close to the same effect. Grappling can be done without actually needing claws (just need hand actuators). Instead of pinching, you're getting extra bonus damage from cutting.. which is basically what a claw does anyway. They don't really look 7 tons heavier as they are, yet still look pretty cool. (Course like the Targeting Computers, the claws don't have all their weight in the actual claw, there's a lot of enhancements to strength and the like.

Some Solaris mech artwork related to claws and machine guns, because why not?
Spoiler

Actually your rendition's pretty close. Though I think yours still looks more bladed than jagged grabby (and looks better because of that). Sure the Claw would do 14 damage for 7 tons on the attack and the Small Vibro Blade only does 7 damage for 3 tons on the attack. (Interestingly, a large vibro blade does 14 damage for 7 tons).

I admit an issue with using a vibroblade is it generates heat when on and if not on, does basic mech sword damage (which is a bit less).
I don't know if this in addition to base punch damage or in place of it. Considering that base punching can easily do more than 7 damage I think that this in addtion to the base punch damage.

---

For fun. (Some King Crab lore about their autocannons, one of a few minor differences between the Triple Zero and the Quad Zero, and finally a related FASA Battletech riddle about King Crabs. Read and try to solve if you want!)
Spoiler

If you have read starting from "For Fun", you might have the correct answer to the FASA Battletech's "Queen's Gambit" short story riddle-thing. I think I'll leave that up for a day to see if anyone gets the right answer before I spoil it.

Edited by Koniving, 23 November 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

Aw, no attempts at the Battletech riddle about King Crabs yet? Kinda figured some old BT fans would already know the riddle's answer if they had seen it. :(

#14 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

The King Crab is bluffing. The 3 seconds had already passed; And even if they hadn't, you won't be able to deal enough damage to it to kill it before it kills you.

#15 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:27 AM

Awesome concepts jjm1!

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

Well that counts.

View PostCatten Hart, on 25 November 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

The King Crab is bluffing. The 3 seconds had already passed; And even if they hadn't, you won't be able to deal enough damage to it to kill it before it kills you.

Correct, it is bluffing to lure you out.
When the pilot given this hypothetical situation tried to answer what he would do, he was cut off with "It doesn't matter, its a four-zero model. Fact is you never had a chance to begin with."

How to draw the conclusion: There is no external visual difference between a KGC 000 and KGC 0000 according to lore. TRO 2750 (TRO 3025 Revised, not 2750) specifically states the only way to tell the difference is when they fire. TRO 2750 says the Deathgivers are among the most potent weapons ever created, while the inferior Imperator D autocannons need a few bursts (TRO 3025 revised). They also gave you the number of shots. A triple 000 only has 12 shots per magazine/cassette/reload with 5 reloads per ton of ammo (extrapolated from shot count and damage done by the Marauder in 2750, which at 120mm [same as Deathgiver] 3 shots accomplish 5 damage.). Though it doesn't actually say whether it fired from one or both guns so they could kinda get you with that. Supposedly though, that would mean it has at most 10 damage that it could deliver on you (6 shots) if they are Deathgivers which wouldn't kill you if it was bluffing but still a KGC-000, so you'd have a chance.

Admittedly by the way it tells the story, it just closed its claws after you got into position and you're being rushed to think do you move or hold fast in an instant decision. So you have 3 seconds to make your move and the sooner you make it the better.

But there's one more piece of information the story automatically believes you are already aware of... King Crab triple 0s are almost extinct by 3025, beyond encountering extremely influential pilots and locations, you'd never see a triple 0 in your life, therefore it is almost certainly a quad zero and the Queen's Gambit, also known as the Queen's Bluff, plays on the King Crab's reputation rather than the fact: there are less than 200 King Crab triple 0s left in the Inner Sphere and 140 of them are in the hands of Comstar, which when finally put to use about half of them came out as the Clan Buster King Crabs, heavily modified and rigged with LB-10xs. The remaining sixty are scattered about with the highest collection of them in some Steiner collector's garage not far from Dust Bowl, he had 3 of them I believe and two of them weren't functional as they were mothballed for parts, since finding parts to fix one was "next to impossible."

Some of that was contained within the same issue as the Queen's Gambit from BattleTechnology, which some info from that issue made it into the 1989 TRO 2750 and 1996 revised TRO 3025 (the original 3025 did not include the King Crab).

TL;DR:
In the Queen's Gambit scenario, you're screwed because its a KGC-0000, they never have to change cassettes to keep firing. While triple 0s do reload and that reputation is in the minds of all pilots, you will probably never encounter a triple 0 in your entire life and as such, the pilot the hypothetical challenge is given to is effectively told he's dumb for relying on reputations.

(Catten is correct, the Hangar Queen aka the King Crab is bluffing to lure the pilot out; he never needs to change cassettes/magazines on his Imperator Ds and it is a near statistical impossibility for it to be a triple 0 KGC with Deathgivers.)

#17 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

Give this man a job!

#18 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

View PostKoniving, on 25 December 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

(Catten is correct, the Hangar Queen aka the King Crab is bluffing to lure the pilot out; he never needs to change cassettes/magazines on his Imperator Ds and it is a near statistical impossibility for it to be a triple 0 KGC with Deathgivers.)

So I was right, but for the wrong reasons. Nice to learn that tidbit about KGC-000 and KGC-0000 numbers, though.

#19 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

TAKE MY MONEY!

I love the torment concept!
I already use a similar build on one of my crabs; 6hmgs - 2 mrm30's - 2 snub ppcs. :3
I call her the Toxic Avenger :3.

#20 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

BUMP~ Please try your hand at modeling a 010!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users