More Immersion

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Should QP be more immersive? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the game needs more immersion to make it more enjoyable?

1. Yes, that's a fantastic idea, Dewd. (14 votes [82.35%])

Percentage of vote: 82.35%

2. No, Dewd, that's a waste and your idea is kinda dumb. (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:11 AM

It can't be a bad idea so I won't get into the business of agreeing or disagreeing. Though, it's not a particularly pressing matter either. It'll entirely depend on whether or not PGI wants to squeeze in a little extra time for those kinds of things. Which, I'm honestly not hopeful about, but it can happen.

Edited by Livaria, 21 June 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#2 Leopra

Rookie

• The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

Okay to help with immersion.. Firstly: Fix the ragdolling.. giant robotic vehicles are not humans and thus should not be ragdolling across the ground, legs flailing in the air as such. Instead their should be explosions and, at least HEAVIER ragdolling effects, not so humany bouncy like, in which if a right torso blows killing the engine, the whole right side should go in a bang of glory and the whole mech is propelled to fall to its left side from the explosion shockwave. Same thing for it hit went down on the right. You can use the hit boxes of the center torso to determine if the killing blow was from front or back and thus have an explosion doing the same. If the cockpit goes, which hardly rarely barely ever happens, simply a head explosion, not as strong and the mech just sort of powers down right there on its feet. If a leg is hit and becomes useless, please have the leg dragging or malfunctioning. not working properly. if both legs go down, have the mech fall in the direction it was moving. Having a more realistic death helps with immersion.

Also pilot suits. It would be nice to allow players to choose between a mail and female pilot suit, also allow a person to change the style and coloration of the suit. Not all pilots wear the same exact suit as another. especially when its clan vs inner sphere, let along the style and coloration between each army or even mercenary units. Allowing players to immerse themselves more into their pilot with modifying their suits and using the suits of the factions they align will be of big benefit and allow them to connect more with their pilot.

This next one is something that could be a mix for some people. I personally would like a little "story" information about the mechs, as in, who built it, which faction/house fields which mechs. It would be nice to know for instance which mechs are Kuritan based. Beyond that, knowing a little history of each one such as when it was fielded in a timeline would be cool too. Same would be great for the faction play in all the planets as well. Simple little descriptions of each world would be awesome.

#3 Doc Arachinus

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 44 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:53 PM

I want an actual base. if your not in a unit you can just have a hangar where you keep all your mechs and inventory and can run around looking at it and any trophys you have.
If your in a unit you can build an actual awesome looking base. Kinda like strong holds in Star wars or the ones they have in GTA. lots of potential here. while would have no effect overall on game would give players a reason to sink money and time into something new.

#4 Erebus Alpha

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

I like the idea of more immersion, but it's unlikely to happen. That would require the devs to exert effort where there is no direct correlation to it yielding more money. Statistically speaking, the devs do that very unreliably.

I especially like the idea of the camera scene showing mechs cresting a hill before a battle, especially if it's not a pre-rendered cutscene and actually shows the enemy mechs. Getting a glimpse of the enemy mech composition would be a huge leap forward in intel. More information about the enemy benefits both sides.

View PostLeopra, on 22 June 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

...I personally would like a little "story" information about the mechs, as in, who built it, which faction/house fields which mechs. It would be nice to know for instance which mechs are Kuritan based. ...

You could probably find this information on Sarna, although obtaining this info through the client seems like it would be an appropriate change.

View PostRashkar Harper, on 22 June 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

... would give players a reason to sink money and time into something new.

MWO is already a colossal time & money sink for players. When you are bored one day, work out how much it costs to buy every color of paint in this game.

Edited by Falconer Sword, 26 June 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#5 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

I think it would be nice to have a Wiki like Sarna in the game and not at an external site.
It could be very simple in design. Some rows on the left with different topics like Mechs, Weapons, Houses, Clans and a search option.
The middle would be a textwindow and to the right a small space to show the ingame model of the mech, weapon or house banner. Either as a static image or the ingame model in 3D...kinda like the Mechlab, except that instead of your internals of the mech you see the history of it.

Except the implementation/coding of the UI the rest should be easy enough to do that a temp should be able to do it...just provide him with a link to Sarna.net
Make it a low priority task that will be done little by little with every patch

#6 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

Here's a list of things I put together a while back. It's a collection ideas that would help with immersion, and it'd be awesome if they started addressing even 1 or 2 every month or few months.

https://mwomercs.com...rove-immersion/

#7 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

If there is any immersion I would like to see, it would be in Faction Play. Each faction should have RP elements to make them unique for both IS and Clans, like having people who brief you on objectives. Most specifically, the people who brief you are NPC faction leaders in the form of portraits. This would add to the immersion because it gives you the feeling of actually having a purpose instead of just fighting with no clear goal. NPC faction leaders could even appear to introduce you to their faction, let you know events, and reward you with items. After all, if it can be done with Captain Adam in the Mechwarrior Academy, then why not in Faction Play?

Something like this:
Posted Image

or this
Spoiler

Edited by Will9761, 28 June 2017 - 08:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users