About Armor

7 replies to this topic

#1 TrollNinja

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

So i just started playing MWO for the past 2 weeks and already bought an oni-iic-a and went full brawler. After a while I started to watch a video by moltenmetal here and saw that his armor for his mech is way higher than what I have (for example my current center torso only has 105 while his has 119, and so on).

So my question is, is this attributed to his skill setup (i am still getting exp for it) or do i need to buy something else like replace the actual core and other basic structure? If I need to replace, how do i do it?

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

It's the skill tree no doubt. Mayhaps he front loaded all his armour, but odds are, skill tree. I put 23 points at minimum in my survivabilty tree, ignoring the branches to dive straight to the bottom where it's chock full of goodies. Every single mech.

There is no other way to get armour past max you see in the loadout screen.

Good luck brawling, and have fun out there.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 17 June 2017 - 10:45 AM.

#3 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

Orion 2c a battlemech not omni you cant switch parts, as for why his tankier then your i ques you dont have all the survival node yet.

On 1:20 he on the survival tree which give him more armor/structure.

#4 KanKrusha

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

Do you mind if I necro and ask a question? I am new and can't yet start threads.

I have a jagermech with nothing but a heat sink in the right torso. Has a standard engine. Can I strip the armour off the right torso to zero safely? If I do this I can get an extra ML in:

I can't decide if I am crossing the fine line between genius and stupidity

#5 jd7710

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 79 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationmid atlantic

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

to answer your question no you can not strip all the armor off safely. 1 med laser gets you 5 extra fire power but about well placed machine gun rounds and you will lose the whole right side of your mech. arm and all its weapons with the loss of the torso. better to strip leg armor than to take off the torso

#6 KanKrusha

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thanks, got my short range guns on that arm so would be goof to hang on to it :-)

#7 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:36 AM

View PostKanKrusha, on 03 October 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

Do you mind if I necro and ask a question? I am new and can't yet start threads.

I have a jagermech with nothing but a heat sink in the right torso. Has a standard engine. Can I strip the armour off the right torso to zero safely? If I do this I can get an extra ML in:

I can't decide if I am crossing the fine line between genius and stupidity

You never, ever want to strip armor from your torso sections. If you lose a side torso, you lose that arm along with it -- you're giving the opponent an entire component for free.

If you can spare the critical slots, switch in an LFE. That will save you more than enough weight for an extra laser, and unlike isXL engines, LFE is safe for losing a side torso.

Would help if you could link to a Smurfy of your current build.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

View PostKanKrusha, on 03 October 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Thanks, got my short range guns on that arm so would be goof to hang on to it :-)

If you have anything in the right arm, then the answer is no. Lose the right torso, your right arm will fall off.

Also any hits to the right torso will transfer (well 40% of it will) to your center torso, basically making your center torso hitbox almost twice its normal size.

You can strip most of the armor from a rear torso, especially if you are a long range build. But never strip it from the front. Reducing ever so slightly, maybe, never remove it entirely.

What you can do in 'MOST' mechs, is reduce the head armor. I usually run 2 head armor if I'm strapped for tonnage.

Heads, especially as a new player in the lower end of the tier system, are very difficult to hit as the hitbox area is very small.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users