#41 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 29 June 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

Truth is div d-e players don't really learn by getting smash by top3 in 2-3 minutes.

Big + to this, I think that heaps of teams forget about this.
Also top teams do not want to smash lower skill teams in 2-3 minutes.
  • Do we have the player base for an 8v8 ranked game mode anymore? ( MRBC is not the same as a ranked mode)
  • With that player base do we have the range of skill so each teams feels like its a good fair and balance fight?
  • Is the rank mode only a seeder for worlds, if so that is fine, or can we turn into a great mode going pass worlds?
  • How do other low pop games get ranked mode to work, why do they work, what can PGI steal?
  • Are the rules around rank mode to open ( PGI In my opinion only go from one extreme to the other, never middle ground)
  • If you where not going to get top 5, why would you bother going to get smashed by a good team looking to farm?
  • Would ranking players on skill(SR), over just a team ranking be good for the mode, that way a teams skill would be the players SR added together

Edited by live1991, 29 June 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#42 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

You've gotta do it in leagues.

Take SC2 as an example. 5 games puts you into a "league" or "level", based on your performance in those matches.

So you end up anywhere from Bronze (Silver, Gold) to Diamond from memory. So you essentially have to "ride out" the first few matches. Also the ELO system there is decent so if you "game" the first 5 matches and your next 5 you roll people, it works that out etc.

If a Div E team knew they might only have to play Div A teams, 5 times - then - that might be enough. But that said the population required for that to work would need to have a higher volume of teams than MRBC IMO (4-6 a Division), and MWO doesn't have that population and hence MRBC does it's own seeding/grading.

So the quick/easy solution is not immediately evident to me...

#43 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:52 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 29 June 2017 - 10:24 PM, said:

You've gotta do it in leagues.

Take SC2 as an example. 5 games puts you into a "league" or "level", based on your performance in those matches.

So you end up anywhere from Bronze (Silver, Gold) to Diamond from memory. So you essentially have to "ride out" the first few matches. Also the ELO system there is decent so if you "game" the first 5 matches and your next 5 you roll people, it works that out etc.

If a Div E team knew they might only have to play Div A teams, 5 times - then - that might be enough. But that said the population required for that to work would need to have a higher volume of teams than MRBC IMO (4-6 a Division), and MWO doesn't have that population and hence MRBC does it's own seeding/grading.

So the quick/easy solution is not immediately evident to me...

Seeding into Divisions is a good start, but really, PGI needs to incentivize the Ranked Play. Much like how League of legends gives Portrait Borders and special Hero skins that only ranked play players get at end of season, PGI should provide something of the sort. Special mech variant with c-bill earning bonus that only Ranked queue players can earn, with a standard variant that will get released 1/2 through next season to general public. Something along those lines

#44 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

IMHO comp 8v8 should have replaced 12v12 QP group queue with full cbill earnings and some sort of bonus rewards.

And maybe the ability to queue as 2 4 or 8

Edited by Cadoazreal, 30 June 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#45 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 30 June 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

IMHO comp 8v8 should have replaced 12v12 QP group queue with full cbill earnings and some sort of bonus rewards.

And maybe the ability to queue as 2 4 or 8

That's more akin to individual ranked queue, not team seedings for the top-12 eventual world championship. Two entirely different things really. Your idea doesn't really, cleanly feed into the WC at all. I mean, it'd be a kick *** mode and all, don't get me wrong but it's not getting after the WC issue.

#46 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

Maybe the lack of teams iz coz teams arnt ready yet and don't wanna rek their TSR thingie
I mean if I had a team I wouldn't comp que willy nilley.
Of course you would game the TSR thingie, like everything.

Especially since it's seeding for the World's

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 01 July 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#47 ZealotTheFallen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

TOO little way too late. Population is at all time low and is still declining. A good mmo that lasts had communities where people had fun and have groups that worked together to beat big bad enemy. This has become Call of Robot and the mindset in this game now it be at the top no matter what. No fun for honest laid back joes that want to enjoy a battle with only human skill involved.

#48 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

View PostZealotTheFallen, on 01 July 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

No fun for honest laid back joes that want to enjoy a battle with only human skill involved.

Is this a hackusation Posted Image ? You're in the wrong sub-forum, laid back joe's wouldn't play the comp queue anyways

#49 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 30 June 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

That's more akin to individual ranked queue, not team seedings for the top-12 eventual world championship. Two entirely different things really. Your idea doesn't really, cleanly feed into the WC at all. I mean, it'd be a kick *** mode and all, don't get me wrong but it's not getting after the WC issue.

It can be done, other games use the Average of the players playing to work out the team "SR".

12 v 12 would suck, 8v8 and smaller is good as the lower number you have the more skill per player needed.

#50 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

It could be done, but they've expressly set this up for teams of 8 to fight. It removes any chance of blaming the "others" in holding you back if you go in with a 4-man and get beaten etc. Build/join a team, fight in groups of 8. Seems fair.

There's a difference between "ranked" queue and this queue and they've made their choice. As a seeding method, it's meh, but it's better than last years. I'd hope they'd learn from this on how to incentivize more to join the comp queue, but we'll have to see.

#51 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:59 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 02 July 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

It could be done, but they've expressly set this up for teams of 8 to fight. It removes any chance of blaming the "others" in holding you back if you go in with a 4-man and get beaten etc. Build/join a team, fight in groups of 8. Seems fair.

There's a difference between "ranked" queue and this queue and they've made their choice. As a seeding method, it's meh, but it's better than last years. I'd hope they'd learn from this on how to incentivize more to join the comp queue, but we'll have to see.

Yeah, i hope after this bad seeding time is over, they rework rank Q and try and make it fun.

#52 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:09 PM

View Postlive1991, on 02 July 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

Yeah, i hope after this bad seeding time is over, they rework rank Q and try and make it fun.

You and I both :P

#53 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

inb4 they shut off Comp Play after seeding is done and only turn it on during "qualifiers"

#54 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

View PostQueenBlade, on 03 July 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

inb4 they shut off Comp Play after seeding is done and only turn it on during "qualifiers"

dont worry, CW will still be there

#55 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 29 June 2017 - 10:52 PM, said:

Seeding into Divisions is a good start, but really, PGI needs to incentivize the Ranked Play. Much like how League of legends gives Portrait Borders and special Hero skins that only ranked play players get at end of season, PGI should provide something of the sort. Special mech variant with c-bill earning bonus that only Ranked queue players can earn, with a standard variant that will get released 1/2 through next season to general public. Something along those lines

Hm... I mentioned rewards months ago about this queue. Gee, I wonder how this fell on deaf ears.

View PostKin3ticX, on 03 July 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

dont worry, CW will still be there

Of course... with very few playing during the grabbag event (because 1 20+m CW/FP match = 1 Scouting/Quick Play match amirite?).

I talk about bribes like it should be a thing, but considering that "fun" is being nickled and dimed often (not that you'll find it in the comp queue necessarily) it makes you wonder what PGI "thinks" is a good deal vs what is "actually a good deal" (like, basically, testing your own prize/reward methodology by the time/effort it takes to get something while not self-injecting MC/C-bills to accomplish said task).

#56 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 01 July 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

Maybe the lack of teams iz coz teams arnt ready yet and don't wanna rek their TSR thingie
I mean if I had a team I wouldn't comp que willy nilley.
Of course you would game the TSR thingie, like everything.

Especially since it's seeding for the World's

We've just finished a MRBC season. 70 odd teams. If there was a time they were "ready", it is now.

I can assure you readiness is not the reason.

Plus you can just "disband" your team and create another, instant PSR reset.

#57 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 03 July 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

We've just finished a MRBC season. 70 odd teams. If there was a time they were "ready", it is now.

I can assure you readiness is not the reason.

Plus you can just "disband" your team and create another, instant PSR reset.

It's not readiness, it's burnout and teams wanting a break. And of the teams taking a break, many are debating whether or not they want to bother with this. Very simple, largely transparent issue.

#58 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

I'm well aware that it's burnout, I'm in that boat as pretty much everyone else is.

Just pointing out that it was not anything to do with being "ready".

Plus the MWOOC 2016 was such a slog, I'm still wary of being caught in such a long / drawn out (and poorly communicated) event like that again, as is everyone else.

There might be a late "dash" to the finish line, but that's about it IMO.

#59 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 03 July 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

I'm well aware that it's burnout, I'm in that boat as pretty much everyone else is.

Just pointing out that it was not anything to do with being "ready".

Plus the MWOOC 2016 was such a slog, I'm still wary of being caught in such a long / drawn out (and poorly communicated) event like that again, as is everyone else.

There might be a late "dash" to the finish line, but that's about it IMO.

Probably so. The reset issue is mildly troubling on the face of it, but the reality is you'll have to get some quality wins en masse eventually, because as the top teams trickle in and get more active, 1500 team Elo won't be anywhere near the ballpark after a certain point.

As few matches as have been played, with Emp already over 1700, Eon at 1600+ - I don't see teams coming in the middle of August and winning a bunch against the tougher teams if they're a "resetting" team. Otherwise they likely wouldn't have needed to reset to begin with.

#60 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

I don't have any issues with the competitive queue, I think it is the more well designed element in this game. The only thing that I would change about it is adding cbill earning for playing it. The only problem competitive queue faces is the lack of teams queuing for games.

This could be to burn out, teams who don't have 8 pilots, teams not interested in that kind of competitive play or teams that chicken out because they don't want to have to fight Div A teams. I can only hope that burn out is the reason so eventually the competitive queue will get more filled because right now it is the only part of this game that is interesting to me anymore.

Quick play has become to diluted over the last year that I can only play it so much before I want to shoot myself. I sincerly hope that the competitive queue is not just for the World Championships but will be kept active as an actual queue when it's over where teams can relax more about their ELO placement and just drop and play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users