#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

My 7 year old son knows how to use the skill tree, and leveled up Mechs with me last night.

The skill tree is so convoluted, bloated, confusing, and nonsensical that a 7 year old can use it. I think that had to be said.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Does that mean it's a good idea?

#3 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

My cat can play an LRM boat so what is your point?

#4 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 21 June 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

My cat can play an LRM boat so what is your point?

I raise you to a car-driving dog.

#5 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 21 June 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

I raise you to a car-driving dog.

I think one could actually prove that playing MWO is harder than driving a car. Well, playing MWO in a non-LRM boat anyway.

#6 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

It's not difficult to use. It's just tedious and bloated.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 21 June 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

I think one could actually prove that playing MWO is harder than driving a car. Well, playing MWO in a non-LRM boat anyway.

Basics maybe. But getting good score along with it, is not necessarily part of it.

Learning how to drive a car is easy. But winning in the professional scene, either by derby, by nascar, etc. that's different. Just as it's different in learning how to lurm, and then how to get good scores while lurming.

#8 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 June 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

My 7 year old son knows how to use the skill tree, and leveled up Mechs with me last night.

The skill tree is so convoluted, bloated, confusing, and nonsensical that a 7 year old can use it. I think that had to be said.

I love this thread title. I think I might have to keep it handy and bump it every time someone starts a new thread about how complicated and time consuming the skill tree is.

#9 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 21 June 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Basics maybe. But getting good score along with it, is not necessarily part of it.

Learning how to drive a car is easy. But winning in the professional scene, either by derby, by nascar, etc. that's different. Just as it's different in learning how to lurm, and then how to get good scores while lurming.

Diriving a car competitively or just pushing your car to the limit is not what i meant. I meant your typical day to day driving.

And no, its easy to get good scores LRMing unless your team is bad and you are expected to carry. But we really don't need to go down this road in this thread.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

Dude, people could "use" the mechlab when UI 2.0 debuted, but that didn't mean it was done properly. The complaining was real because it was bad.

The Skill Tree is literally facing the same issues UI 2.0... sure it works, but it's insane waste of time when you can't even preprogram a template to copy from one mech to another.

Edited by Deathlike, 21 June 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

7 year old huh?

Okay, do what I did: ask your teenagers. Show them. Show this game to potential players with disposable income and get back to me with their honest review of not just the skills tree.

My teens said and I quote: "Dad your game is lame, deal with it" (that was the boy). The other one (the girl older with more income) said ...with specific reference to the skills tree and I quote "why would anyone play this mess". ( wish I had a gif of her expression when I showed it to her for the first time).

They both grew up with their man child father showing them Battletech. They both enjoy games. They both spend a bit of their hard earned cash on ones other than this. But yeah, my 7 year old likes the game too. To bad he is not a paying customer though.

Edited by Bud Crue, 21 June 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#12 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

There are plenty of design elements in the Skill Tree's UI that would benefit from relatively easy fixes.
  • Clicking through nodes rapidly sometimes causes mis-clicks due to the game interpreting the click action as a click-and-drag, so you have to slow yourself down. This could be fixed by increasing the threshold for detecting a click-and-drag action.
  • Maximizing a skill tree requires clicking on every single node in the tree in a valid order. You could alleviate this by adding an "activate all" button for each tree.
  • Activating a skill at a bottom of a tree requires clicking several nodes in the tree from top to bottom in order to reach it. If clicking a node automatically filled the path from the desired node to the top, that would be very convenient.
  • Adding skills from the GSP/HSP pool and the XP/GXP/HXP pool requires two separate actions. Very tedious. That should all be one menu.
  • The Apply button should automatically bring up the "add skills points" menu if the player doesn't have enough skills points available. Instead, you have to bring the "add skills" menu up separately, add the skills needed, and then hit apply. I can't tell you the number of times I've forgotten to apply the skill tree changes because of this.
  • Because skills are specific to individual mechs, saving a loadout should prompt you to also save your skill tree changes if you've made any, because skills are now part of the loadout. Many times I've saved a loadout, thought I was finished thanks to years of conditioning from the old skill system, attempted to do something else, then had that popup reminding me that I have skill tree stuff to change.

#13 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

View PostCementi, on 21 June 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

I love this thread title. I think I might have to keep it handy and bump it every time someone starts a new thread about how complicated and time consuming the skill tree is.

A 7-year-old doesn't necessarily have the life experience to recognize a bad system when they see it, whereas most MWO players have probably used skill systems in other games that were far better-designed than MWO's.

I don't remember a whole lot about 7-year-old me, but I can tell you that I probably wasn't watching Power Rangers or Dragon Ball Z with a critical eye.

#14 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 21 June 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Does that mean it's a good idea?

Red herring – distracting by deviating from the topic at hand by introducing a separate argument that you believe is easier to speak to.

How about you comment on the OP's actual point that if a 7 year old can understand the skill tree it should be easy for anyone to understand?

#15 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

View PostCoolant, on 21 June 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Red herring – distracting by deviating from the topic at hand by introducing a separate argument that you believe is easier to speak to.

How about you comment on the OP's actual point that if a 7 year old can understand the skill tree it should be easy for anyone to understand?

And you completely miss the point of the post you are quoting. Just because it's easy to understand, doesn't make it good. Easy doesn't matter if it's not good for the game. And many feel that it isn't good for the game, which is the point of that quote. It's a counter point, not a red herring.

#16 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

View PostCoolant, on 21 June 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

It is easy to understand the concept of pulling weeds from a garden. Doesn't mean it's not tedious.

#17 Erik Ouzbel

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 21 June 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

It is easy to understand the concept of pulling weeds from a garden. Doesn't mean it's not tedious.

This. It's also very easy for those unfamiliar with the game to make poor choices and make a horrible build. The jump jet tree should only show up on variants that have jump jets. Improved gyro is useless since all it does is reduce a mild inconvenience. Quick startup is almost useless. Survivability always helps, but being able to see how each section increases with each click would help to shave a couple points off of a build.

Is it better than the old 3x system? In a way. You don't have to buy three of a kind to max the mastery. The tree still needs a ton of work. Combining the different ammo bonuses into a single node type would help. Maybe toss in the Guass charge with the UAC or laser duration nodes. Or on a unit with no energy weapons, have that bonus apply to either missile or ballistic cool-down. If they want to bring back more quirks, maybe have it so you spend so many in a certain tree to obtain it.

#18 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

I don't feel like it's hard or tedious. Just takes a minute for me.

#19 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:22 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 21 June 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

7 year old huh?

Okay, do what I did: ask your teenagers. Show them. Show this game to potential players with disposable income and get back to me with their honest review of not just the skills tree.

My teens said and I quote: "Dad your game is lame, deal with it" (that was the boy). The other one (the girl older with more income) said ...with specific reference to the skills tree and I quote "why would anyone play this mess". ( wish I had a gif of her expression when I showed it to her for the first time).

They both grew up with their man child father showing them Battletech. They both enjoy games. They both spend a bit of their hard earned cash on ones other than this. But yeah, my 7 year old likes the game too. To bad he is not a paying customer though.

I have to ask, what games they actually like.. Group think is so strong in kids today it's not even funny.

#20 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:26 AM

A monkey can press 91 random button too. Whats your point?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users