pilot skill rating fix skill fix pilot tier fix

14 replies to this topic

#1 Leopra

Rookie

• The Fang
  • The Fang
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:55 PM

Since I've not found a good place it seems to suggestions for fixes/development, I am posting this here. So forgive if I've gotten the wrong spot for it.

I've recently gotten back into MWO several weeks ago. The most disappointing thing I've been greeted with my coming back is the poorly designed cookie cutter skill rating system that is for the most part, just a big complex algorithm that breaks down to just whether you win or lose a match and not based upon your actual skill as a pilot. This links into a discussion about matchmaking BASED upon skill rating as a determination for match ups in the gameplay.

Everytime I have lost a match, no matter WHAT I have done in the way of playing, my skill goes down MASSIVELY. If I win a match it either stays as is or barely ticks a nanometer up. This is more so indicating that despite whatever the developers will claim is a big complex algorithm, it sums up to whether you win or lose a match not matter how well you actually did in the match. This has become a massively rampant problem all throughout the multiplayer, pvp gaming world in which developers make up some lengthy line of code that only gets based upon whether a player won or lost their match and effects their skill only on that ONE condition. Then they get teamed UP with, not against, players of similar skill which it based upon, did these players lose a match or win a match, at which point, each pilot is matched up with people who either lost their previous match or won it. But they can end up matched against a group of players far more highly skilled than them who win most of their matches and thus ends in the result of a discouraging to continue playing trouncing the losing players get put through. A players skill has not been based solely on the player themselves since the days of Halo 2. Since then its been based on how well has a player's TEAM done in winning or losing a match.

Trust me as I have studied this through reviewing of games AND in my college degree of game design. When a player is being rated upon THEIR skill it should be THEIR skill and THEIR skill alone and not based upon whether they win or lose a match. Thus I would like to convince, or least put a 4inch long bug in the developers' ears about stepping up to the plate, saying no to failed cookie cutter skill base rating systems and finally make one to base upon actual pilot skills. To help:

A pilots skill rating tier should be based upon what you see in the end results of the game. All the points they scored during a match for what they did. But here is the deal, a players skill rating should NEVER decrease AT ALL, except under ONE condition, team damaging and killing. Player SHOULD be punished for being [Redacted] to their team. But as it was abused in Halo 2 which lead to the ending of actual skill rating and lead to simple win/loss rating, players who do such to try and drop their skill ratings inorder to fight lesser players should never lose a skill rating, even if they lose all progress they make skill wise to increase their rating. It just cant go up, thus keeping those abusers battling skilled players. Though if they continue such gameplay they should be dealt with as Rockstar Games and several others have done. Put them in the [Redacted] matchmaking lists, have them matched up with players just like them [Redacted].

You can give players a goal to reach in each match. And the higher a skill tier is the higher the goal. Such as so many points are needed to be earned in a match to gain some skill rating. That way they lazy ones don't just sit there do a little damage but get rewarded for it, instead they have to work for it if they wanna rank up. So say if they lose a match or damage a friendly, they lose points, which can keep them from reaching the goal to gain skill rating. If they win a match they can get a bonus to help. But all in all, a player can truly be rated upon their actual skill which wont be built up like an Exp meter but can still reflect their actual skill and allow them to increase that skill, but never decrease it simply cause their teamed lost a match despite how good their performance was, nor have it decrease below their current rating. Only time they should lose progress would be when it involves team killing and lots of team damaging. That is when progress begins to decrease. Otherwise progress will increase as a player increases their skill.

From that, actually basing it upon their skill, the match making can be setup to were players of the same skill or skill right below and perhaps even right above their rating, depending on how large the player community is, can be matched up randomly on BOTH teams for a match and no longer basing the setup on a Winner VS Loser take. This way players get matched up with those of actual skill rating based upon THEIR actual skill in the game and not have to be so one sided 95% of the time.

Implementing this ACTUAL skill based system for a skill rating along with matchmaking setup based off the actual skill rating of a player will help improve multiplayer dramatically along with keeping players happy and more into playing the game along with giving them something to strive for in increasing their skill. It just wont punish them for having an off day, or having the bad luck of being on crappy teams, or allow trolls to bring down the fun of the game.

Edited by draiocht, 23 June 2017 - 06:53 AM.
inappropriate language

#2 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

Only purpose of PSR is to help MM not match new players (T5) against very experienced players (T1, T2). We don't have mech tiers like World of Tanks or World or Warships.

#3 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:27 AM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
Feature Suggestions.[/mod]

#4 Erebus Alpha

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

I regularly lose matches, but I am well on my way to tier 1. Why?

I do a lot of damage. Even on a loss, even with incompetent teammates, I will deliberately pick a friendly assault, stick near them, and attempt to completely ruin the day of whatever tries to shoot them. If you do 400 damage or more on a match, you have a very good chance of getting NO skill rating change from a loss; it doesn't go up or down. 600+ damage usually guarantees that you will not lose skill rating if your team loses.

Once you do that reliably, your losses do not affect your skill rating. It merely rises with every victory.

More interestingly:

I did 850 damage and got 4 kills in my Supernova recently, although the rest of the team decided to scatter and die like a bunch of idiots. I nearly carried us to victory, but I lost too much armor and structure to finish the remaining enemy mechs.

My skill rating went UP from losing a match - because I performed so exceedingly well.

You have to know your build, know your enemies, fire accurately, work with teammates (even when they do laughably dumb things), maneuver appropriately, and spread damage by torso twisting.

The system does work as intended for making highly skilled players rise to tier 1. I would suggest browsing some of the battlemech builds on the forums, or if C-bills are not an issue, wild trial-and-error experimentation.

Edited by Falconer Sword, 23 June 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#5 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:54 AM

But here is the deal, a players skill rating should NEVER decrease AT ALL, except under ONE condition, team damaging and killing.

I would disagree. Any useful rating system for balancing queues must allow ups and downs for the player rating. The rating is an estimation of the system how good the player is compared t other players, so the system can ensure that people of similar skill level play together, and a weak player on one team is balaned by a weak player on the other, and a strong player on one team is balanced by a strong player on the other.

A rating that only ever goes up is just a levelling system that serves no useful purpose. You could just as well have "player rating = time spent in matches".

#6 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Funny, I was going to complain that my rating goes up on both all my wins, and all my losses, meaning my master plan to drop to tier 5 will never come true.

Edited by NlGHTBlRD, 27 June 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#7 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

I agree that match win/loss shouldn't have as big an effect on the skill rating as it currently does, but it shouldn't be a nil either.

Skill rating should really be based on the match score of the player, and have a win be the equivalent of +80 match points for skill rating, and a loss be a -80. Then you just need to decide on a base match score for an increase in skill rating for each skill level.

My suggestion:
Tier 5 increase rating: 160 points or higher
Tier 4 increase rating: 240 points or higher
Tier 3 increase rating: 320 points or higher
Tier 2 increase rating: 400 points or higher
Tier 1 increase rating: 480 points or higher

Lower than that for the adjusted (with the 80 point win/loss adjustment)would decrease the skill rating. Results are that for tier 5 to increase their rating, they have to get at least 81 points per match won and 161 per loss to increase their rating. (161/241 for T4, and so on) The system could even be set to 'cost' you a certain number of rating points for each game you play (160 for T5) with the bottom limit being the bottom of T5. Basically turn skill rating into a currency used solely for playing matches, with the minimum amount being 160. (just enough to play a T5 match)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 01 July 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#8 DaMuchi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:04 AM

I dont know about you guys but i gain Tier points on 70% of my games and don't lose tier points iin like 20% of my games.

#9 SgtPorkchop91

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:41 AM

I used an Annihilator 1A. Did almost 500 damage and killed 4 mechs. My Pilot Skill rating went down. What is this BS

#10 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:05 AM

View PostSgtPorkchop91, on 04 April 2021 - 10:41 AM, said:

I used an Annihilator 1A. Did almost 500 damage and killed 4 mechs. My Pilot Skill rating went down. What is this BS

It is not a ********. PSR compares your performance against the performance of the other players.

Could you post the screenshot of the match score table, please?

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:35 AM

View PostSgtPorkchop91, on 04 April 2021 - 10:41 AM, said:

That’s what happens if your team loses and you’re not in the top 25% of match scores for both teams combined. Screenshot it next time, as suggested.

#12 Vadred

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:54 AM

Why necro a 2017 post? There's a new topic with more suggestions and screenshots.

Found here
https://mwomercs.com...-based-on-kmdd/

#13 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:52 PM

My PSR is always going up.. Its really frustrating.

#14 Vadred

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:18 PM

Earning 3/4 kills on a loss, 1 solo kill, 1 KMDD, & 1 assist.
445 damage & 330 taken /w a light mech, a close 4th on my team.
Last man standing /w high involvement.

= pilot rating gain

This is ridiculous.
Clearly I piloted well; and did my job & then some.

https://imgur.com/gallery/d8FIzpj

#15 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:45 AM

Necro'ing this old thread doesn't do anything constructive. The parameters are too different.
Posted Image

Thread locked. Use https://mwomercs.com...-based-on-kmdd/ to discuss. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users