40 replies to this topic

#1 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:31 PM

To quote Edward R. Murrow, "this just might do nobody any good."

The opinions I express in this address are my own and do not represent the opinions of any of the organizations I have dropped with, joined, or currently am enlisted to.

Clan Wolf is in trouble. Its ranks include individuals who are selfish and who do more fighting against each other while stubbornly invoking lore as justification for their actions, moreso than they do learning and playing the game together as a Clan.

I have watched this Clan crumble over the last two-and-a-half years that I have played this game...I have watched good units split and tear themselves apart with infighting...I have watched good players leave in disgust of what has become of their fellow Wolves...I have watched as entire drop teams passed up on valuable time to drop and practice and thus give that time up for the sake of lore, politics, formalities, literally writing reports and hour-long meetings...and I have learned that the collective skill of Wolf in general is disturbingly lacking...

There is a preference for lore and formality rather than combat, training, and cooperation. Opposing units, players, and entire play styles are dismissed rather than embraced so as to learn from the practices of certain teams and players in the name of improving one's abilities. There is an inherent level of suspicion and lack of cooperation between units of Clan Wolf, and of neighboring Clans, when all Clans now fight on the same side. There are even players and entire units who go out of their way to spark conflict with other Clans...all for the sake of a story arch that does nothing to benefit either side.

All Clans are guilty of this...but it seems Clan Wolf is the more dire of the Clans.

Players too headstrong who prefer their own way and being in charge rather than fostering a sense of community and cooperation to play and win together have become toxic to the entire Clan. Some units care more about how they appear to the rest of the world and how deep their roster is rather than how they play.

All of this results in the worst thing that can befall a Clan: units splintering, abandoning Faction Warfare, or abandoning the game entirely.

Just this evening, I visited some old friends of a lore-minded group. When asked which unit I was a part of, I enlightened my colleagues...and I was dismissed for being a mercenary in the presence of a loyalist unit.

That kind of attitude, the preference of story and lore which leads to claims of "no class" and a lack of honor over embracing game mechanics and improving one's ability, and dismissing people simply because they are of different factions, units, and even play styles...that right there...is one categorical reason of why this Clan is struggling.

The solution requires a change of heart and mind:
-drop together, as teammates, as fellow Clan members...because you're all Clan, whether you're Wolf, Falcon, Jaguar, or Bear, and harbor no resentment for your fellow Clanmember and friend
-focus more on playing the game, practicing, dropping, trying new tactics, and practicing new strategies rather than just doing the same ol' thing, or wasting time with literal paperwork and meetings
-look for ways to cooperate and play together rather than holding your neighbors with disdain and suspicion, or even going out of your way to agitate conflicts with them
-put your personal reservations about new builds, new tactics, opposing styles, and your fellow Clan player aside...and play and learn together for the sake of victory, and of Clans
-practice, practice, practice...because you won't get any better without doing so

Edited by Commander A9, 22 June 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#2 SIN Deacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

Id like to take this time and let everyone know clan SiN is recruiting and has a healthy core group that has been together for 10+ years!!!i!i!

#3 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts
  • LocationI came here to laugh at you.(^・ω・^)

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:04 AM

Lmao at the above post.

BTW since people are making some self-promotion in here i shall add to the thread:

We at SWG (and our friends at CWC) are more than willing to coordinate for drops/play together/share pug pictures and maymays regardless of one's faction affiliation (only requirement is to not be an ******).

Edited by TimberWolf87, 23 June 2017 - 03:10 AM.

#4 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:18 AM

View PostSIN Deacon, on 22 June 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

Id like to take this time and let everyone know clan SiN is recruiting and has a healthy core group that has been together for 10+ years!!!i!i!

Atleast you've moved beyond ghosting 2 year old threads for recruitment.

#5 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:55 PM

*sighs*

This right here proves my point. :/

Ya'll are too bitterly divided over furthering your own unit's agendas rather than trying to promote the Clan as a whole.

...all your enemies have to do to win is leave you alone with each other.

#6 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

It would be very unclan like to NOT fight amongst each other. You have spent too long being a merc :)

#7 SIN Deacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

View PostNaglinator, on 23 June 2017 - 04:18 AM, said:

Atleast you've moved beyond ghosting 2 year old threads for recruitment.

LOL!

#8 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

Back when touring different faction contracts meant different fronts to fight on the only faction we skipped was clan wolf. Because wolf was a joke. You guys need a hub or some way to get your units together.

#9 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

For this exact reason the Wolf Empire server has been setted up, people are more than welcome to join in for some drops.

#10 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

And the Teamspeak or Discord address of this hub is...

#11 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

Two second search would have revealed that for you. https://mwomercs.com...he-wolf-empire/

also cold day in the IS when i use discord

#12 M3T4L R0N1N

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:22 AM

Your so called hub is either always empty or just a few angry pilots talking crap about other clans. Naglinator the manner in which you've responded is just more self promotion like the others initially posted. A9 and the others are right this clan is totally run into the ground for the last while Clan wolf has become a joke to the rest of this community. As if the infighting in the lore is an excuse to be a toxic player in the community. That is exactly the kind of behavior the OP was about. All you've people done is prove A9 right on the money here. It'd be much easier to admit we got problems and address them then constantly trying to one up anything anyone says ever... Think about it if you're not responding to this post with anything constructive to add then you are merely here to be destructive.

#13 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:14 AM

Lol self promotion? Pretty sure i refer all new pilots to CWI or TAU. Never my unit. Also, real rich coming from the guy who abandoned his unit ans didn't even bother to warn his members. Hopefully you warn your new unit of your shady ways.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:04 AM

I am pretty sure all the factions have hard core loyalests, who are more interested in roleplaying as their favorate faction than winning in a way which is contry to the spirit of the faction.

I am with a merc unit who have played all factions and I am not a great player. While I can certainly understand the frustration when someones goals are running counter to your goals unfortunately this will probably always be the case. (I am kind of suprised I have never faced a unit declaring a batchall in text chat at the start of a drop and demanding to know who they are up against so they can bid on who fights who in 1v1 fights I think I would quite enjoy that)

I am guessing Davion and Wolf have the largest portion of players more focused on lore, followed by Steiner and Jade Falcon as they were more often portrayed as the "hero" in Battletech lore, although all factions did have good charactors who could attract people to their faction Davion, Wolf, Steiner and Jade Falcon in that order seemed to be the most common protagonists in our current timeframe.

#15 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:17 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 27 June 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

I am pretty sure all the factions have hard core loyalests, who are more interested in roleplaying as their favorate faction than winning in a way which is contry to the spirit of the faction.

I am with a merc unit who have played all factions and I am not a great player. While I can certainly understand the frustration when someones goals are running counter to your goals unfortunately this will probably always be the case. (I am kind of suprised I have never faced a unit declaring a batchall in text chat at the start of a drop and demanding to know who they are up against so they can bid on who fights who in 1v1 fights I think I would quite enjoy that)

I am guessing Davion and Wolf have the largest portion of players more focused on lore, followed by Steiner and Jade Falcon as they were more often portrayed as the "hero" in Battletech lore, although all factions did have good charactors who could attract people to their faction Davion, Wolf, Steiner and Jade Falcon in that order seemed to be the most common protagonists in our current timeframe.

Batcalls used to be more common. We did them often enough and had trials of position in match. Private servers have removed them from general gameplay.

#16 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:35 AM

I need only point to the whole Alpha Galaxy schism and the resulting friction between Alpha and Delta that ensued following. While friction within a large unit is unavoidable, see to Clan Ghost Bear as one which managed to (mostly) regulate itself. Not ideally, but ideals fall apart in the face of reality.

More than anything else, I've witnessed a general lack of mutual respect. Respect doesn't mean agreeing with everything you all say. It means being able to disagree amicably, and, when conflict is found that is insurmountable, attempting to find a smooth resolution to the best of all parties. Instead, what I saw was a whole dropship load of spite and shots fired across the bow by people who should have been allies.

That said, at this stage in the game, I think the more concerning aspect for Clan Wolf is that they have become the least reliable Clan to be paired up with when it comes to the average skill level of any given player with a Clan tag attached to them. Basically, like the Steiner tag for the IS. Long fall from a tag that used to be associated with the Golden Keshik and some comp level units. This isn't entirely the veteran player's fault, however. Something about that wolf logo seems to attract potatoes, and I do not know why.

#17 Sleepyboy14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationChicago, Terra

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:39 AM

I see your point and I do understand where you're coming from, even in the Inner Sphere factions most players are divided and some ain't. In fact I just prefer to play the game and work with players who can cooperate instead of screwing up.

#18 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:55 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 June 2017 - 05:35 AM, said:

I need only point to the whole Alpha Galaxy schism and the resulting friction between Alpha and Delta that ensued following. While friction within a large unit is unavoidable, see to Clan Ghost Bear as one which managed to (mostly) regulate itself. Not ideally, but ideals fall apart in the face of reality.

More than anything else, I've witnessed a general lack of mutual respect. Respect doesn't mean agreeing with everything you all say. It means being able to disagree amicably, and, when conflict is found that is insurmountable, attempting to find a smooth resolution to the best of all parties. Instead, what I saw was a whole dropship load of spite and shots fired across the bow by people who should have been allies.

That said, at this stage in the game, I think the more concerning aspect for Clan Wolf is that they have become the least reliable Clan to be paired up with when it comes to the average skill level of any given player with a Clan tag attached to them. Basically, like the Steiner tag for the IS. Long fall from a tag that used to be associated with the Golden Keshik and some comp level units. This isn't entirely the veteran player's fault, however. Something about that wolf logo seems to attract potatoes, and I do not know why.

Honestly with the whole Bucket system, it hardly matters anymore. As long as the clans as a whole work together then we're fine. Plus in the end, it ia really the mercs who decide the end outcome.

#19 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:58 AM

^Pretty much what the pugsbutt said.

#20 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 June 2017 - 05:35 AM, said:

I think this lack of reliablity has more to do with attracting more lore-focused players than anything. Not that you can't be good and lore-focused....just that newer players that like lore seem more attracted to Clan Wolf...and obviously having more newer players in drops effects performance on the battlefield overall. However, to CW's credit their units seem welcoming to newer players....and we do need newer players to find a home in this game.

CW is not alone in this as all Clans have lore-based units, of various quality. In the end people have to play this how they want....some focus on lore-based roleplaying vs. focusing on the best battlefield performance...it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, but this often seems to be the case more often than not. In fact these days their don't seem to be that many semi-active loyalist units left on the Clan side that aren't lore-focused...,so many have gone Merc. Which is why (in general) the w/l ratio of Clan loyalists is (overall) so much worse than Mercs playing the Clan side.

My unit has gone with the more pragmatic battlefield performance approach vs. lore-focus...we want to get more drops, win, take planets etc....we are willing to partner with merc's, other clans or whoever can help us achieve our goals. Many "dirty-Merc" units like us, because we are reliable to drop with when they are Clan-side and we are always there. However, that is us...I respect the freedom of other Clans and other units to do as they wish. We would be more successful in our March on terra if we would work together and improve battlefield performance, but others must play this game the way that seems best to them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users