Buffed Firestarter Vs Wolfhound... Thoughts?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

I like to pick up mechs when they are on sale (duh) and I have heard good things about the wolfhound, but the firestarter just got some really nice buffs. What are people's thoughts on the buffed firestarter vs the wolfhound. Is the Firestarter now just generally better than the wolfhound? Yeah yeah, don't chase quirks, well I do.

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

Firestarter is better after the armor buff but still is a large mech. I would go with the wolfhound.

#3 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 23 June 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Firestarter is better after the armor buff but still is a large mech. I would go with the wolfhound.

All of the mech size charts are way out of date, but they are very similar mechs. The FS is shorter and stouter, the wolfhound is taller and thinner.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

Wolfhound spreads damage better with slightly better hard-point placement and better torso pitch.

Firestarter still too sluggish in the torso department with full skills to duel properly, but its alright for poking. The +25% MG RoF on the Ember is pretty fun, almost like a BJ-A that can run at 150.

I dunno. Tough call to make outright.

#5 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

Get both.

#6 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:26 PM

FS9-S vs WLF-2. Wolfhound is more agile, has better hardpoints and armor quirks vs structure. Torso pitch and yaw angles are also superior. Both come with -10% heat so that's a tie. Hitboxes are a matter of preference, I'd give a slight nod to the Wolfhound.

Edited by Wattila, 23 June 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#7 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

I enjoy them both, but I perform better in my Wolfhounds. Then again, 4/5 of my Wolfhounds carry at least 1 Large class laser or a PPC, whereas all my Firestarters run with just Smalls and Mediums.

#8 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostMortalcoil, on 23 June 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

All of the mech size charts are way out of date, but they are very similar mechs. The FS is shorter and stouter, the wolfhound is taller and thinner.

When I say large I didn't mean they are out of scale more they are lot larger than the OP firestarter days.. Taller and thinner mechs in this game take damage a lot better than fatties. I found d wolfhound take leg damage better and can roll ct damage.

Both still drop to pinpoint when it lands.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 23 June 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#9 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

I brought both. The wolfhound 1b with dual ams and the firestarter a? I wanted 8 spl. This event is good for c-bills :)

#10 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostPromessa, on 23 June 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

The fire starter is okay now. It used to be that the wolfhound was always the better option. The firestarter isn't completely infuriating to use anymore because it isn't the squishiest thing in the world now. Basically, if you dig wolfounds and want jumpjets at the cost of mobility and torso pitch it's cool. I don't mind having structure instead of armor, skill tree boosts it up more plus you can override and not die

The skill tree favors armor at 35 tons, wouldn't bother with mild structure quirks. But yeah, that's the nicest thing you can say about the Firestarter in comparison - it jumps (and it can be a big deal on some maps).

#11 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

View PostBrunoSSace, on 23 June 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

I brought both. The wolfhound 1b with dual ams and the firestarter a? I wanted 8 spl. This event is good for c-bills Posted Image

What if I told you that 6x Small Lasers with 2x Medium Pulse gets you 30 damage at the same range as the cSPL? And weighs only 7 tons instead of 8?

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:47 PM

View PostMortalcoil, on 23 June 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

Taller and thinner > shorter and fatter. Usually.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users