4 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

I know that you want balance, but the Clan Large Laser now seems to fire way to slow, and is at a disadvantage. Even for a pair you have to cram in the heat sinks and hope for the best, knowing that you are now out gunned. By the time you get of a second shot, more than likely your Mech has been scrap yarded.

#2 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

So you are saying that in a majority of games I will not be able to fire a 2nd shot before I am cored out? I think you might be doing it wrong. You know it has a really looooong range right?

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:16 AM

the Clan ER Large laser (they do not have a standard Large Laser) is realy long range, if you want the equivelent of the regular IS large laser look at the ER Medium, that is far closer in stats to the IS Large laser despite being only 1/4 the range weight and 90% optomum range.

the Clan ERLL is best used at 500-800m put it in high mounts and concentrate on shooting Mechs that other closer range Mechs are shooting, or poke so the laser hardpoints are barely out of cover and most of your Mech is still in cover, take it in arm or cockpit (or higher) level hardpoints, so you do not have to expose much of your Mech if firing at range.
the cERLL does about the same damage in 1.10 seconds burn time as the IS LL and ERLL do, you have to hold it on target 0.25 seconds longer if you want the extra 2 damage, also bear in mind it is lighter, takes up half as many slots and has longer range than IS ERLL, so 25% more burn time and 25% higher heat are the price for 25% less weight and 22% more damage.

If you mean the cLPL then you are mistaken about it taking too long to discharge

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 28 June 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#4 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 28 June 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

the Clan ER Large laser (they do not have a standard Large Laser) is realy long range, if you want the equivelent of the regular IS large laser look at the ER Medium, that is far closer in stats to the IS Large laser despite being only 1/4 the range.

the Clan ERLL is best used at 500-800m put it in high mounts and concentrate on shooting Mechs that other closer range Mechs are shooting, or poke so the laser hardpoints are barely out of cover and most of your Mech is still in cover, take it in arm or cockpit (or higher) level hardpoints, so you do not have to expose much of your Mech if firing at range.
the cERLL does about the same damage in 1.10 seconds burn time as the IS LL and ERLL do, you have to hold it on target 0.25 seconds longer if you want the extra 2 damage, also bear in mind it is lighter, takes up half as many slots and has longer range than IS ERLL, so 25% more burn time and 25% higher heat are the price for 25% less weight and 22% more damage.

If you mean the cLPL then you are mistaken about it taking too long to discharge

Mostly all valid points. Other factors to consider is that with Skilltree the IS has access to -15% duration and Clan has access to -10% duration for lasers. That drops you down to 0.935 seconds (from 1.1s) for an IS ER large laser to apply the 9 damage, and the Clan ER large laser drops to 1.215 seconds (down from 1.35s) to apply it's 11 damage. More realistically you'll get close to about that 1/2 -3/4 second mark if you're lucky, unless playing against a hardcore pugtato. The range advantage between the two ER series is almost negligible, considering if you are running an ER on an IS mech it is generally quirked for it. Generally. Counter argument is that on a Clan mech you can utilize TCs to boost that range (TC1-4%,TC2-5%, TC3 - 6% etc) but after the ST dropped, I prefer to utilize as many DHS as I can stuff, as Clan runs quite hot (all mechs run hotter after patch), more so than before.
One other not oft thought, but important factor is cooldown. IS ER Large cooldown is 3.4 seconds and Clan is 3.75 now, .35 seconds longer than it's contemporary.

#5 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:28 PM

right now i have to say the IS ERLL is way better (and actually a very competitive weapon with the lowered burn time on some maps) compared to the cERLL, but there are still ways to use the clan one well. You should never be engaging closer then 800m under ideal conditions, at this range nothing but ERLLs and lucky erppc/gauss hits stand a chance of really hurting you, and the low rate of fire and long burn times are less of a drawback. If you want to engage at 600m the LPL will do you better as it has way better burn time and comes with better DPS/heat efficiency, and if you want to fight at 400-500m grab the ERMLs which are vastly superior to either of those 2 and can be used en-mass due to their light weight and low slot requirements allowing lots of heatsinks.

Anyways, while i have many complaints about this latest patch (cSPLs are worthless, IS MLs are prolly a bit too good now, not sure i like the 1 less dmg on LPLs), i think ERLLs are in a perfect spot. They fire slowly with bad DPS, but they have great range and their burn times are nolonger atrocious to the point its a waste of time to even consider bringing them (pretty much outside of boreal valult or certain FW strats there was absolutely no reason to touch ERLLs like at all). I also think the nerfs to LPLs have made it an actual valid choice to go either or, LPLs are still vastly superior at shorter ranges and fire faster with less burn time, but ERLLs are lighter and have great range...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users