Fedcom Civil War City Map Concept

3 replies to this topic

#1 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

I have created a block-concept of a city map. And paint-over concept art for a part of it.

I used a yellow MAD-3R called banana to indicate the scale. But then I made Steiner and Davion Marauders to take us on a long tour of the block map instead. Using 3DS Max. Rigged using CAT using an automated walk cycle and rendered in "Quick"silver hardware renderer. Its been emotional.

Music borrowed from 'Dark Reign' (It's close to MW2 music but not MW2 again) and 'Emperor Battle For Dune - Harkonnen - Victory is Inevitable' to fill for Steiners half of the tour.

The city and its lore is my own creation, the battle would take place during the Battletech novel 'End Game' after the battle at Salat City (which was a minor flavour story in the novel used to represent many similar battles in other unnamed cities).

6 minute (sorry) animated tour:

Paintover:
Posted Image

Compilation of renders.
Spoiler

Map view with grid, bounds and game mode positions.
Spoiler

Aerial view with landmark labels:
Spoiler

Lore:

Saratov, Tikonov
Capellan March
Federated Suns
30 June 3065

A city situated on the travel corridor between the city of Salat and Arano Bay. Saratov is a commercial and industrial hub connecting a large arid farming and mining region to Tikonov's larger cities via rail, road and sea. Saratov exists due to mining and ore refining, much of its residences are workers apartments and hotels all serviced by low quality restaurants, street vendors, bars, brothels and entertainment arcades. Half the city are long term permanent residents that live in run down grey concrete apartment complexes.

After routing the Federated Suns in Salat Katrina Steiners forces continued on-wards toward their goal of retaking the mech production facilities in Arano Bay. The forces left behind by Prince Victor Steiner-Davion could only delay their advance. One small old and dilapidated coastal city in their path named Saratov provided ideal cover to hide ground forces and delay their advance. The resulting intense city fight lasted for days, every street hard fought by infantry, tanks and battlemechs on both sides but like so many other minor battles in the FedCom Civil War it was soon forgotten and ultimately in vain when Tikonov fell easily to the Capellan Confederation a few years later.

More Lore
Spoiler

Design rationale:
Spoiler

Art rationale:
Spoiler

Edited by jjm1, 27 June 2017 - 06:10 AM.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

Absolutely incredible. If anything, it might have too many side paths, but I rather more than not enough. It looks claustrophobic, with room for long range combat. Overpasses of various heights add a lot of verticality, as do the buildings. Geometry is simplistic but recognizable - something PGI ought to take note of. Overly complex structure designs can make it hard to identify what something is, but your minimal design approach to them works perfectly.

#3 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:55 AM

I hope this gets noticed by PGI and at least inspires a new map.

#4 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Great work!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users