7 replies to this topic

#1 Dremnon

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

There are multiple threads going on in the forums right now regarding Match Maker balance and if it is working or not. This seems to be confusing to me, as the data showing the outcome of all the matches and the players in them is all information that should be easily grabbed and presented by PGI to eliminate all the speculation if Match Maker is working or not.

Is there anyway that maybe at the end of the month a summary of the Match Maker system could be presented to the player base on the forums showing how things are working? Example would be how many matches over the given month are 12-0, 12-1, and so on, how Tier pilots are matched up each match, etc. Maybe even a quick summary in the patch notes?

I think something like this would go a long way to show the player community how well the system is working, or give an indicator if changes need to be made to the current system. Thank you.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

a 12-0 stomp is not nessicaraly a match maker issue, in private matches between the same 2 teams I have experianced a no kills draw 1 match, a total steamroll the next, a few with half a team suviving and some very close fights going down to the last Mech on each team.

there are a lot of factors that matchmaker cannot account for, including map, coordination, stratagy, Mechs taken, Mech loadouts

I would certainly not object to seeing those figures, I am just pointing out that the figures do not tell the whole story (a t1 player playing in a new Mech, or a fun build is likely to be significantly less effective than in his/her most effective Mech)

#3 Dremnon

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

I should have been clearer in the original post. The stats should be for joining in solo que, not group que or Faction Play. The overall intent is to show that the the current MM system should be grouping teams such that the teams are even, therefore you would expect to see that the majority of games should be in the 12-6 to 12-11 range and not so much in the 12-0 to 12-5 range.

#4 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

Depends on the time of day
The more players online the better match maker works
Off peak times can be particularly brutal

#5 Dremnon

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Yes I agree, there are a tremendous amount of variables in solo que that can effect the outcome of matches, disconnects, different Tier players on each team, and so on. These will happen from match to match, but they don't happen every match. The point I'm trying to get across is that regardless of all the factors, the purpose of the MM system is supposed to try and level out the players such that a match is inherently even from the start, and that the 24 players in the matched are divided evenly on each team.

As an example, say there is a match that is 12-0 stomp; did that stomp happen because MM actually matched up the players based on the proper criteria that MM is supposed to use to make it even and things in the matched just evolved that way; or did MM unevenly distribute the team from the start? How many out of 1000 matches are 12-0, how many are 12-11? Outside of all the current programming that matches up the players in solo que, the end result should show that the majority of matches should trend towards 12-11 showing that MM is indeed matching solo que players as opposed to 12-0 stomps.

All I (and probably a few others) would like to see is PGI to show some data once a month regarding solo que MM stats to see how things are working, as there is a tremendous amount of threads in the forums on this very subject, and the data is there to answer what I feel is a valid question.

#6 Viper0012

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

Except, if match maker WAS working properly, any player should be around 50/50 for wins and loses, not 30% wins like I get. That is solo que. Because 1 person does not make or break a wipeout lose or win, it is a team effort. I think they should change it so every pilot has a pilot rating for each of the 4 classes of mechs, i.e. 1 for light mechs, 1 for medium mechs, and so on. The other day about 2 weeks ago, I played 19 matches and had 17 losses, 15 were 12-5 or worse. That tells me match maker is not working properly.

#7 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:31 AM

View PostViper0012, on 16 June 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

Except, if match maker WAS working properly, any player should be around 50/50 for wins and loses, not 30% wins like I get. That is solo que. Because 1 person does not make or break a wipeout lose or win, it is a team effort. I think they should change it so every pilot has a pilot rating for each of the 4 classes of mechs, i.e. 1 for light mechs, 1 for medium mechs, and so on. The other day about 2 weeks ago, I played 19 matches and had 17 losses, 15 were 12-5 or worse. That tells me match maker is not working properly.

Your avg Match score over the last three seasons has been consistently good enough (>200) but your W/L ratio is consistently in the mid 80% range (my long-term average over 4800 games is fractionally lower - I share your pain). Interesting. Your score looks like you are pulling your weight.

I am not sure your "weighted" PSR proposal would help, neither do I think should you be in a rush to get in the next Tier.

When I get frustrated with QP I drop in group queue with my unit/faction. I learn a lot more there and chances are that when I push I am not left hanging in the breeze.

Edited by Grinster, 18 June 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#8 Gazbeard

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPSR Tier 6

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

When I drop with my unit ... as the newest entrant to MWO in the unit, and the only true tier 5 compared to the rest of the unit being tiers 1 - 4, I am the least effective member of my team, That is expected and accepted by myself and the unit.

When I drop in solo queue in what is supposed to be a tier 5 match, I regularly see situations where known tier-1s and 2s are on the enemy team, but none on ours. The common example being to spot Baradul, Kanajashi, etc on the enemy team (with or without other members of their unit *cough* simultaneous dropping, or even just multiple members of their unit without them *cough* simultaneous dropping), but never seeing those players or units on the team that I am in - remember this is "random" solo queue.

As soon as I see a known tier-1 or 2 player on the other team I ask in team comms if we have any tier 1 or 2 players on our team - invariably the answer is negative ... if anyone answers at all. Which brings me to another point - the majority of solo queue players presenting as having no voice comms facility, which is a major disadvantage to any team (albeit rudimentarily outside of PGI's control).

When a match turns into a 12:0 to 12:3 stomp, you know the other team all have some form of voice comms (even if it's only laptop speakers and mike switched off) and that they have a team willing to listen to a play-caller. Too many teams I solo drop into basically adopt the attitude of "(Anglo Saxon verb) the caller - I'm going to do my own thing" and inevitably we lose to a more co-ordinated team.

The only solution I can think of is to expand the Academy tutorials to make a cadet play a selection of PvE battles where they MUST follow orders given by an AI play-caller at a real game pace, and where failure to do so means they have to repeat the battle until they achieve a score of XX% of orders completed for each battle scenario before they are allowed their solo queue cadet drops in pug matches. At least then they'll have "some" idea of the importance of working as a team and how to do it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users