Thoughts On Is Stealth Armor

30 replies to this topic

#1 CYBERNAT0R

Rookie

• Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

From what I've seen the new stealth armor is a effective counter to thermal signature, when paired with ECM, it's as if your a ghost in every sense of the word.. And that's basically the problem I'd like to discuss. From what I've seen. When you activate stealth armor, you simply disappear from the map completely, to both parties.

As if in test A, you have a lance of four units, so you see four diamonds on the map. When you activate stealth armor, the stealth equipped one vanishes, appearing as a unknown target that you can't lock onto or scan. In a match I fired on a friendly griffin at long range, because my HUD simply didn't register it as a friendly. It just appeared as a unknown Mech running around the battlefield randomly. If someone who basically does their best to minimize friendly fire opens fire on a friendly and nearly kills them due to stealth issues. Players using Stealth Armor along with ECM will be team killed quite often. And it will be especially true in quick play matches.

#2 ShadeofHades

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

Do they disable comms when you activate it? My collection favors Clan so I haven't been able to test it, but I know in any format if I had an ally announce their position and mech ("Don't shoot the black Griffon in H7, I'm trying to core this blind DWF" or somesuch), I'd try to avoid hitting a friendly and would expect my fellow blues to do the same.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

Well since Red Team units have a red data around them, even with out a lock and just mouse over them. So take a second and do that, if during that second they shoot at you, return fire with everything you've got.

#4 CYBERNAT0R

Rookie

• Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 05 July 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

Well since Red Team units have a red data around them, even with out a lock and just mouse over them. So take a second and do that, if during that second they shoot at you, return fire with everything you've got.

You don't have that split second to deduct whether or not the mech in your sights is friendly, as enemies with ECM appear the exact same way at long range.

View PostShadeofHades, on 05 July 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

Do they disable comms when you activate it? My collection favors Clan so I haven't been able to test it, but I know in any format if I had an ally announce their position and mech ("Don't shoot the black Griffon in H7, I'm trying to core this blind DWF" or somesuch), I'd try to avoid hitting a friendly and would expect my fellow blues to do the same.

From what I've seen, you can still use Voip while under stealth, Only issue there is that the regular PUG pilot will probably slap Stealth on their Raven, run off without saying anything- Then they become a target for both parties by accident.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:56 AM

100% not worth its main downside of being team killed and not being able to target to know who you can shoot. If you were say 75% invisible to the eye I would understand but they can still see you.I dont think i will be using this.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 05 July 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#6 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

View PostCYBERNAT0R, on 05 July 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

You don't have that split second to deduct whether or not the mech in your sights is friendly, as enemies with ECM appear the exact same way at long range.

If you don't that's fine, but I've gotten pretty good at doing it in a split second... The other thing I said, is that if they shot at you, they are likely a Red Team mech, most IS ECM carriers are not as powerful as their non ECM carrier variants, the exclusion being the Griffin and Atlas mechs. If you can't take a couple of shots from a Locust, Commando, Raven, Cicada, Enforcer or Cataphract with out being able to engage it back you've got more to worry about than a little bit of friendly fire from head on.

#7 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

It doesn't sound like it's worth it. Too many ways for things to go horribly wrong for the stealth user vs. non stealth user. Maybe if they made it a bit more visible for friendlies sure but right now it's more like a ghillie suit for a mech that no one can identify and will be more for snipers, not frontline.

And we all know how everyone looks at snipers -cough waste of tonnage cough-

Edited by MadRover, 05 July 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#8 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

I like it. But I like a lot of dumb things.

I actually did end up taking a PPC to the face in my Locust with stealth armor, which is how I found out about this feature (bug?) and thought it was the funniest thing ever. It does give you a reason to not use stealth armor all the time, and it does give you a reason to communicate with your team. I might try some kind of HGauss troll stealth Cataphract or something at some point, though I'll likely put some kind of decal on the back to try and make it obvious not to shoot me.

#9 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

View PostTim East, on 05 July 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

I actually did end up taking a PPC to the face in my Locust with stealth armor, which is how I found out about this feature (bug?) and thought it was the funniest thing ever. It does give you a reason to not use stealth armor all the time, and it does give you a reason to communicate with your team. I might try some kind of HGauss troll stealth Cataphract or something at some point, though I'll likely put some kind of decal on the back to try and make it obvious not to shoot me.

You always liked weird builds. Pretty sure that decal is going to say red on the front for some reason and blue on the rear. Also, are you one of those guys who would take timber load it up with cSLs and cSPLs, load it up with heatsinks and still do well. :D

#10 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

I actually did wreck really hard in a micro-pulse boating Nova, lol. Almost 1000 damage. Someone in that match told me they were terrible, but I got 2 KMDDs out of it. I used to love the CSPL for that build, but since they nerfed those hard, I'm really looking forward to the sustainability of the micros since their heat is so low.

I was thinking of a giant, bright bullseye or something right across the whole backside of the 'Mech, maybe in my trademark Ianchi green or something.

/edit: Oh, nuts. I forgot about the stealth armor crit usage. I can't do that with HGauss. Well, one more reason they need to implement crit-splits or smaller HGauss and LB20.

Edited by Tim East, 05 July 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#11 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostTim East, on 05 July 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

Pretty sure you will not be able to do the HGR+Stealth armour... As Stealth armour will take two crits in each ST, giving you 10 crits free out of the required 11 for the HGR.... Now Stealth armour + isUAC/20 is a possiblity....

#12 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostTim East, on 05 July 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

I actually did wreck really hard in a micro-pulse boating Nova, lol. Almost 1000 damage. Someone in that match told me they were terrible, but I got 2 KMDDs out of it. I used to love the CSPL for that build, but since they nerfed those hard, I'm really looking forward to the sustainability of the micros since their heat is so low.

I was thinking of a giant, bright bullseye or something right across the whole backside of the 'Mech, maybe in my trademark Ianchi green or something.

/edit: Oh, nuts. I forgot about the stealth armor crit usage. I can't do that with HGauss. Well, one more reason they need to implement crit-splits or smaller HGauss and LB20.

Well that'll teach em. Also that bullseye is not a bad idea.

As far as the crit splitting go, they won't go for it. They'll probably mess it up anyway.

#13 So You Say

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

I like to think stealth armor should carry the risk of getting hit by your teammates. Otherwise people would leave it on longer than they might otherwise.

#14 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

We need a green arrow decal to work as an iff !!! lol

#15 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

View PostSo You Say, on 05 July 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

I like to think stealth armor should carry the risk of getting hit by your teammates. Otherwise people would leave it on longer than they might otherwise.

The risk isn't to the user of SA getting hit by friendlies. The risk is to the friendlies getting griefed by somebody using SA to get said friendlies to shoot at him and take penalties to both their earnings and drop timing (and profile record).

#16 Messiah Complex

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:13 PM

This issue is being addressed by making stealth armor users not disappear from friendly sensors. Though I feel like that takes some of the usefulness out of them since you wont be able to slip into enemy formations since you dont have the enemy friendly signature.

#17 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

its a waste. visuals beat targeting all the time. ive been playing against clan teams in fw were they all have ecm and you can almost never get a target. compensate with eyes on and it isnt a problem, so your wasting slots, and tonnage probably, for something that is counterable by even the potatoeiest of teir 5s.

#18 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:29 AM

I don't get the benefit. Most of the time if you're at range under ECM you shouldn't be detectable anyway. Sure, it helps when you're up close, but that's of limited use without knowing who's a friend and who's a foe.

#19 Rusharn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:53 AM

The main use I have seen for it is against LRM's, Streaks, and ATM's. The moment you see incoming missile, flip on stealth and the missiles pretty much miss. I have found it useful in my PB, verse streak dogs. To avoid being hit by my team, I flip my stealth on and off as I am maneuvering. As far as I know, I was never shot by my allies. I think it is fun, give you that kind of u-boat feel as you're moving about, knowing that even when you get close they still won't detect you.

#20 HIGH LORD KIT FAWKS THE WATCHFUL

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:29 AM

I honestly wonder if I can fandagle an SA light gauss urbie, or an SA HMG urbie..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users