A Different Take For Rac System

10 replies to this topic

Poll: RACs (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Should RACs work this way?

1. Yes (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:14 AM

General Changes:

- RACs Jam 100% when Jam Meter is filled.
- RACs do not fill Jam Meter while spinning, only while shooting.
- Always during operation, the weapon generates heat. Be it during spin-up, spin-down, or firing, it will generate heat. Like Stealth Armor.

RAC2:

Damage/shot: 0.80
Projectile Speed: 2000
Shots/Sec: 10.00
Burst DPS: 8.00
Total Damage/Burst: 40
Total Shots/Burst: 50
Spin-Up Time: 0.50s
Spin-Down Time: 0.50s
Burst Duration: 5.00s
Jam Dissipation: 4.00s
Jam Duration: 4.00s
EDPS: 4.00

RAC5:

Damage/shot: 1.25
Projectile Speed: 1650
Shots/Sec: 8.00
Burst DPS: 10.00
Total Damage/Burst: 50
Total Shots/burst: 40
Spin-Up Time: 0.50s
Spin-Down Time: 0.50s
Burst Duration: 5.00s
Jam Dissipation: 4.00s
Jam Duration: 4.00s
EDPS: 5.00

To define our new values, lets start:

EDPS = Effective DPS, the dps of the weapon once the Jam sequence is taken account.
Burst Duration = How long can the weapon shoot continuously before Jamming.
Jam Duration = How long the weapon cannot be fired.
Jam Dissipation = How long the meter is cleared at full - that means if the gauge is completely filled and at some form of magic does not jam, it would take 4.0s for the meter to be cleared.

The purpose of Jam Dissipation is to illustrate how fast the gauge is cleared. And with the Burst Duration at 5s, but the Jam Dissipation at 4.0s - WTF? The6thMessenger? Wouldn't that mean they could just not fill the jam meter completely, let it dissipate a few and then shoot again?

Well supposed that we only used up 2.5s or half of our total damage/burst, doing 20 for the RAC2 and 25 for the RAC5? It would take 2.00s for the jam meter to be cleared + 0.50s of spin-down time + 0.50s of spinup time for the next flurry. RAC2 doing only 20 damage, that is 3.636363636363636 EDPS. The RAC5, doing 25 damage, only does 4.545454545454545 EDPS.

You know what that means? To maximize EDPS you really need to use the weapon at it's fullest extent, else just stopping midway just penalizes yourself.

How about the spin-up? That short, and not filling the gauge when spinning up, wouldn't that make spin-up time useless? People could just practice preemptively spinning it up, or macroing it to do so. And what about poking?

I wouldn't worry about poking, it's only mostly effective if you can do a most of your damage, a lot of damage, at the shortest amount of time to minimize damage being received. Not only you're preemptively building up heat without doing damage as you maintain the spin-up time, you also need to stare enemies at an idiotic amount of time which is really just bad. To put that into perspective, the RAC5 needs 1.5s of stare time to do 15 damage, when a gauss rifle could do it in an instant it hits. That means that 1.5s from a gauss rifle to stare could be used for cover, either armor rolling or side shielding, or just hiding back into cover. So really, doing so wouldn't be that efficient, so i wouldn't worry about it.

Here's a different take for the RAC system.

If you're interested, here's an RAC/10.
Spoiler

Edited by The6thMessenger, 20 July 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#2 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:40 AM

No jam-bar fill while spin-up will result in macros that keep them spinning which is tha same that is to completely remove the spin-up.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 02 July 2017 - 04:40 AM, said:

No jam-bar fill while spin-up will result in macros that keep them spinning which is tha same that is to completely remove the spin-up.

Still affects DPS calculations, that's the primary concern.

#4 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

RAC look fun from what i have seen, yes people who boat gun of the same type don't like ghost heat but look like a lot more fun than a single uac5.

Spin time ? It's not an alpha strike hide and shoot weapon and will never be.

#5 NiuqOteen

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

The #1 change i think people will want is the reduction to the particle effect. The impact particle effect is approx the size of an Atlas head, the blinding effect like the old flamer is a bit much.

- RACs Jam Meter does not go down until Spin-Down is achieved.
- RACs having shot, don't need to spin-up, until Spin-Down is completed. During which they could still shoot without needing to spin-up.

Like these ideas would make it a little bit more versatile. A teammate crossing in front of Rac that just begun firing forces you to decide a few things.
Do stop firing and respin the gun losing almost a third of my jam bar?
Point it at the sky and try to put it back on target?
Just keep firing ?
Guessing at least in quick play the just keep firing option is what most will choose.

Edited by NiuqOteen, 02 July 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#6 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

View PostNiuqOteen, on 02 July 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

The #1 change i think people will want is the reduction to the particle effect. The impact particle effect is approx the size of an Atlas head, the blinding effect like the old flamer is a bit much.

- RACs Jam Meter does not go down until Spin-Down is achieved.
- RACs having shot, don't need to spin-up, until Spin-Down is completed. During which they could still shoot without needing to spin-up.

Like these ideas would make it a little bit more versatile. A teammate crossing in front of Rac that just begun firing forces you to decide a few things.
Do stop firing and respin the gun losing almost a third of my jam bar?
Point it at the sky and try to put it back on target?
Just keep firing ?
Guessing at least in quick play the just keep firing option is what most will choose.

I kept the spin time at 0.25 for both spin-up and spin-down because their point is only to affect the overall DPS based on calculations. Otherwise it shouldn't be as big of a deal in shot transitions.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

Hmm. If you people really don't like the idea of abusable spin-up system. What if at any point in the operation, be it while shooting, spinning up or spinning down, the weapon generates heat?

#8 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:26 AM

This is how the idea supposed to go. Notice how the build-up on the Death Machine is slow, but dissipation is fast. Yet he couldn't shoot while the bar is full.

That's the essence of this idea.

#9 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationEndor, exterminating little evil bear people for the Empire.

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:51 AM

I'm of the firm belief that if they only move to any kind of reliable system without RNG jamming the weapon will be immensely more useful, then what the other properties and mechanics are can be almost anything.

However I do not see the point that it should so closely mimic UAC's damage output durations because it will lose that race simply due to alpha strikes and near instant bursts that also allow defensive tactics of torso twisting and taking cover while still putting out decent damage.

I would prefer it to be a somewhat longer duration weapon that also can be "heat" managed for further longevity as in the example displayed in the OP, that way it, UAC's and AC's do not overlap and RAC's would feel natural to take for pushing assault tactics.

Edited by SOL Ranger, 06 July 2017 - 05:51 AM.

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

The RACs sucked.

How could anyone saw that coming? *sarcasm.

No really though, the RAC still sucked on implementation, this needs to happen.

#11 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:15 AM

RAC needs some overhaul, I'm in favour of your changes (but spiining up should fill the bar), because it forces the player to handle the jam bar. This is not the case right now and in my opinion a big issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users