Racs Are Dissappointing

62 replies to this topic

#1 MisterSomaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:56 AM

I wasn't expecting them to decimate targets in seconds, but I find them next to useless. They are simply not worth it. With how much face time is required to even do a small amount of damage, combined with the low ghost heat threshold, projectile speed, they are simply not worth taking. I feel they need a damage buff at the very least to be viable in any form. Not much, but just enough to be worth even taking on your mech. I could handle all the other faults in the weapon system if the damage made it worth it, but it's simply not the case here.
Anyone agree?

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:14 AM

That they are MrSomaru. That they are.

#3 Tyroki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

Or just get rid of ghost heat outright.
It has no place on the RACs.

Right now, it just seems better to bring UACs outright.

#4 P10k56

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:26 AM

As single weapon not so good.
As multiple also cos ghost heat.
Typical for IS techPosted Image

#5 Messiah Complex

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

Im cool having Ghost on more than 2 what ever, but atleast buff the velocity or the damage. Right now you do little damage and have to SUPER lead the target. If velocity was buffed damage would be fine cause you could maintain your fire till you jam, over heat or have to find cover. If damage was buffed instead you make a weapon where standing still is dangerous to the enemy but atleast they can try to get out of the way of it till you over heat, jam or have to take cover. Either one of these buffs would make the weapon perfect for forcing enemies to atleast move to a different position.

#6 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

I didn't like them either. The spinup just feels off. I was trying to pulse to keep the RPMs up without actually firing and my heat spiked anyway. So there's no real way to keep the weapon prepped before you turn a corner. The facetime is bad, the damage is low, and the burst potential just isn't there. I'd much rather just take an UAC10.

#7 P10k56

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

I will decrease spin up time 2x increase spread slightly.
Damage 2x and also 2x speed of filling jam meter and its unfiling + 2xheat.
Everything to reduce face time but also to complicate section sniping from long range.

#8 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationEndor, exterminating little evil bear people for the Empire.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

I don't see the damage being an issue at all but rather the limited time you are allowed to use them and the dysfunctional nature of the mechanics it has as a whole beyond simply being a sustained damage weapon with CoF, it is especially problematic in terms of the RNG element in jamming making it extremely unreliable.

In essence it suffers from nearly all the downsides possible to have in the game let alone the meta game with little to show for it.

It must be made significantly more reliable.

#9 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

They did buff both damage and range. They didn't buff it enough though and judging by the way they did buffed both it's damage and range, they are very very hesitant to do any more. My personal prediction is that they'll just be a wonder and everyone will move on. A real shame to be honest.

#10 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostTyroki, on 05 July 2017 - 06:15 AM, said:

Or just get rid of ghost heat outright.
It has no place on the RACs.

Right now, it just seems better to bring UACs outright.

Please remove he ghost heat. I want 4 RACs on my PaytoWidow

#11 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

Buffed fire rate and fire slower when spin up in speed would be awesome.

I would be obscene to say dual fire rate and explode doing damage of the gun category when reaching full bar !

Edited by Damnedtroll, 05 July 2017 - 11:36 AM.

#12 So You Say

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

I found them to be useless as well. The 9 damage per second claim on the RAC5's is questionable. If they are doing that level of damage it sure is hard to tell.

#13 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

Currently RACs are something you take for the visuals but that UACs out perform in all ways for less spaces.

#14 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

The spin up time needs to be much, much shorter or, even better fire the weapon immediately and build up speed as it spins up. The fire window needs to be a bit longer and each shell needs to do a bit more damage. With the way the damage is spread naturally and then factoring Mech movement and torso twisting, I think the damage should be in the 12-13 damage per second range for each RAC5 to even give it a shot at being viable. It should work as a suppression weapon but the short burst time before jamming prevents that. However, it is done there needs to be more firing time and more damage output.

I really want to love the RACs and put one on my new Uziel but even though they have improved from the first iteration we saw, they still have a ways to go before equipping them will not be an indication of suicidal tendencies.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

the time it takes the rac5 to spin up is long enough to die to multiple alphas in fp. i dont like it slotting itself into a suppression/support role. and even then i think id be happier with the ac2.

#16 Tyroki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

View PostP10k56, on 05 July 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

As single weapon not so good.
As multiple also cos ghost heat.
Typical for IS techPosted Image

Neither AC2's, AC5s or UAC5's have ghost heat.
If RACs release as they are, it's just better to bring either the old AC's or the new UACs.

View PostSnowbluff, on 05 July 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

Please remove he ghost heat. I want 4 RACs on my PaytoWidow

Or a Jagermech (for RAC2s). Or one of the many other IS mechs that could wield 4+ of them (2 or 5's), with or without other weapons systems.

Edited by Tyroki, 05 July 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#17 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

The problem is, in order for them to not be disappointing, they would be too strong at mowing down bad players that do a lot of staring/facetanking.

#18 l33tworks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostMessiah Complex, on 05 July 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

Im cool having Ghost on more than 2 what ever, but atleast buff the velocity or the damage. Right now you do little damage and have to SUPER lead the target. If velocity was buffed damage would be fine cause you could maintain your fire till you jam, over heat or have to find cover. If damage was buffed instead you make a weapon where standing still is dangerous to the enemy but atleast they can try to get out of the way of it till you over heat, jam or have to take cover. Either one of these buffs would make the weapon perfect for forcing enemies to atleast move to a different position.

You would STILL have to super lead the target even if RACs velocity was faster than lasers.
The issue you are having is because the RAC rounds fire server side not client side like other weapons.

SEE this thread.

https://mwomercs.com...25#entry5810825[color=#959595]

Currently RACs work like this

0 to 50ms ping - RACs are not great but very fun and CAN be effective in the right hands!
50 to 100, Still fun and ok but getting a little less effective
100 to 150ms -Getting sloppy for moving targets
150ms to 200. Seriously only shoot at Heavy+ mechs moving slowly
200 to 250. Only shoot at Assault mechs Standing still.
250-300ms Only shoot at Shutdown assault mechs
300ms ROFL Only shoot at DireStars that have shut down for 2 minutes

[/color]

#19 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:14 AM

UACs are far superior to RACs... RACs are the equivalent of a feather tickler right now. They just piss off the other guy unless you boat, like, 6 of them. Very disappointed in how long it takes to do any damage. I was all excited to keep trying them but I don't think I managed to kill any mech with one. I went back to my dual UAC5 builds and everything performed much better.

The animation and sound is good but the spread and/or damage rate keeps it from being a viable option. Total letdown.

Edited by Gaussfather, 06 July 2017 - 05:15 AM.

#20 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:25 AM

View PostGaussfather, on 06 July 2017 - 05:14 AM, said:

UACs are far superior to RACs... RACs are the equivalent of a feather tickler right now. They just piss off the other guy unless you boat, like, 6 of them. Very disappointed in how long it takes to do any damage. I was all excited to keep trying them but I don't think I managed to kill any mech with one. I went back to my dual UAC5 builds and everything performed much better.

The animation and sound is good but the spread and/or damage rate keeps it from being a viable option. Total letdown.

Just want to make sure... you are comparing the same number of UACs to RACs, right?
a single weapon (any) does feel like wet noodles compared to vomit alpha builds.
if you have a single UAC2/5 you will not feel very satisfied, but a single RAC2/5 should already net you more burst damage, especially if you hide on the time you reach the jam-bar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users