Playing A Mech With Zero Skill Points...

36 replies to this topic

#1 King Harkinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:07 AM

...is a total waste of time/exercise in frustration when matchmaker forces you to carry potatoes every single match.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

Of course MM expects you to carry since you are T1. Even with zero skilled mechs it is not that hard to do well, though. Unless the mech itself is garbage.

#3 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

******* what?

OP is a cheese.

Plus, where do you expect people to level their mechs up genius? In the training grounds? FFS.

#4 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 July 2017 - 12:32 AM, said:

Unless the mech itself is garbage.

Or, like me, you happen to be a player who's NOT compatible with so-called 'Meta Mechs'... Why? Simply because your natural playing style and mental processes do NOT work in a manner that you can learn/use 'Meta-Style GamePlay'. Sadly, too many people think that everyone should play the game their way, and are incapable of working with other styles of play. This therefore makes them horribly inflexible in a manner that causes them to be toxic to a game's community. In turn, there's a breakdown in TeamWork and Communication, teams are then steamrolled by other teams, and the players getting steamrolled all end up going nuts at each other, NOT understanding that they needed to learn to work together instead of assuming that everyone can do a 'One Man Army' thing like "Halo"/"Counter-Strike"/"Call Of Duty". Too many have come in from other games thinking that they can be some 'God-like Wildfire', and they hurt everyone because they can't understand that MechWarrior is a "Thinking Man's Tactical Combat" with TeamWork-requiring game mechanics such as Strategy and Situational Recognition. -_-

Frankly, I think PGI should REQUIRE A FUNCTIONING MICROPHONE AND ACTIVE WILLINGNESS TO COMMUNICATE before allowing people to wade into the fight. It sure would fix a lot of problems real fast. <_<

~Mr. D. V. "Sick of being murdered due to the MatchMaker placing them with bad teams..." Devnull

#5 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:11 AM

Wait so people are expecting the matchmaker to make people stop taking stupid builds into QP? Or are people expecting the MM to identify when someone is messing about, taking a crap build, levelling a mech or just casually playing in the differing stages of their personal feelings etc.

Complaints without suggestions or insight are completely useless here, honestly, yes, QP is a madhouse, it has been the whole time, if you want to play organised games, you organise a group. Whining about the QP craziness is just noise that does nothing for nobody.

#6 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:12 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 11 July 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

******* what?

OP is a cheese.

Plus, where do you expect people to level their mechs up genius? In the training grounds? FFS.

You can spend a few points using the general xp you gathered while levelling/ playing other mechs.
If I remember correctly, it's 10% of the xp you gather, so levelling one mech from 0-91 only will give you enough gxp to start with 10-11 nodes on the next one. More if you play levelled mechs in the meantime.
This is what gxp is for. Use it.

*that's if you don't have a surplus of general skill points or whatstheirname. With all the free xp and sp I have now, I probably would never need to grind a mech until my or MWO's death, whatever will come first.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 11 July 2017 - 01:17 AM.

#7 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:16 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 11 July 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

You can spend a few points using the general xp you gathered while levelling/ playing other mechs.
If I remember correctly, it's 10% of the xp you gather, so levelling one mech from 0-91 only will give you enough gxp to start with 10-11 nodes on the next one. More if you play levelled mechs in the meantime.
This is what gxp is for. Use it.

You think I was talking about myself? I have levelled my mechs, but interestingly, I do consider there may be OTHER PLAYERS in this game/world, who may be new..... But yeah, thanks for the advice man.

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:39 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 11 July 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

<<<snip>>>... If I remember correctly, it's 10% of the xp you gather, ... <<<snip>>>

Nope, only 5%... You might use it to help get a Mech's skilling started, but it can't carry you. :(

~D. V. "Sorry for bursting the bubble on that one..." Devnull

#9 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

Is it any worse then piloting an unskilled/unmoduled 'mech before?

After the skill tree, at least for me it's easier, because I seem to have enough General SP to master 'mechs till the Sun goes nova. So I'll never again be playing another unmastered 'mech.

In the old system this wasn't possible because of the 3-variant rule and you were unlikely to have enough GXP to level up all of them.

#10 digital O-Q

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:49 AM

Posted Image

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:47 AM

i figure i have enough hsp to instantly master the next 50 mechs (well 49, i bought an assassin since then). i tried to master the hard way gave up after 3 points.

Edited by LordNothing, 11 July 2017 - 02:48 AM.

#12 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:39 AM

OP I do it all the time

when your a potato it does not matter

#13 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:58 AM

Playing with handicap forces you to get better or try different builds.

I see no problem. No skill or mech can save you from full potato-mode.
Posted Image

#14 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:48 AM

View PostKing Harkinian, on 11 July 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

...is a total waste of time/exercise in frustration when matchmaker forces you to carry potatoes every single match.

Your response should have been:

"...Is not an Issue".

I have been playing so many unskilled mechs since the Skill Tree went live, partially to save C-bills for the new tech and partially to hold my points for the new tech, that it isn't funny and I am not having an issue holding my own or performing. In fact I even managed to break into Tier 1 from 2 while using these unskilled mechs.

I am not saying that you don't see an improvement with a mastered mech or that my performance wouldn't be higher in a mastered mech because it does make a difference but it is not a requirement and only a minor frustration a best. I mean sure I cuss a bit to myself when I Overheat a unskilled mech because I know the second I decide to invest in skills, I can make this issue go away or at least reduce it, but its really not that big of deal.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 11 July 2017 - 04:49 AM.

#15 Obadiah333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 638 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, Oregon

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:22 AM

I just want the matchmaker to stop stacking EMP and other top tier gods on the other team and lumping in any potato it can find onto my team.

Pretty please, make it stop.

#16 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:29 AM

I have been running completely unskilled mechs since the skilltree release...

You may think "Dude Why TF?"

Simple answer, there will be a hell lot of tinkering when the new weapons arrive next week. And I just do not want to do the double clicking work. So I will skill my mechs, but only if I have found w proper build for it. As it happens, I do not have as much problems with my unskilled mechs as I expected. In fact I take it as a some kind of "next level" practice and I'm running good so far.

by the way:

View PostD V Devnull, on 11 July 2017 - 01:06 AM, said:

Or, like me, you happen to be a player who's NOT compatible with so-called 'Meta Mechs'... Why? Simply because your natural playing style and mental processes do NOT work in a manner that you can learn/use 'Meta-Style GamePlay'. Sadly, too many people think that everyone should play the game their way, and are incapable of working with other styles of play. This therefore makes them horribly inflexible in a manner that causes them to be toxic to a game's community. In turn, there's a breakdown in TeamWork and Communication, teams are then steamrolled by other teams, and the players getting steamrolled all end up going nuts at each other, NOT understanding that they needed to learn to work together instead of assuming that everyone can do a 'One Man Army' thing like "Halo"/"Counter-Strike"/"Call Of Duty". Too many have come in from other games thinking that they can be some 'God-like Wildfire', and they hurt everyone because they can't understand that MechWarrior is a "Thinking Man's Tactical Combat" with TeamWork-requiring game mechanics such as Strategy and Situational Recognition. Posted Image

Frankly, I think PGI should REQUIRE A FUNCTIONING MICROPHONE AND ACTIVE WILLINGNESS TO COMMUNICATE before allowing people to wade into the fight. It sure would fix a lot of problems real fast. Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "Sick of being murdered due to the MatchMaker placing them with bad teams..." Devnull

may your words be praised!

Edited by Cyrilis, 11 July 2017 - 05:33 AM.

#17 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 July 2017 - 12:32 AM, said:

Of course MM expects you to carry since you are T1. Even with zero skilled mechs it is not that hard to do well, though. Unless the mech itself is garbage.

That's not true. Some builds don't even function without maximum, or at least most of, the heat gen skill nodes required to keep the guns cool. Or the range required to move your SRMs past your nose. Playing lights or fragile mediums without radar dep in yoloqueue is like being in a hurricane without a jacket. It's just a painful experience all around. I weep for the new players who were promised a better life without the rule of 3, only to be crushed by the overbearing weight of having to fill out 91 skill points.

#18 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

I like to play new mechs with the x2 XP, play them once a day to get the most out of my time.

Since I have 7 (I think) Uzis coming next week, I will play them each once a day.

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 11 July 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

That's not true. Some builds don't even function without maximum, or at least most of, the heat gen skill nodes required to keep the guns cool. Or the range required to move your SRMs past your nose. Playing lights or fragile mediums without radar dep in yoloqueue is like being in a hurricane without a jacket. It's just a painful experience all around. I weep for the new players who were promised a better life without the rule of 3, only to be crushed by the overbearing weight of having to fill out 91 skill points.

In regards to heat issue, I simply reduced the number of weapons until I got the mech elited/mastered in the old skill tree--which can be applied here. And my performance wasn't terrible due to that.

Filling out 91 skill points is far better experience IMO when you are piloting that one variant you enjoy. Now the newbies can worry less about mechbays since rule of 3 is gone.

#20 Wyald Katt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 165 posts
  • LocationHell (aka Florida)

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

All I'll say is that in general, right out of the bay, you are noticeably either slower, hotter, or less durable, and usually all of the above.

You know this, and must adjust your play approach accordingly. I cannot begin to imagine your frustration, adding the self expectation of carrying an entire team, in that situation.

At least it's not a total waste of time. You might even eek out enough XP to get that first skill node. Oh, the match score you can earn now!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users