Any Way To Get Mwo To Use More Cpu/gpu To Get More Fps?

15 replies to this topic

#1 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

My fps tends to drop and frametimes spike a bit much. Whenever I check system resource monitors I see my gpu is only being hitting 45-70% usage most of the time, and the cpu cores rarely go over 50%. Now every once in a while the gpu will actually hit 90-100% in game and when it does the game runs great, ~140fps, only a little bit of frametime spikes and they are smaller spikes. I can't find any bottlenecks or anything else that explains this though. In the rare case that the gpu does hit 90+% nothing else is really different and in all cases everything looks like it has plenty of room to go further. Ram and vram are usually around half used, temps are mid 50s, no throttling on gpu or cpu.
So any suggestions on how to get the game to use more of the systems power? Some game settings or Windows settings or graphics card settings? Any user.cfg that I can add in to help?
Does the server/lag affect fps in this game a lot? I know its not usually a big factor in other games fps but would explain a lot if it did.
Some other info:

i7 4770k @4.4ghz
RX470 4GB stock to light overclock (OC doesn't seem to matter in MWO)
16GB DDR3 2133
Asus z87-a
Newest drivers though have tried a couple of older ones
power plan set to high
Tried different settings but currently all low except object detail and enviroment very high.
Other games use more gpu and benchmarks max it out.

#2 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

Nope (you are probably already using dx11) Though you may be able to squeak out abit more with the user file. In game, reducing particle effects is very important. I use the following settings in user.cfg in addition to reducing particles.

# Don't need cockpit glass so disabled
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0

# Removes filmgrain (you don't want anyways) may not give you better performance but it will look nicer
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

# Limits and tells the system not to try and go faster than 70fps
sys_budget_fps=70
sys_MaxFPS=70

Edited by Chagatay, 11 July 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

The game engine is over 5 years old, and it's optimization isn't for the current generation of graphics cards. There might not be much you can do to fully utilize a newer gaming rig.

#4 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

Yes there is a way.

You can get MWO to use more then the hardlocked 4 cores it's using right now.
NARC BAIT already did a post describing several options, for example to get the game to play sounds even when tabbed out.

https://mwomercs.com...urrent-usercfg/

Basically you create a user.cfg data in your MWO file and copy sys_job_system_max_worker = 6* in there
*number of cores MWO shall use (set it to 0 if you just want it to use the max amount avaliable)

Edited by Bonzai VI, 11 July 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#5 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

View PostBonzai VI, on 11 July 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Yes there is a way.

NARC BAIT already did a post describing several options, for example to get the game to play sounds even when tabbed out.

Basically you create a user.cfg data in your MWO file and copy sys_job_system_max_worker = 6* in there
*number of cores MWO shall use (set it to 0 if you just want it to use the max amount avaliable)

Give it a try, I personally didn't see any change.

Results for i7 seemed mixed in that forum thread. MWO is probably single core/thread performance locked (as are many applications not just MWO). It still can help if you have lots of background processes. More cores opened to MWO allow it to assign tasks to a core that is idle or not doing much. This assuming the OS isn't being efficient in thread/core assignment.

#6 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

I'm wondering if the muti core will work with amd fx 8150. I use the max fps limit line already and it helps much on the old gtx 660. Haven't tried the film grain removal yet.

#7 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

Easy, buy an Nvidia card.

lololol jk

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

Setting max workers for me didn't change anything, apart from making my fps tank while in dropship on tourmaline (pretty sure it's the dropship's engine particles) By tank, I mean 25-30fps vs my normal 110-130 fps

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 11 July 2017 - 03:52 PM.

#9 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

I highly doubt MWO will actually use 6+ cores, even if you 'allow' it to do so. tbh I doubt it will use more than two.

the mostly likely culprits are shadows and particle effects; if you turn those settings down and are still seeing semi-random fps drops it's unlikely your processor is the issue

Edited by AssaultPig, 11 July 2017 - 03:55 PM.

#10 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

The best way to get moar FPS in this game is over clocking CPU, it is cryengine after all.

Im running my I5 7600k at 4.8 and getting pretty much the same FPS as Vx is.

#11 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 11 July 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

The best way to get moar FPS in this game is over clocking CPU, it is cryengine after all.

my 4.25ghz xeon with SLI 980s still struggles with this game at times. it is sad. I swear the game ran WAY better a year ago. I had zero issues on my i7@3.8ghz with SLI480s with max everything....

#12 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostChagatay, on 11 July 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Nope (you are probably already using dx11) Though you may be able to squeak out abit more with the user file. In game, reducing particle effects is very important. I use the following settings in user.cfg in addition to reducing particles.

(user.cfg) doesnt work as well as it used to, as many features have become options in the Menus,

this is already an option in the menu,
(Right under Start in 3rd Person)

# Removes filmgrain (you don't want anyways) may not give you better performance but it will look nicer
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

this was removed a wail i go to my knowledge,
(also when it did matter it was only worth 2-4 frames, not much at all)

sys_budget_fps=70
sys_MaxFPS=70

this can be dont with out (user.cfg) Just Enable V-Sync, and it will lock your Frames to 60,
(it locks your FPS, so your Computer and Monitor play at the same Frames, to Play more Smoothly)

As PGI works on Optimizing more Features in MWO, the(CodeLines) is mattering less & less,
at this point the (user.cfg) doesnt Benefit MWO Players much at all, much less then it used to,
many (CodeLines) with the (user.cfg) have since been removed & as such no longer Function,
use of these (CodeLines) may cause the System to Loop causing problems with Game play

its for these reasons i would have to advice against using the (user.cfg) File,
as doing such for most Systems will do more harm than good to your FPS,
Thank you,

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 11 July 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#13 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, going to try some of this stuff. Though I will also say that I remembered to set up my batch file for setting process priority to high and that seems to have helped a bit. Thats something I had before but forgot to redo when I reinstalled the game. With that I now hit 80-100% most of the time in training grounds and everything is great. Though sadly it only upped the average gpu usage in actual games by a little bit. Also seems to be effected by the map, I haven't tested enough since reinstall to say for sure but it was like this before too. On Crimson I am getting mostly 50-80% usage and framerate/frametimes was pretty good but on River City I am only getting mostly 45-65% usage and framerate was a decent bit lower and a lot more frametime spikes, except for one point where I was getting high usage and everything was good for about a minute.

r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

sys_budget_fps=70
sys_MaxFPS=70

Cockpit glass is a menu option now so not sure if that does anything now.
I'm pretty sure they removed film grain, I don't really see it now and I think that cvars default is 0 now.
I will try the sys_maxfps again but every time that I've tried limiting fps I always get really bad screen tearing. Had it on my last 2 cards with that command, 3rd party programs, and video card options. Though this is a new card so maybe it will work now, would be nice because I'm only interested in smooth gameplay not super high fps.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 11 July 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

The game engine is over 5 years old, and it's optimization isn't for the current generation of graphics cards. There might not be much you can do to fully utilize a newer gaming rig.

You know whats funny though. I actually installed the original Crysis yesterday to see how it would run on this system and it actually runs great, and its 10 years old now. Still looks great too, well the character models aren't that great but they never were, but those trees man, those trees...
Only played through the first few checkpoints but 75-100% gpu usage and it was in the 90-100% most of the time, ~100fps, everything but motion blur maxed 1920x1080.

View PostBonzai VI, on 11 July 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Yes there is a way.

I'll have to check that out, some of the stuff looks good. Though I'm not sure if that sys_job_system_max_worker would help me since none of the cores are ever getting worked, and I only have 4 physical cores, though 8 logical with hyper threading. Plus I'm not positive but I think I had that back when I was using a user.cfg and didn't notice a difference.

View PostChagatay, on 11 July 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

Give it a try, I personally didn't see any change.

Results for i7 seemed mixed in that forum thread. MWO is probably single core/thread performance locked (as are many applications not just MWO). It still can help if you have lots of background processes. More cores opened to MWO allow it to assign tasks to a core that is idle or not doing much. This assuming the OS isn't being efficient in thread/core assignment.

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking, maybe even though the cores are not being used much this would help with the latency on them and speed things up a bit, less microstutter maybe.

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 July 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

Easy, buy an Nvidia card.

lololol jk

LOL been meaning to for my last 2 cards but those AMD deals man...

Edited by dario03, 11 July 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#14 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

View PostAssaultPig, on 11 July 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

I highly doubt MWO will actually use 6+ cores, even if you 'allow' it to do so. tbh I doubt it will use more than two.

the mostly likely culprits are shadows and particle effects; if you turn those settings down and are still seeing semi-random fps drops it's unlikely your processor is the issue

They are already down.

View PostCarl Vickers, on 11 July 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Honestly I didn't notice much of a difference between 3.5 and 4.4ghz in this game. Maybe if I had more settings turned up but as is, the cpu never seems to get pushed.

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 11 July 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

this can be dont with out (user.cfg) Just Enable V-Sync, and it will lock your Frames to 60,
(it locks your FPS, so your Computer and Monitor play at the same Frames, to Play more Smoothly)

As PGI works on Optimizing more Features in MWO, the(CodeLines) is mattering less & less,
at this point the (user.cfg) doesnt Benefit MWO Players much at all, much less then it used to,
many (CodeLines) with the (user.cfg) have since been removed & as such no longer Function,
use of these (CodeLines) may cause the System to Loop causing problems with Game play

its for these reasons i would have to advice against using the (user.cfg) File,
as doing such for most Systems will do more harm than good to your FPS,
Thank you,

Could try that too. but isn't the downside of vsync added latency?

#15 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

I'm testing this (it was recently on sale). Seeing a decrease in fps drops, but not higher fps overall.
It definitely has reduced my drops tho, which helps.

http://store.steampo...imize_Your_FPS/

#16 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

You can try lowering certain settings, used to be a topic here that listed 4 Advanced Video settings that can be lowered to increase FPS but it is lost in the Forum soup.

I have this bookmarked, closest to what we had.

Object Detail, Particles, Shadows and Texturing seems to be the 4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users