I Don't Mind Linking Gauss Ppc...do What You Must....but

85 replies to this topic

#81 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechlab, adding more Double Heatsinks.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

why not jsut have it stop cooling until it is recharged due to energy consumption? wont stop you from firing BUT you dont want to alpha with it over your heat limit.

#82 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostKhobai, on 15 July 2017 - 04:49 AM, said:

Actually it was. And PGI is on record as saying thats the exact reason they added gauss chargeup. To help desync it from PPCs. I can go back and find the exact patch notes if you want, but its very clear that was the sole reason for adding chargeup.

View Postdingus, on 15 July 2017 - 05:23 AM, said:

LOL ... suuuure.

Gauss + PPC was one of the reasons for adding gauss charge, another being that a lot of people didn't like how it was just an AC15 with way lower heat, way longer range, and higher projectile velocity, so almost nobody bothered using the AC20 or even the AC10 really.

Perhaps at the time that was their only reason for doing gauss charge, which would mean it was ever the sole reason, but I was particularly active both in the game and in the forums when that and other changes were being made, and I don't remember that being their only reason for the gauss charge at any point.

It's obvious that their position has at least (for good reason) evolved (if it ever changed) anyways, since otherwise the gauss charge would have gone away after addressing gauss + PPC, but it didn't. You may also recall that it was tested with no charge on the energy draw PTS and then PGI said they didn't like it and clearly would not have removed the charge even if energy draw had lived.

View PostKhobai, on 15 July 2017 - 04:49 AM, said:

the charge mechanic currently makes 2/3rds of the Gauss weapons useless. It needs to go.

And the reality is such that the Heavy Gauss will never compete with ISUACs as long as it has chargeup. Because heavy gauss is a brawling weapon and chargeup is a mechanic that hurts brawling weapons. It is entirely counterintuitive.

So just turn it into a AC25 with much longer max range and higher velocity and lower heat? I guess it is 11 crit slots and extremely heavy with a high cooldown still, which are pretty major drawbacks, but I don't exactly care for that.

Like I said, if you give Gauss a min range with a linear damage dropoff, then it wont be able to compete with ACs at brawling range. It allows the removal of chargeup on gauss while still maintaining the integrity of autocannons as brawling weapons.

And if Std Gauss has a min range with linear dropoff and Light Gauss and Heavy Gauss dont, then theyre less overshadowed by standard Gauss. Which is a good thing. Because right now Std Gauss completely overshadows them both.

I mean you could argue Light Gauss should have a min range too. But I dont think Light Gauss with no min range is in danger of putting Autocannons out of business. So I think its fine with no min range, and it actually gives it an advantage over Std Gauss, if Std Gauss has a min range and Light Gauss doesnt.

The gauss charge also addresses the snapshot capability at long range as well though, and on top of that gauss rifles used to have far lower projectile velocity before gauss charge was added and the very high velocity was very clearly justified by gauss charge being added.

I'm just not convinced that gauss charge should go away.

Edited by Pjwned, 15 July 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#83 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

View PostVonbach, on 15 July 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

Lrms are nowhere near as effective as Gauss ppc and everyone knows it. Gauss PPC does a ton of damage to one location at extreme range. Lrms have so many counters its hard to count them all. Including travel time and AMS not to mention the damage is spread all over the mech.
Not to mention you cant fire poptart fire lrms.

Err yes you can poptart fire LRM's

#84 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

Does not bother me but I on the OP's comment about adjusting the heat. The only reason the 1 heat Gauss is so coveted in MWO is because MWO is SUPER toasty compared to table top. If the heat scale was not so wack there would not be quite as much value in a heavy weapon that is cool but can blow up in your face when crit.

Shift the game from high heat capacity to high heat dissapation and you would fix alot of these issues.

#85 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Gauss rifles heat is about balanced againts it's weight, ammo and really slow cooldown.

I think this change is a welcome one.

#86 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 15 July 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

Gauss rifles heat is about balanced againts it's weight, ammo and really slow cooldown.

I think this change is a welcome one.

Except that people will be using gauss vomit until gauss rifles are linked to lasers.

But at least the 1 heat is lore accurate still.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users