How Long We Gotta Wait

27 replies to this topic

#1 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:50 PM

For invisible obstacles and barriers and invisible ridges and edges to be finally removed and fixed in this game.

Its sooooooooooooo x 10000000000000000000000 annoying that you see a mech have clear los and BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM....

Your weapons that cost heat and your risk of exposing yourself, its all for nothing. You hit an invisble wall even though you had clear los.

How long, for what kind of eternity has this been in the game now? 1000 Years? A milenia?

Its so frustrating that pgi needs forever and then another 12 eternities plus a weekend and then another 9 months plus holidays and 5 more years to ever fix major bugs.

They just wont fix it.

They decide its not important.

Ill never understand their policy. It just doesnt make any sense. Dunno who sits there at a round or square table. Or who sits on the ground, in the garden or in the damn forest and decides how to handle major bugs like that. But the decisions and conclusions they come up with dont make any sense whatsoever.

So whats the official policy here?

Ill tell you:

PLS DEAR PPL AND PLAYERS FRIENDS AND FAMILY. WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO TRY TO FEEL WHERE YOU SHOULD POINT YOUR WEAPONS INSTEAD OF RELYING ON VISUAL INFORMATIN BECAUSE WE FEEL YOU CAN DO THAT JUST AS WELL AS LUKE JEDI MASTER SKYWALKER AS HE CAN DO ALL OF THAT AND MORE TOO.

#2 Iron Hyena

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

If you find a place where you get stuck or a place that blocks fire, you should report it as a bug with its location data to PGI. How else are they supposed to know if we don't tell them?

#3 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:56 PM

View PostIron Hyena, on 15 July 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

If you find a place where you get stuck or a place that blocks fire, you should report it as a bug with its location data to PGI. How else are they supposed to know if we don't tell them?

hahahahah....are u for real?

Youre serious arent you.

#4 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:56 PM

Polar Highlands+PPCs is the worst offender for me. Tourmaline is a close second. The pain of being able to see an enemy just standing there, and not being able to target or hit him because of an invisible wall? One of the few things in this game that gets my blood boiling.

#5 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:07 AM

View Postoneda, on 15 July 2017 - 11:50 PM, said:

For invisible obstacles and barriers and invisible ridges and edges to be finally removed and fixed in this game.
[...]

Those are not design errors or "bugs" per se that could "just be removed". They are artifacts of technical compromises.
For example due to "bounding boxes" (google it) or "level of detail" (google that too).

(I'm serious: If you do not google those things and not understand them at least on a basic level, stop talking about that topic)

Demanding for those to go away is like demanding for people not to die anymore in car crashes.
Of course it's desirable, but it's not really possible with the current technology and given the numerous requirements (functionality x aesthetics x performance x cost)

Edited by Paigan, 16 July 2017 - 03:35 AM.

#6 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:15 AM

View PostPaigan, on 16 July 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

Those are not design errors or "bugs" per se that could "just be removed". They are artifacts of technical compromises.
For example due to "bounding boxes" (google it) or "level of detail" (google that too).

(I'm serious: If you do not google those things and not understand them at least on a basic level, stop talking about that topic)

Demanding for those to go away is like demanding for people to die anymore in car crashes.
Of course it's desirable, but it's not really possible with the current technology and given the numerous requirements (functionality x aesthetics x performance x cost)

I dont care.

They gotta fix it. They build the maps afterall. Whoelse is to blame. Allimighty god in his throne room full of naked angels and real turkish kebab?

#7 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:26 AM

dude i move at a smoth 165.7 kph...

i dont have these problems... what are you in a assault ?

#8 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

Every once in a long while they say they did a pass on a map or two but it never seems to change much.

This game has invisible hitboxes galore.

#9 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:28 AM

maps schamps

P.G.I are to busy making features for about 5% of our not not exactly large population. to worry about maps.

However second poster is correct, if we don't record it and report it, then it won't get fixed anytime soon.

#10 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:37 AM

View PostPaigan, on 16 July 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

but it's not really possible with the current technology

lel.

Their collision hulls are just too simple and inadequate for this type of game. They should be using some sort of collision refinement so shots are calculated against actual geometry after they intersect with the basic collision hull. In terms of additional calculation load on the CPU: absolutely trivial, unless you really bork the code.

#11 Bad Karma 989

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:53 AM

Find a game that DOESN'T have invisible walls, artifacts, oddities, things that are just straight up "wtf" moments. If it's got terrain in it, I haven't seen one yet. Ever.

You're pissed, and yet another "PGI sucks" thread has begun...
...and yet you're still here. Still playing, after all these millennia. Care to explain that?
Never mind. I'll explain it for you. You like the game. You like the graphics. It's fun running around in the big stompy bot. It's the only game of it's type currently. If someone else could acquire the license and could do it better, you'd play that too. You're here for the mech-fun like all the rest of us, but there are all these little pains in the ***.

And of course, this should be a priority.
Just like every other damn thing the player base screams and moans about. Every damn thing is an absolute priority to every minger who whines about them.

So. You know where the invisible walls are? Point 'em out. Make a list. Submit the sumbitches to PGI's dev crew. Whining about the damn blocks doesn't do much good, as we're all aware it's a small dev house with a lot on it's plate and a problem with a map that could be negated by moving just a hair over and taking the shot again isn't very big on the list. See, if the shot doesn't make it to the target, then the target don't know you're there, unless you were dumb enough to stick your Spider out in front of a primed up Dire Whale and they can't help but see you.

Jesus, if it's so bad, then quit. But you won't, because you, like all the rest of us, love the abuse. We get to play stompy bots.
Either help fix the issue by coming up with identified blocks and walls or just shut up and kill mechs.

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:55 AM

I think overall the biggest problems are with long-range rendering detail. I especially run into this at Alpine, Tourmaline, and Polar, with weapons fire hitting terrain that's not rendered. My graphics settings are mostly at "high".

I'm not sure to what degree this just cannot be solved. If we drew every hillside and obstacle, out to max distance of longest-range weapons (~2 km) at full detail, what'd be the effect on FPS?

Old River City was pretty awful too. It'd fail to draw entire buildings and you'd see the enemy 'mechs moving behind them. I once I got accussed of wallhacks because I shot an enemy 'mech (by luck) the split-second he ran from behind a building.

#13 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:31 AM

I logged a few of these as issues on the public Issue Tracker (which is just a GitHub page where people can upvote issues so that PGI can see what we want fixed)

I would advise upvoting these three issues in particular, in regards to invisible geometry:

https://github.com/M...acker/issues/80
https://github.com/M...acker/issues/78
https://github.com/M...cker/issues/111

If you don't have a GitHub account, you will need to create one to upvote. This is how to upvote an issue:

Posted Image

Please consider creating an account and upvoting. The more people voting and tracking issues, the more seriously PGI will take it.

#14 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:34 AM

View Postoneda, on 16 July 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

I dont care.

They gotta fix it. They build the maps afterall. Whoelse is to blame. Allimighty god in his throne room full of naked angels and real turkish kebab?

Try reading what I wrote.

#15 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:42 AM

View PostBad Karma 989, on 16 July 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

Find a game that DOESN'T have invisible walls, artifacts, oddities, things that are just straight up "wtf" moments. If it's got terrain in it, I haven't seen one yet. Ever.

You're pissed, and yet another "PGI sucks" thread has begun...
...and yet you're still here. Still playing, after all these millennia. Care to explain that?
Never mind. I'll explain it for you. You like the game. You like the graphics. It's fun running around in the big stompy bot. It's the only game of it's type currently. If someone else could acquire the license and could do it better, you'd play that too. You're here for the mech-fun like all the rest of us, but there are all these little pains in the ***.

And of course, this should be a priority.
Just like every other damn thing the player base screams and moans about. Every damn thing is an absolute priority to every minger who whines about them.

So. You know where the invisible walls are? Point 'em out. Make a list. Submit the sumbitches to PGI's dev crew. Whining about the damn blocks doesn't do much good, as we're all aware it's a small dev house with a lot on it's plate and a problem with a map that could be negated by moving just a hair over and taking the shot again isn't very big on the list. See, if the shot doesn't make it to the target, then the target don't know you're there, unless you were dumb enough to stick your Spider out in front of a primed up Dire Whale and they can't help but see you.

Jesus, if it's so bad, then quit. But you won't, because you, like all the rest of us, love the abuse. We get to play stompy bots.
Either help fix the issue by coming up with identified blocks and walls or just shut up and kill mechs.

White knight pls go

I have never in my life seen a non-joke game with terrain hitboxes as lazy as MWO's, and they've been getting reports about these problem spots literally for years. Some of 'em, like the Ghost Hills of Polar Highlands, are so notorious that they've turned into memes, and PGI just doesn't care to do anything about it, because that'd be work and wouldn't sell mechpaksTM.

Also, the people who actually give a damn about the game are the ones fighting for it to be improved, not the hear-no-evil speak-no-evil see-no-evil types denying that anything is wrong.

#16 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:17 AM

Sending reports is pathetic.

Polar highlands is basically one giant failed hitbox. No matter what ridge you shoot at. There are invisible walls everywhere.

And you say send reports haha.

And yeah.....another hate thread. Cause thats a major flaw in the game. It sucks hard. If you dont care that volley after volley hits invisible walls something is wrong with you.

#17 Iron Hyena

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

View Postoneda, on 16 July 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

I dont care.

They gotta fix it.

A mighty foot stomping 12 year old tantrum. Im sure PGI will jump to your aid.

Reports are pathetic? Come on kid.

#18 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

We wait until Unreal Engine 4 sadly

#19 Vyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:28 AM

Two statements:

1) Minimally viable product
2) If they can't bill you for it, it's back-burner at best

#20 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

View Postoneda, on 16 July 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

Sending reports is pathetic.

Polar highlands is basically one giant failed hitbox. No matter what ridge you shoot at. There are invisible walls everywhere.

And you say send reports haha.

Actually, Polar doesn't have any hitbox issues. It has LoD issues, where it renders the the super low-poly interpretation of the heightmap at moderately close ranges. There's nothing you can do about it except force LoDs at longer ranges universally. Don't mistake it for traditional "hitbox" issues.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users