#1 Dragonscar

• PipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 24 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Hello All,
First off let me say I am a newbie and I understand I am cannon fodder right now :-)
But, I was in ( 25 ) PUG games yesterday and my team(s) only managed ( 4 ) games that would be in 100+ range for the loot bag event

( 2 ) games our team did not even score ( 1 ) kill so it was 12 to 0 in favor of the enemy :-(

I am usually one of the first to die, my game time is usually 4 to 6 mins before I am gone,, I have a " right off the showroom floor " HBK-IIC-B I am using right now

I thought I would try something with missiles, but I do not seem to be doing much damage at this point

Maybe I will try to reconfigure it somehow, REALLY like the game ( LOVED all the mech games ), just trying to stay positive :-)

Only had ( 1 ) game where team mates were bitching at others about how bad they were, maybe they were talking to me??...Haha

#2 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Sure the loot bag event is cool... but I would honestly focus more on learning the basics of the game play. Know when to move, shoot, when to twist, targeting specific areas, heat management, fire groups, ammo rationing, mech builds, etc. Event rewards will come after.

It sounds fairly simple to do, but it does take a bit of practice. Unless you drop with a good group of players, PUGs will always be tough, because everyone is a stranger.

The key is to make sure your team communicates. Voice Comms shouldn't be silent in QP. Laugh, make jokes, BS with the teammates. It gets people talking, and relaxes tension, they will be more likely to operate as a team.

But yes, until you learn and perfect the fire and maneuver, you will be cannon fodder. (Don't get down though, there are games where I'll get 30 seconds into it before I'm 1 shot alpha'd)

Edited by BaconTWOfourACTUAL, 10 July 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

This game can be very punishing to new players, due to the less than large player population you are going to get stuck in with vets, so you are going to get eaten, untill you learn how not to get eaten...

That being said, when it comes to missiles, do you prefer short range (270m) or long range (800m+, actual effective range is about 500m)?

I ask as you mentioned that you are using a stock HBK-IIC-B, they come stock with Clan Streak Short Range Missiles 6's (cSSRM/6's). These missile types generate extra heat when fired as a group, they also will not fire with out a lock on. This means mechs with ECM will shut down your ability to fight with the bulk of your fire power. The advantage to them, is that when you get a lock, all missiles will hit. The other thing to remember about your mech, is that it comes stock rather under armoured. Now if you prefer this play style, I would recommend this build: HBK-IIC-B

That build gets around the extra heat and no longer requires the lock on mechanic, it is also fully armoured (feel free to adjust armour values to your preference) and has a faster ground speed, meaning it gets into the fight sooner.

For long range, I would look at something like this: HBK-IIC-B

This configuration uses Clan Long Range Missiles 5 (cLRM/5's), when set to chain fire they will seek out the center torso of a mech and drill it out. That being said, LRM/s are great against newer players that do not know how to mitigate the effectiveness of LRM/s, but against seasoned players you will find your ability to hurt them will drop off significantly.

Now for some general medium mech pilot points of wisdom:
  • Never be the first to get stuck in a fight
  • Find something bigger than you and stick with them, they will draw fire.
  • Always find the soft gooy parts of the target. (rear armour or open internals)
  • Never operate alone.

#4 Dragonscar

• PipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 24 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 July 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

This game can be very punishing to new players, due to the less than large player population you are going to get stuck in with vets, so you are going to get eaten, untill you learn how not to get eaten...

That being said, when it comes to missiles, do you prefer short range (270m) or long range (800m+, actual effective range is about 500m)?

I ask as you mentioned that you are using a stock HBK-IIC-B, they come stock with Clan Streak Short Range Missiles 6's (cSSRM/6's). These missile types generate extra heat when fired as a group, they also will not fire with out a lock on. This means mechs with ECM will shut down your ability to fight with the bulk of your fire power. The advantage to them, is that when you get a lock, all missiles will hit. The other thing to remember about your mech, is that it comes stock rather under armoured. Now if you prefer this play style, I would recommend this build: HBK-IIC-B

That build gets around the extra heat and no longer requires the lock on mechanic, it is also fully armoured (feel free to adjust armour values to your preference) and has a faster ground speed, meaning it gets into the fight sooner.

For long range, I would look at something like this: HBK-IIC-B

This configuration uses Clan Long Range Missiles 5 (cLRM/5's), when set to chain fire they will seek out the center torso of a mech and drill it out. That being said, LRM/s are great against newer players that do not know how to mitigate the effectiveness of LRM/s, but against seasoned players you will find your ability to hurt them will drop off significantly.

Now for some general medium mech pilot points of wisdom:
  • Never be the first to get stuck in a fight
  • Find something bigger than you and stick with them, they will draw fire.
  • Always find the soft gooy parts of the target. (rear armour or open internals)
  • Never operate alone.

Thank you for the advise and the tips :-)

#5 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hey bud! MWO can be a bit discouraging at times to play, but I want you to remember that it happened to everyone. We were all new once, and it will still happens to us all anyways! Especially while new, no one can expect to know what good positioning is or what effective cover looks like until they get dumped on by missiles a few times; no one knows how far they can push their mech without overheating a few times. Even then, it's easy even for skilled players to grow a bit complacent and get rudely reminded.

We all have our good and bad moments, and we can learn from both :) Don't worry about ranking up or getting prizes, just worry about improving the fundamentals and the rewards will follow. A positive attitude helps; ignore the people talking trash, they're probably just in a rough patch. A quick example, yesterday in a match it was about 5 kills a piece and someone from each team started berating their teammates for the incoming hard loss... when it was an incredibly tight fight, ending 12-11 for us, barely.

As for some quick advice, those above me got it right. The only advice I'll add is that ~60-80% radar deprivation is almost mandatory if one doesn't run AMS, and try to remember that a medium on the front line dies very quickly during a push, coming or going.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

I will add some more advice.

if you can always try to have something targeted, that will tell you the targets week points as well as allow the rest of the team to know the target is there.

avoid overheating if possible

do not be afraid to experement, not every weapon will work well with every person and some people just do not like the feel of a specific Mech,

All Hunckbacks come with a 200 engine which is good for 64kph, being faster (higher rated engine) may help if you ever have problems keeping up with the team or finding yourself out of position.

The stock loadout is streak SRMs, they do not fire without a lock and do no damage outside 360m, also you will want an Active Probe so you cannot be shut down by an enemy ECM, also Artemis fire control upgrades SSRMs by allowing them to lock on more quickly
I persionaly would take SRM6+Artemis (artemis is optional but in my opinion worth it) with the stock Medium Pulse Lasers and drop a few heatsinks for a 255 engine for better speed with slightly worse cooling
I prefer regular SRMs to streaks because while Streaks do lock and track, they target a random componant, you cannot target a specific componant to finish a componant or Mech quickly which you can do with regular SRMs.

#7 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 10 July 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

avoid overheating if possible

^ This. Heat management. Speaking from experience, (I'm a light pilot) the last place you want to be is in a Locust, shutting down from overheating behind the Atlas you were shredding the back armor of... He's going to turn around.

#8 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

A few simple guidelines to play by.

Keep a persistent watch on your mini map. Not just for enemies. But your allies, they will abandon you.

Stay with a group of allies and fire on whichever target they are focusing on. If you're in the lead use the command "Enemy Spotted" to indicate your target.

Be aware of the terrain and how you can use it to approach with cover or retreat.

Patience is best until you learn the correct time for boldness.

Edit: Forgot one important tip. Torso twist right after firing. Try to alternate the direction you twist so as to spread damage.

And one last thing. People forget they once were new. Don't take to heart their complaining. Only any offered advice.

Edited by MechaBattler, 10 July 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

Welcome to MWO!!!

MWO, like most other MPBT/MW games have a steep learning curve, but even more so when it is a PVP environment.

Just for clarification, are you dropping in Solo Queue or are you dropping with another person(s) in the Group Queue? GQ is very brutal at times, especially if those in your own group are new.

First, Mouse sensitivity in-game settings. Move it from the far right (1.0) to the far left, around 0.2.

Everyone else pretty well covered the rest. Do NOT be in a hurry!!!. There is no respawn SQ/GQ.

Have you run through the Academy? You will earn additional funds completing the initial courses. There are additional courses that you can also run through.

There is also the Testing Grounds. The 8 mechs are just target dummies but you can also run through on how you would fire upon them, etc.

If you have friends who are also playing, there are private lobbies. You do not earn anything there but it will allow you all to tweak and test out items on each other.
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5810920

Lastly. Have fun. Do not worry about your win/loss. It is important but you are part of a team of 12, you all win together or you all lose together. Try to work together but even if it does not happen, just make sure to simply set a goal for yourself then slowly raise it up, be it how much damage you do, sticking with team mates and firing on their targets. At the end of each match there is the Team stuff then another tab at the top for your stuff. Protect Medium, Scouting, etc

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 July 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#10 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

A minor suggestion:
When testing heat management of a mech build, always pick Caustic Valley or Terra Therma. If the build works decently on a hot map, it'll work very well everywhere else.

#11 kyfire

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostAzureRathalos, on 10 July 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

A minor suggestion:
When testing heat management of a mech build, always pick Caustic Valley or Terra Therma. If the build works decently on a hot map, it'll work very well everywhere else.

Actually

Tourmaline Desert is the hotter map of all, followed closely by Caustic and Terra.

#12 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

View Postkyfire, on 10 July 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

Actually

Tourmaline Desert is the hotter map of all, followed closely by Caustic and Terra.

That's funny... I would've expected Terra to be the hottest, considering the map layout.... There is also a FW map that is stupid hot too. My PIRATES' BANE can only alpha two or three times before hitting 90% on the heat cap.

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

Yep as others have stated, this game is hard for new players.

Skill Tree also punishes you even more as it's a maze to wade through and starting out, you've got no idea what's valuable.

I would suggest looking for a unit and join it. Most units do in house training for pilots, you'll pick up stuff much faster that way.

I went from a 0.30 KDR in my first 3 months to being 0.8 KDR in the following 4 months - all from being trained/learning off people who know the game. Now I'm sitting at 2.04 KDR globally, took a while given how often I did without doing anything in my first 500 games :)

Edited by justcallme A S H, 10 July 2017 - 07:00 PM.

#14 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

For Example Posted Image Long Range Missles very difficult to play;-)
Inner Sphere LRMs have 180m Minimum Range , under it =no Damage...
Its the Target in you own View ? or only a Mate Lock ? Mate locks very short and most Missles going in Cover
Missles spread the Fire over many Parts

little Tips:
never stand and Go alone ...go with Team and fire of Targets thats have many red damaged Parts
Firing the LRMs (seeing above) of 300-500m -thats the optimal range to seeing Targets
take targets thats stand in open Terrain or far away from Cover
Use a TAG Laser or Artemis for LRMs -reduce Spread and more guided
never forget Backup Weapons like Lasersfor selfdefense

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 10 July 2017 - 08:46 PM.

#15 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

View PostDragonscar, on 10 July 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

Hello All,
First off let me say I am a newbie and I understand I am cannon fodder right now :-)
But, I was in ( 25 ) PUG games yesterday and my team(s) only managed ( 4 ) games that would be in 100+ range for the loot bag event

( 2 ) games our team did not even score ( 1 ) kill so it was 12 to 0 in favor of the enemy :-(

I am usually one of the first to die, my game time is usually 4 to 6 mins before I am gone,, I have a " right off the showroom floor " HBK-IIC-B I am using right now

I thought I would try something with missiles, but I do not seem to be doing much damage at this point

Maybe I will try to reconfigure it somehow, REALLY like the game ( LOVED all the mech games ), just trying to stay positive :-)

Only had ( 1 ) game where team mates were bitching at others about how bad they were, maybe they were talking to me??...Haha

Since the lobby is free for all since last patch I highly recommend getting someone to play some lobby games with you.
-->> Someone playing the slightly debilated enemy and someone spectating you and giving advise how to play against your Opponent.

#16 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

For some qik results OP me thinks

Slap on Quad SRM6 with Arty
and a flamer
Edit:I'm guessing you don't have enough for another mech yet

At the start of each game find the assualt lance, Press Q
Stick with the assualts and shoot wot they shoot

Why - Cause assualt mechs make good bullet magnets, so you will get shot at less
Whay - Stops you running off alone and dieing early.

Try it, and report your results Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 11 July 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#17 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:30 AM

Getting match score of 100 is about what you do. You kinda seem to know that but you need to do that.

So first step, don't die first when you don't do any or not enough damage. Of the currently available mechs, try Raven. It has two ER-L. Shoot things at 800m to 1000m range, specially heavies or assults if you see them. If you see any light mechs, run away towards your bigger team mates. If you die along the first 5 of your team, you didn't run away enough.

It has ECM but it won't help you much without the skill nodes.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

View PostDragonscar, on 10 July 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

Hello All,

Some quick tips:

1) It took me 2 weeks to get my first kill, and I knew a lot about Mechwarrior before I started and so I had advantages that some don't.
2) Whatever you aim for, keep hitting it in the same spot until you see an explosion. That is extremely important every mech has about 19 health pools (11 armor pools, 8 structure pools). So focus something and shoot it until it is gone. But not if that will get you killed.
3) If you must run, never do it in a straight line. It's best if you can shoot back as you run, but this isn't easy.
4) Hunchback IIC doesn't have it as easy as the Hunchback. Sure you have a lot more firepower, but you don't have the same tanking power. You have a missile mech, are you using LRMs? Just hang back a bit.
5) Do not be the first one to the field. I personally wait about 30 seconds before I even move to make sure I'm not the first one there. By being late to the party you can assess what is going on and decide where you are most needed.
6) Remain calm. Even under fire, consider your next move and your options. You're not likely to die instantly, so take your time.

If you are using LRMs, this Archer video might be useful.

When I was on light mechs, I discovered that given the right conditions, even 0 kills and barely over 100 damage can net a 100 match score. On missions with objectives, the objectives contribute a lot to your match score and don't require (too much) fighting.

#19 Orville Righteous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 127 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hey Dragonscar, this game is pretty difficult as a new player. It's pretty common to get farmed by the more experienced players. Don't get discouraged. I wouldn't really worry about the challenges too much when you're just starting out. Get whatever you can, but don't stress over it. Concentrate on getting better as a player and the challenges will get easier over time.

You might want to try a different mech. If you were using SRMs, try lasers. There's a HBK-IIC energy variant that you could try 2 LPL and 3 ER MLs on. It's pretty fun. Try the different Trial 'mechs to see if you do better with different weight classes and different load outs.

When you're just starting out, look at the list of players on both sides of the team. You'll get a sense of which players are good and which units are good. Try to follow one of those good players on your team if you can, assuming they have a similar load out. You don't want to follow the locust pilot if you're not in a light. I had a lot of luck following a more experience player when I started out.

Don't get caught by yourself. Watch the mini-map and follow your team. Don't advance into the enemy solo. Try to limit the people shooting at you. If you have 3 or 4 guys shooting at you, you're going to die fast so use cover to limit how many enemies can shoot at you. If you can get a free trade on someone, that's the best.

If you're in a HBK-IIC, use those high mounts to your advantage. Hill hump with it. If you're using a mech with low mounts, then corner peak. Change your tactics to the mech you're in.

Playing is the best way to get better. Your tactics, aim, etc. will improve with time. Still, be prepared to get stomped, but less frequently. There are some phenomenal players that play this game and if you meet a bunch on the same team, it can get ugly quickly. Just take the beating and move on to the next game.

#20 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

Yo. Looks like you got some great advice already. Sounds like you've already gotten the hang of the game, and though there are plenty of skills to work on, I figured I'd drop some tactical considerations. That guide was designed for assaults specifially, but there's some good mech build discussion later in the thread and since assaults are so slow I try to go over some more tactical considerations. Always try to be aware of your minimap an try an think of your mech as one unit in a larger rts. Where can you place it to it's best effect? That little inspiration really got me into my groove.

Check out the social button down at the bottom of the screen next to the LFG button an send me a friend invite. I'm a bit busy this week, but if I see you on, I'll see if we can get some private matches in an we can work on whatever you'd like. If you have teamspeak, my unit is oft on na1.mech-connect.net Kell's Commandos, two thirds the way down. You could hop on an see if I'm there, as I tend to miss the in game social chat for a match or two. (Etiquette if I am in a group is to hop on an wait a few seconds to ensure no one is saying anything an then ask if there's a match in progress.)

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 11 July 2017 - 11:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users