16 replies to this topic

#1 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

I already have the IV-FOUR and he's already loaded with dual LB 10-X because I like that weapon.

Any reason why to get the LEGEND-KILLER? Both have some Ballistic quirks which end up giving 20% cooldown for the LB 10-X now. Remember when IV had 30% Ballistic cooldown?

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

Consider both mechs if both lose offensive quirks.
If in that case one appears more useful than the other, then there is your answer, and the likely future.

Oh, and high hard points matter.

Edited by Bud Crue, 20 September 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#3 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 September 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

True, happened quite a few times I've hit the floor with the low arms of the Quickdraw.

#4 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Also consider that the IV-4 can do 2 AC10s and 2 ERML, or even 2UAC10s or 2MRM30/40 (go with the 30s) and still run an LFE 255 (or better depending on ammo) and a JJ. Then you can dedicate the LK to the 2LBX10 4ML build...that is if you still want both. Just a thought as to how you can differentiate them.

#5 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

Legend Killer.

#6 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

Higher hardpoints are more important.

#7 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:24 AM

Quickdraw has better quirks, rifleman has better geometry.

With how unreliable quirks are, I'd rather buy a legend killer, personally.

#8 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

Legend Killer is much prettier, I personally think IV is the stronger mech at this moment though.

#9 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:08 AM

I bought the LK, but mainly for fluff reasons. They both look OK optically.
Looking now at the quirks of IV-4 I like that you are not bound to a specific weapon (not even weapon group or class on the LK).

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:34 AM

View PostKuaron, on 25 September 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

I bought the LK, but mainly for fluff reasons. They both look OK optically.
Looking now at the quirks of IV-4 I like that you are not bound to a specific weapon (not even weapon group or class on the LK).

I suspect not for long. The 2MRM30 (and AMS) IV-4 build seems to be a trend. If this trend continues to the point that IV-4s are determined to be "over performers" by PGI, then PGI will inevitably take away the missile cooldown quirk. Unfortunately, since PGI has historically shown that they are typically unaware when a specific build is what is causing the determined "over performance" they will likely nerf it indiscriminately and reduce or eliminate all the offensive quirks of the IV-4. That will leave the LK and even the Fang and Flame as better hero alternatives to the IV-4 at 60 tons in the IS, I think (Flame and LK both have great and decent high hard points).

I was grateful that they didn't smack the IV-4 in the last balance pass, but I am confident that they will get around to it eventually, especially if the IV-4 continues this apparent resurgence in play, particularly by good teams (went up against an an 8 man last week of guys running 6 MRM IV-4s and 2 Pirate's Banes). Add that resurgence and presumed PGI verdict of "over performance" to PGI's on the record statements of wanting to "dramatically reduce" overall quirks, and I think the IV-4s days as a quirk monster are numbered.

TLDR: Its inevitable that the IV-4 will lose at least some of its current quirks. The LK will survive and still be playable even with no quirks, the IV-4 will not.

#11 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 25 September 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

TLDR: Its inevitable that the IV-4 will lose at least some of its current quirks. The LK will survive and still be playable even with no quirks, the IV-4 will not.

Isn't delicate to modify when thousands have paid for a Mech? I know balance is important, they already nerfed ballistic from 30% to 20%... ah decisions! Not always easy.

#12 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

View PostRhialto, on 25 September 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

Isn't delicate to modify when thousands have paid for a Mech? I know balance is important, they already nerfed ballistic from 30% to 20%... ah decisions! Not always easy.

This is not WoT and PGI has a different approach in this case.
In the state this game is in it is the more appropriate one.

Edited by Kuaron, 25 September 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#13 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 25 September 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

I suspect not for long. The 2MRM30 (and AMS) IV-4 build seems to be a trend.

Yes, single and double missile slots got better and need less quirks now with newtech.
But I'm rather speaking of that the LK should have a generic LBX quirk instead of the LBX10 one, if it was for me.
Now it doesn't, but the IV-4 has generic ones.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

View PostRhialto, on 25 September 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

Go back and look at the nerfs from rescale to last Tuesday. Of all the quickies, the IV-4 got off the lightest in terms of nerfs. No, if they were willing to nerf all the other Quickdraws to the extent they did/have (see patch notes of June 2016, July 2016, see also the SRM4 nerf of earlier this year which directly impacted the G and H; see the skills tree nerfs (base agility increase is only a buff if you were playing Quickdraws with a 300 or smaller rated engine)) all because a couple of teams were kicking *** with them in faction play -and ONLY in faction play- (during their peak use of ISEN's "storm trooper deck" I rarely encountered a Quickdraw in QP) then they will, with a CERTAINTY hit the IV-4, repeatedly if necessary if it even smells like it might be over performing. It is after all one of those horrid P2W mechs that must be made mediocre for all of our sakes. ;)

Edited by Bud Crue, 25 September 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#15 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

I would get the Legend Killer, however I didn't like my Quickdraws and loved my Riflemen.

#16 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

55 ton high roller is better for your money

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 September 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Consider both mechs if both lose offensive quirks.
If in that case one appears more useful than the other, then there is your answer, and the likely future.

Yup. Though TBH I dislike my Legend Killer considerably. And most cases where LB-Xs are truly useful isn't sniping over cover..... so JJs vs Highmounts... IDK tough choice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users