New Tech Madness

51 replies to this topic

#1 Nean

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

I'm starting this thread to see what builds are happening with the new tech update. All builds are welcome, silliness and madness is allowed. Just remember this is the medium mech forum.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 July 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

Annihilator
3 ER ML
2 SPL
3 Heavy MG
2 RAC/5.

Enemy Mad Cat MK II
Enemy Linebacker
One or more missile boats.

Stood toe to toe 150 meters apart and wrecked him, even if half my shots went into the ground below him (due to hill and low hung arms).

Posted Image
He's under the smoke; the blue thing with the shark face.

Posted Image
Inner Sphere's clearly OP, as we've always known. Posted Image

Rawr.

Happy to 3v1 Clanners again.

<.< Mine.

#3 Nean

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

Bit oversized for a medium mech dontcha think XD

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostNean, on 19 July 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

Bit oversized for a medium mech dontcha think XD

Good point; didn't see that last line. >.> Will come back with the Hunchbacks and such Friday.

#5 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

It wasn't my build, but I specced a hunchie H with a RAC5 and 5MLs that tore it up one game. Don't know what he had in it, engine wise, but it looked something like this and tore it up.

Edited by Karl the Plumber, 19 July 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#6 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

View PostKarl the Plumber, on 19 July 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

It wasn't my build, but I specced a hunchie H with a RAC5 and 5MLs that tore it up one game. Don't know what he had in it, engine wise, but it looked something like this and tore it up.

I'll give that a look.

#7 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:30 PM

I've put 2x RAC2 and a LPPC onto an Enforcer -5P. I fully expect it to be horrible

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

Tried a RAC5 in my GridIron: It looks cool and it's incredibly fun to shoot but surprisingly does little damage. Couldn't break 300 damage in two matches and it requires so much face time, you lose armor very quick. Still scares the hell out of the enemy team, I had a Atlas break from his push to get out of my line of fire.

#9 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 19 July 2017 - 11:01 PM, said:

Tried a RAC5 in my GridIron: It looks cool and it's incredibly fun to shoot but surprisingly does little damage. Couldn't break 300 damage in two matches and it requires so much face time, you lose armor very quick. Still scares the hell out of the enemy team, I had a Atlas break from his push to get out of my line of fire.

There's a simple solution for the facetime problem - just equip 2 RAC5s. Though in reality RACs aren't good for the Grid Iron's quirks - if you want to use the new tech add a light fusion engine to the dual AC5 build or do a straight swap of the dual AC5s to make a dual LB5X build with a light fusion engine.

A different approach that I tried in one match that didn't seem too bad was to use the hunch as a shield side and make use of its missile quirks. The MRM40 GRID IRON is great at firing into deathballs or groups of mechs, and can do some serious CT damage while facehugging a heavy or assault. With the Grid Iron's 15% missile cooldown and 10% missile velocity the MRM40 is pretty potent and cycles at about 4 seconds per shot.

I've also theory-crafted a Dual Light Gauss Grid Iron build, but the sacrifices made to get two light gauss into the mech make me hesitant to try it out in gameplay.

#10 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 19 July 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

I've put 2x RAC2 and a LPPC onto an Enforcer -5P. I fully expect it to be horrible

I've actually tried it and it's actually pretty good but you need to be very aware of the landscape - all your weapons are pretty low. Good for peeking round corners if you stick both RACs on the one arm.

#11 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Build for BJ-2 (L). Uses LFE and MRMs. Don't think I have enough MRM ammo, but only played it twice, and the first time my team steamrolled through the enemy, so didn't do a lot.

Really don't like using XL engines on IS mechs, so trying to avoid it. Also avoiding SRMs.

Any suggestions?

#12 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostKeltan, on 20 July 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

Build for BJ-2 (L). Uses LFE and MRMs. Don't think I have enough MRM ammo, but only played it twice, and the first time my team steamrolled through the enemy, so didn't do a lot.

Really don't like using XL engines on IS mechs, so trying to avoid it. Also avoiding SRMs.

Any suggestions?

Adding Endo-Steel would give you two more tons to work with. I prefer the 225 engines on my Blackjacks because it's the least tonnage to get 9 internal heatsinks but this BJ-2(L) is your build tweaked a bit to how I'd probably run it; 4 tons of ammo will give you 30 bursts of the MRMs, and you have two ERSLs for a bit of pinpoint damage (I prefer the ERSLs to SPLs because you don't have to get nearly as close, and will still do some damage to mechs at over 300m).

You could also add light ferro for about another half-ton to play with but it may restrict other BJ-2 builds. Committing fully to the quad MRM10 build I think something like this BJ-2(L) build would be good. I used the light ferro and shaved off a bit of armour to add an extra heatsink (using smurfy's calculations I try to get at or over a 40% cooling efficiency, and the previous build was a bit shy at 39%).

#13 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Having fun in Centurions again: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c342dec8ab295e

Still loving my Bushwacker. Favorite medium in the game http://mwo.smurfy-ne...96e1dc83f9129c8

Crab benefits from the LFE. Not as survivable as std but that FP though. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dec3a74af7b7bc3

Edited by Kaptain, 20 July 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#14 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:30 PM

I might do this to my GRID IRON once I get a chance to play. May have to swap the LFE for a STD 200 depending on c-bills

#15 Evilwallofdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

One of my favs right now is a Catapult C1(F) with two ERSL, two Heavy PPCs, and two Rocket 20s

#16 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Cicadas!
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2f8330644c6269a[/smurfy]
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...728439ec55e075e[/smurfy]
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0ebb7b204c5c464[/smurfy]

Crabs!
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1fe580270fab4fd[/smurfy]
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...37fbe29b60cbf9d[/smurfy]

THUNDERBACK!
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...44f4fa06289d56f[/smurfy]

What takes 11 slots?
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8446e97df615b78[/smurfy]

Edited by stealthraccoon, 21 July 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#17 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

New builds for old 'Mechs. Just the ones I have so far (yes, some of these are bad, but I wasn't really going for meta):

Grid Iron (My 4G still has AC20+3xML; I wanted to compare them directly)

HBK-4SP (Muuuurms)

Yen-Lo-Wang (UAC20 was the natural choice- the only way to boost the Wang's damage output)

Arrow (it had LLs, but then I thought: why give the enemy facetime before you have to?)

WVR-7D (swapped an AC2 for the UAC2, a SPL for the ERSL, and dropped half a ton of armor off the dead arm)

VND-1X (I had 2xAC5+ML on it before, so all I did was swap the guns and add light ferro)

New 'Mechs:

UZL-3S

UZL-2S (purely for nostalgia... it's my Uzi config from MW4- more or less- because the 2S was the variant used in MW4)

#18 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:16 PM

On the subject of Vindicators, are either of these two worth it? They're the same build weapons-wise just that one is running a smaller LFE and the other a maxed out XL
ST. IVES' BLUES
VND-1AA(C)

#19 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

My gut instinct is to say no, and this is why...

The primary damage sources have no synergy. LPPCs are PPFLD weapons which you ideally fire and immediately get back in cover or twist to spread return fire. MRMs are ripple-launched dumbfire missiles requiring extended facetime to land a significant percentage of shots on target. Within each weapon's optimal range, they require radically different handling, so you would have a good bit of difficulty dealing effective damage with both at once.

The 1AA is quirked for PPCs and has more energy hardpoints, so I would say PPCs as the main damage for that variant. Maybe try one light and one heavy PPC (which has the same range profile but costs one ton less than the "standard" 2xPPC VND-1AA build). Here's how I would do it. PPCs are hot no matter what type you bring, and that makes extra sinks more important than a higher top speed. Regular small lasers work as a backup, and have good synergy with the PPCs- they don't cost much tonnage so they don't greatly reduce the number of heat sinks you can carry, and they cover the 0-90m deadzone where the PPCs can't deal damage.

The SIB has two missile hardpoints, and it's the only VND that does, so if you want to put MRMs on a Vindicator this is your baby. For MRMs as a main weapon, keep the XL, because all but the smallest launchers are heavy as hell and you still need room for ammo (that's the config I plan on trying with my SIB). If you really want to run LFE, then I suggest going with lasers and SRMs instead because you can still fit a very respectable alpha with max 250LFE.

Unfortunately, the Vindicator just doesn't seem to lend itself to builds with LFE and enough of the new weapons to be effective. Only the 1R can boat (it can run 4xLPPC with LFE); the other variants really have to choose between taking the punchier options among the new hardware or running with the extra survivability offered by LFE and a more conventional array of older tech for weaponry. Either way, you get to play with the new toys, but try to have it both ways and it probably won't work out in the long run.

There's something to be said for doing what's fun, though, even if it's not the most effective... so if you want to run LPPCs and MRMs and lasers all jumbled together, go nuts. Turning in a good score with a config that's got everything but the kitchen sink crammed into it is outrageously satisfying- see my WVR-7D; it's objectively terrible, with four different projectile speeds and three different firing mechanics... but I've had some great games in that 'Mech (it was running UAC5+AC2+SPL+2xSRM2 before the new tech dropped, and now has UAC5+UAC2+ERSL+2xSRM2, so... a little more dps, but it's still a silly config). Sometimes the worst and weirdest builds end up being the most enjoyable.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 23 July 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#20 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

I figure that the MRMs and ML should sync up passably well together given the similar range and possibly duration profile. Probably a better bet than the 2x light machine gun and MRM10 that I've got on an Uziel at the moment

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users