- - - - -

Ecm Mech's

11 replies to this topic

#1 Saber Fang

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

What mechs are great for ecm plus stealth armor? I want to save up for one that has one or two of these types of weapons. Missles, ppc, or guass. Can you show me some builds? Is there a short video guide on ecm?

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

it is too early to say what Mechs are best for stealth armor, it was only released on Tuesday.

Mechs able to use stealth armor which have tonage and hardpoints for at least 2 of missiles, PPC and Gauss
Phoenix Hawk PHX-B,
Enforcer Ghillie (Hero Mech)
Griffin GRF-2N
Archer Tempest (Hero Mech)
Cataphract CFT-0XP
Stalker STK-3FB
Cyclops CP-11-P
Atlas AS7-D-DC
Hero Mechs are not and will never be available for Cbills
there are other ECM Mechs which do not have the required tonnage and/or hardpoints for what you requested

look the Mechs up on Smurfy's Mechlab, that allows you to play with builds and figure out the total cost of purchasing and outfitting before spending any cbills/MC.

as for builds sorry but I have not found any good builds, since the new tech went in, for any of those and I do not know of a good video guide for ECM

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 21 July 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#3 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostSaber Fang, on 21 July 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

What mechs are great for ecm plus stealth armor... that [can use missiles / gauss / PPC]

I'm not convinced that one should expect to do significant damage while running stealth; then again I'm also not very creative, viewing stealth armour primarily for scouting and harassment. I can see why it's super tempting to run stealth armour on heavies and assaults but I don't think there's any significant benefit for them to run it, compared to running it on mediums and lights. With gauss being the exception, any other weapon will overheat a stealth mech reeeeal quick; heat always creeps faster than expected :P

If you wanted to run stealth to avoid hot missile death, you'll be further ahead with AMS / LAMS. If you wanted to create a stealthy assault...I'm not sure what to tell you lol.

For what it's worth I've only put stealth on my Locust-PB and I'm enjoying it...but at no point am I expecting to do any more damage than what I expect from nomming on rear armour. From the other side, I can maybe see a use as the "ignore missile" toggle: enemy locks and fires, hit the button and disappear from their sensors for a second; it already has a cooldown to prevent excessive peeking!... I'm just pitching into the wind

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

View PostSaber Fang, on 21 July 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

What mechs are great for ecm plus stealth armor? I want to save up for one that has one or two of these types of weapons. Missles, ppc, or guass. Can you show me some builds? Is there a short video guide on ecm?

I can't share builds yet. But basically, no Clan Omnimechs (Hellbringer, etc.) Can't change their armor type.

You'd want a mech of a minimum of 45 tons to do any of those ideas, ruling out the ECM Cicada 3M and anything lighter. This said, even at 45 tons it is somewhat difficult to pull this off.

The other big factor is you want to make sure the mech can run 'cold' enough. PGI did something smart in that instead of a steady heat generation of 10 units per 10 seconds (1 heat per second), all of your heat dissipation is locked until you turn it off. Even so, the more heatsinks you have, the higher your max heat threshold (max heat before you shut down) and so you want to be able to shove as many into it as possible. Suddenly by Stalker 3F2 is looking really appealing for the idea.

Anyway, good luck.

Edit: Removed accidental double quote.

Edited by Koniving, 21 July 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:36 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 July 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

I can't share builds yet. But basically, no Clan Omnimechs (Hellbringer, etc.) Can't change their armor type.

Stealth Armor is IS only, no Clan Mech can use it.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 July 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

Stealth Armor is IS only, no Clan Mech can use it.

Well this sucks.
I accidentally read into the "Battle Armor" section of Stealth Armor, where the Clans do have improved stealth armor (starting in semi-mass production) as early as 3058.

Side note: Mech Stealth Armor includes the following traits in BT...
  • User suffers as if under enemy ECM (no locks). Is this true in MWO?
  • Generates 10 heat per 10 seconds (I'm aware this isn't true in MWO but instead it locks you from cooling at all; makes sense when you consider the next item on this list).
  • Infrared "Baffling", effectively removing your thermal signature from enemy Thermal sensors (invisible on heat vision).
  • Undetectable with any standard mech sensor suite.
  • Detectable through Seismic Sensors (under double blind, not all mechs have this; much like MWO requires you to dedicate some skill tree to it).
  • Undetectable with MAG vision except at extremely close range. (Not in the game.)
  • Undetectable by any Active Probe except Bloodhound (which is not in the game).
So. Wonder how much of this is true to MWO and how much PGI changed.

Edited by Koniving, 22 July 2017 - 05:49 AM.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:51 AM

you cannot get locks or be locked while Stealth Armor is active, visual is the only way to see the Mech.
I am not sure about seismic or thermal but I am pretty sure AP does not detect you while stealth is active

#8 Rusharn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

I have played a few matches in my Cyclops and Pirates Bane and some of the effects I have seen is as follows:

Stealth armor on light mechs is awesome. It allows you to fade much easier and seems to make it more difficult for the enemy to organize a hunt for you. Even just flipping it on and off seems to make it easy to escape pursuit.

On my Cyclops it again seem to make it harder for the enemy to focus on you, Makes it safe to relocate, and can give you an edge on poking. However you have to learn to when toggle your stealth to get the maximum out of it without overheating.

It is great for dodging missiles. You see incoming missile, toggle stealth on, move and they miss.

The problem with stealth armor is that it is difficult to get hard data on how effective it is, because a lot of its effectiveness is based on how much the enemy relies on locks and mini map data for targeting and engaging.

#9 Saber Fang

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

What Light mechs comes with stealth armor and what good mechs can use them? Both cash and noncash versions? I'll go for stealth over ecm. If one has ecm that I like, that will be a bonus.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostSaber Fang, on 22 July 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

What Light mechs comes with stealth armor and what good mechs can use them? Both cash and noncash versions? I'll go for stealth over ecm. If one has ecm that I like, that will be a bonus.

None in MWO. Got to attach it yourself; any mech that comes with or can equip ECM (ECM hardpoints "1") can use Stealth armor.

And only ECM mechs can use it....and only if they have ECM equipped.
http://www.sarna.net...i/Stealth_Armor
Relevant stuff ends at the end of "Rules", as from there it goes on to battle armor for infantry, vehicles, etc.

Edited by Koniving, 22 July 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

View PostSaber Fang, on 22 July 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

As Koniving said no Mech currently comes with Stealth Armor but here are the Light Mechs which can fit it
Locust Pirates Bane (Hero Mech)
Commando COM-2D
Spider SDR-5D
Javlin JAV-11B (only available as part of the Javlin pack until August 8th for MC, September 5th for cbills)
Raven RVN-3L
Wolfhound Grinner (Hero Mech)
Cicada CDA-3M (I know technicaly a Medium but realy it is a Light)

#12 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

You just need to know when to turn it on and off.
As an owner of Ghillie, GRF-2N and CTF-0XP, I could see using it to sneak into the enemy backside and just as I am about to alpha the back of a key enemy, turn it off the strike probably seriously hurting if not killing that Mech outright.
I read somewhere here someone was enjoying using Stealth on a Raven-3L with 3LPPCs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users