The Reason, Why Polar Highlands Should Be Deleted From This Game

79 replies to this topic

#1 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:09 AM

I don't play this game very often, but new tech is something, I would want to try. Collected some MCs during previous event. I've been wanting to buy Top Dog for a long time already - just have been waiting for sale. So here is sale and I've bought it. Ok.

Then I saw FP event. I haven't been playing FP for a long time already due to obvious reason - it was terrible. Boring maps, unbalanced modes, no matchmaker, IS, being much weaker, than Clans. But now, when we have QP modes in it, it should be much better. So I decided to give it a try.

And guess, what happened? Yeah, very first match - Polar Highlands Assault. My 'Mechs weren't brawlers this time, no, nothing to complain about. They all had around 700m of effective range. But this map is simply unplayble. You try to hit somebody, but enemies just stand in a line and shoot at you via ER-PPCs/ER-LLs all at once, like at shooting gallery, and at exact moment, when any enemy player spots you - LRM rain starts from around 4-5 'Mechs at once, that simply one-shots you within split second, even if you try to use cover.

Almost all 'Mechs were lost without doing any significant damage - second was lost without doing any damage at all. Just waste of time. So I even decided to ragequit at that point, but reconnected soon after, cuz one of my 'Mechs had broken loadout and I needed to fix it anyway, but this 'Mech was locked in match.

Result? I will never try to play FP again. NEVER. Thx PGI for great "new player experience". PGI is best at providing worst possible match, as first match of the day or even of whole career, that just instantly drives players away from this game.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:17 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 22 July 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

I don't play this game very often, but new tech is something, I would want to try. Collected some MCs during previous event. I've been wanting to buy Top Dog for a long time already - just have been waiting for sale. So here is sale and I've bought it. Ok.

Then I saw FP event. I haven't been playing FP for a long time already due to obvious reason - it was terrible. Boring maps, unbalanced modes, no matchmaker, IS, being much weaker, than Clans. But now, when we have QP modes in it, it should be much better. So I decided to give it a try.

And guess, what happened? Yeah, very first match - Polar Highlands Assault. My 'Mechs weren't brawlers this time, no, nothing to complain about. They all had around 700m of effective range. But this map is simply unplayble. You try to hit somebody, but enemies just stand in a line and shoot at you via ER-PPCs/ER-LLs all at once, like at shooting gallery, and at exact moment, when any enemy player spots you - LRM rain starts from around 4-5 'Mechs at once, that simply one-shots you within split second, even if you try to use cover.

Almost all 'Mechs were lost without doing any significant damage - second was lost without doing any damage at all. Just waste of time. So I even decided to ragequit at that point, but reconnected soon after, cuz one of my 'Mechs had broken loadout and I needed to fix it anyway, but this 'Mech was locked in match.

Result? I will never try to play FP again. NEVER. Thx PGI for great "new player experience". PGI is best at providing worst possible match, as first match of the day or even of whole career, that just instantly drives players away from this game.

So you managed to avoid all the negative terrain cover to break line of sight, wandered into open firing lanes, got nuked because of your failure to utilize the low ground and smart approaches, did the exact same thing four times in a row,and are blaming PGI for poor map design?

I'd get it if you took nothing but brawlers and were complaining about how difficult it can be to use them on that map. It can be a little frustrating. However, Polar is a great map with plenty of cover, if you don't b-line it directly at the enemy. There are low ground paths that let you totally avoid skylining yourself. Even if an enemy got missile lock on you, it isn't like you need to buy a module anymore for radar deprivation, which neuters LRM platforms the moment you break LOS.

I see this complaint a LOT. People whining about perfectly valid maps because they take a shallow approach to movement on the map. For example, people saying Frozen City isn't a map you can brawl in, when all they need to do to brawl there is just stay the hell out of the valley in the center. Change how you consider moving on the map (both that and Polar), and new options open up.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 22 July 2017 - 04:17 AM.

#3 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:25 AM

I play lots of short-range builds, and have never understood the problem with Polar.

~200 games there, I have STILL never seen one that didn't develop into a brawl... sooner or later.

Wait. Don't peek. No problem.

#4 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:39 AM

I absolutely hate Polar Highlands. But I think they should leave it in. Why? Because I'm willing to compromise. I play on maps others like but I hate and they get to play on maps I like but they hate. I don't want them deleting/altering maps because then those that liked the map in it's original form get left out while those that didn't like it get something that's more to their liking.

I want the old maps back. Some people hated the old maps and wanted them gone/changed. Now those of us that liked them can't play them anymore. I'm willing to play on maps that others love but I hate if I can have it the other way too. By all means keep Polar Highlands since some people enjoy it. But PLEASE do not delete or alter in a major way any of the maps currently in game. The next map they delete or alter might just be your favorite. Let's not go there if we don't have to.

PGI PLEASE bring back the classic maps. Pretty please? :)

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:41 AM

Polar is fine. REMOVE ALPINE instead.

#6 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:45 AM

We should have a desert map.
Plain with a single palm tree on the middle for LRM cover.

#7 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:50 AM

Posted Image

#8 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

Lol..... I have no problems with polar highlands. Just 3 words: use high-mounted weapons....

#9 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

View PostLuminis, on 22 July 2017 - 04:50 AM, said:

Posted Image

Yeah. Its quite odd. People whine their faces off for moar mapz! But still want to see maps removed because of their own lack of adaptability with some simple solutions. Regardless if the maps are good or bad, mind you.
Maybe Im crazy but I like to play on Terra Therma and Tourmaline Desert with hot weapons. Why you ask? Because I learn better, try to have the envirnonment forcing me to adapt.

Also random maps would make people adapt to any environment/ maps therefore learning to use any kind of weapons = better, more adaptable players overall.
Sure this map might be the worst you know of. But every now and then you can have this amazing match performance, regardless if your team won or not and take that to heart.
If you can do great on Polar/ Terra for example, map(s) you despise, for that one match. Then theres nothing wrong with the map OR you, but the MM going bonkers with the selection of players. Theres a plethoria of subjective reasons why the maps might give you bad luck most of the time. The times it dosent, try using that experience to improve and adapt overall.

Edited by Tordin, 22 July 2017 - 07:32 AM.

#10 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:33 AM

Good grief !

Dude, PGI is in the process of converting MWO to "nothing but" brawling !!!! Look at the LR nerf's. Look at the huge influx of short range effective weapons. Look at the mobility nerf's to highly agile mechs. Look at the introduction to the first phase of 90+ ton moving forts. etc. etc, etc...

Greeze Marie, if anyone should be complaining it should be the new guys who came into the MWO world looking for combined arms team work. Those days are long gone as PGI de-evolves MWO into a "Rock-and-Sock'em-Robot" mentality to boost micro-sales.

#11 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

Or you could, you know, discover Polar isn't flat. Someone pointed it out and it changed everything for me

#12 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

I despise Polar for a multitude of reasons,just like I hate the new Frozen City.

Both are boring and both have very similar tactics.

#13 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:39 AM

View PostAsym, on 22 July 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

Good grief !

Dude, PGI is in the process of converting MWO to "nothing but" brawling !!!! Look at the LR nerf's. Look at the huge influx of short range effective weapons. Look at the mobility nerf's to highly agile mechs. Look at the introduction to the first phase of 90+ ton moving forts. etc. etc, etc...

Greeze Marie, if anyone should be complaining it should be the new guys who came into the MWO world looking for combined arms team work. Those days are long gone as PGI de-evolves MWO into a "Rock-and-Sock'em-Robot" mentality to boost micro-sales.

Posted Image

#14 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

unfortunately there are random maps...i wish that would be done away with and we can vote on all maps period like it was in MW4:Mercs.

You can never be truly prepared on any map because you have no idea the effective range you will need. If you bring long range weapons to a short range map then you lack firepower. If you bring short range weapons to a long range map you are rarely in range to use your weapons. If you pick a mixture you lack firepower.

I ran a server on MW4 that was a brawler server. In MW4 you can set up a map cycle rotation of any maps you wanted so all of mine were 1200m or less between spawns. You could even pick which spawns were used so I could spawns even closer. You never had to guess what range weapons to take in the server. And, if for some reason players didn't like the map they could vote for other maps - granted that option could be turned off on a server by server basis.

Another positive for MW4 was that you could save multiple variants of a mech so if you saw that a long range map was coming up in the lobby (yes you had a chance to swap out your mechs while waiting) you could grab a long range variant of that mech.

Just some things that I wish were in MWO.

Edited by Coolant, 22 July 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#15 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

You know I play this game almost on a daily basis.
The main problem and I'm sure it the same in quite a few online games.
Is the sheer lack of any kind of critical thinking.
They cross open terrain in slow Assaults.
They find a nice little pocket and stay there and get overrun.
Instead of asking a Light to deal with fast flankers.
They just lumber front the front line to chase a squirrel.
Yeah man it ain't the maps.

#16 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

anyone could say something similar for any map ingame tbh not just this doods issue with polar, after this last disasterpatch i pretty much hate any map that makes my mechs overheat faster, its bad already when i can overheat easily in a clan mech on polar highlands never mind something like caustic valley.

I've overheated and shutdown on a huntsman using 1 laser ams on a freaking freezing cold map using nothing at all but the laser ams shooting down missiles, now thats a pretty funny joke.

#17 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

From what i hear you just dont know how to play. You are saying it is unfair that you face a proper frontline? Well duh, that is called tactics. Ability of your team to bring out as many guns to the enemy mech with minimally exposing themselves, that is how a team wins trades. Also use radar derp, at least 60% is mandatory in this game. 100% is just op for alot of the mechs. (you are not only breaking lrm locks but also enemy's ability to focus fire on you)

#18 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostCoolant, on 22 July 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

unfortunately there are random maps...i wish that would be done away with and we can vote on all maps period like it was in MW4:Mercs.

You can never be truly prepared on any map because you have no idea the effective range you will need. If you bring long range weapons to a short range map then you lack firepower. If you bring short range weapons to a long range map you are rarely in range to use your weapons. If you pick a mixture you lack firepower.

I ran a server on MW4 that was a brawler server. In MW4 you can set up a map cycle rotation of any maps you wanted so all of mine were 1200m or less between spawns. You could even pick which spawns were used so I could spawns even closer. You never had to guess what range weapons to take in the server. And, if for some reason players didn't like the map they could vote for other maps - granted that option could be turned off on a server by server basis.

Another positive for MW4 was that you could save multiple variants of a mech so if you saw that a long range map was coming up in the lobby (yes you had a chance to swap out your mechs while waiting) you could grab a long range variant of that mech.

Just some things that I wish were in MWO.

Loadout saving would be so much better in MWO.

There's plenty of mechs I could think of many loadouts for many maps. But I have to use one mech,one loadout.

Why not have a ticket battle with respawns? That would be cool.

#19 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

I got some nice ******** few days ago when i got narced when i dropped out dropship and kept like that for nearly 2 minutes somehow without any enemy in sight.

I somehow survived rain from 5 lurmers and scored 900 dmg with 2 atm12.

#20 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

Delete yourself from the game instead. L2P GG close.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users