#1 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

Hello all,

I have the Blackjack hero, the BJ-A 'Arrow' but could never do well with it. Enter the new tech and I've found a build that gets me pretty good results. You have to move around a lot but it's really fun at close range.

You can drop a heat sink and/or mg ammo/engine size to std225 if you want to take ams.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...002dcdf152a8aa2

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 24 July 2017 - 08:47 AM.

#2 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

I was just about to post a similar query. I also had the toughest time with the Arrow vs. the other BJ's, thanks for sharing the build. I'm trying to get my BJ's sorted out with the new tech too.

Here are the Arrow builds I was looking at:

LT235, 2xSNPPC, 6xLMG, 3xJJ
LT235, 1xSNPPC, 2xMPL, 6xLMG, AMS, 3xJJ
LT235, 3xERLL, 6xLMG, 2xJJ
LT235, 2xERLL, 1xMPL, 6xLMG, 3xJJ
LT235, 2xLL, 1xMPL, 6xLMG, 3xJJ
LT235, 2xLPL, 6xLMG, 1xJJ
LT235, 3xERML, 6xHMG, AMS, 4xJJ
LT235, 3xMPL, 6xHMG, AMS, 2xJJ

Smurfy nerdin' it up!

The Blackjack is a fragile little thing. I think what makes the Arrow so hard to use is that for the MG's to be effective you need to be close and components need to be already opened up, and the BJ can't survive being close for very long, and the three energy hardpoints lack the beef for you to quickly open up components on your own. The BJ-A also isn't very fast, so you have to hang out with the assaults/heavies/slow mediums rather than joining the wolf pack with the fast lights and mediums, so your targets are invariably bigger and better armed then you, and lights are trouble too because they are usually faster and also generally have more firepower than you. So you've got a tough road to hoe in the Arrow.

I'm thinking I am going to test out the 2xERLL, 1xMPL, 6xLMG build first. You can be a relevant poker/harasser with the ERLL's, with the MPL and LMG's for the later game when moving in on something.

Otherwise the 2xSNPPC, 6xLMG's also looks interesting, but I'm no good at pop tarting. Somebody could probably make it viable.

Edited by ShooterMcGavin80, 24 July 2017 - 05:32 PM.

#3 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:40 PM

6xHMG + 2xSNPPC

I have a very poor opinion of LMGs, since they do only 0.7 DPS. MGs were trash with 0.9 DPS; a little extra range is not going to make LMGs enough better to make them worth the same tonnage (especially since they do still have a CoF). HMGs may be limited to slappyfight range, but at least they hurt.

I don't plan to use the SNPPCs for poptarting; their range is too short for that. The Arrow is a vulture. The SNPPCs offer a few good hard punches to open up a location that's already been damaged... you don't need the heat capacity to sustain fire, because once you get something open or close the range you can just let go with the HMGs to finish. It seems like the perfect combination on paper... a high burst PPFLD weapon to target and open a single key location, then a heatless, high-RoF, crit-boosted weapon to chew through structure.

#4 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 24 July 2017 - 08:40 PM, said:

6xHMG + 2xSNPPC

... The Arrow is a vulture....

The Arrow is indeed a vulture; if your team is getting stomped you might not do too well in it since you have to wait until components are open before doing your max damage but with a large enough engine and preferably speed tweak nodes unlocked, you can scoot around and chip away with the erML's early-ish game.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#5 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

I like it.

Since the 3xERML is a relatively cool build, why not throw some laser AMS on there? That way you add some potential usefulness to your teammates.

Jumpier version with laser AMS:

STD235, 3xERML, 6xHMG, LAMS, 4xJJ

Options are to trade LAMS for standard AMS + 1 ton ammo, and 1-2 JJ's for additional HMG ammo as desired.

And I think I may be sold on the standard engine. Losing a side torso won't cripple your speed or heat management and you'll still have a little more than half your firepower. On my list to give a whirl...

#6 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

While I've yet to drop in my Arrow (so many new mech builds to try so little time, and the hero mech sale hasn't helped) I think tweaking a previous good build to add new tech should work nicely: LB10X ARROW. Stay healthy in the first half of the match and you'll be a beastly 'Crit-asaurus Rex' for the second half. There's also the RAC5 version for some rotary goodness.

In my opinion the doubling of the MGs range makes the LMG well worth the 30% damage reduction, though in a more 'intimate' encounter (brawling or dropping in a scouting match) I would take the MGs or find the extra weight for HMGs. Problem is that while back in the day I loved brawling with my AC20 BJ-1, today the Blackjack chassis is a bit too squishy to brawl, especially against a heavier mech. I find trying for 200-300m skirmishes works well and the LMG allows the Arrow to do decent extra damage without closing to brawl.

Another build that I've yet to try but 'should' be decent based on the numbers is this HPPC ARROW. Use the HPPC to do damage at a distance, then when the battle gets within 250m switch to the MLs and LMGs, adding a PPC shot if you're cold enough. For this build I do have a HMG version who's low heat 10.56dps inside 80m should really discourage the enemy from getting inside the HPPC's 90m minimum range.

#7 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

I'm considering LFE235, light ferror armor (max, -1 point on the head), 1xLPL CT, 2xERML in the side torsos, 6xMG in the arms, 4T ammo, 4xJJ, 2xDHS. Maybe trade a ton of ammo for a targeting computer.

I have been running an XL235, std armor (max, -2 points on the head), 1xLPL, 2xMPL, 6xMG, 3.5T ammo, 4xJJ, 3xDHS and have done pretty well in it; but being able to lose a side torso would probably help, as it is a bit squishy.

#8 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:09 AM

View PostRuccus, on 25 July 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Another build that I've yet to try but 'should' be decent based on the numbers is this HPPC ARROW. Use the HPPC to do damage at a distance, then when the battle gets within 250m switch to the MLs and LMGs, adding a PPC shot if you're cold enough. For this build I do have a HMG version who's low heat 10.56dps inside 80m should really discourage the enemy from getting inside the HPPC's 90m minimum range.

Had my ARROW packing 3 LPPC instead a single HPPC, If I run hot, I have the option to chain fire to manage heat.
6x HMG
3x LPPC
4x JJ to poptart
LTE 225

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users