• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

View PostMystere, on 25 July 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

Your simple implicit threat with physical violence leads to the assumption, that you aren't capable of grasping my brilliant, never before occurring idea of balance. Shame on you for discarding such an novelty idea.

Kek

#103 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:10 PM

View Postkesmai, on 25 July 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

Your simple implicit threat with physical violence leads to the assumption, that you aren't capable of grasping my brilliant, never before occurring idea of balance. Shame on you for discarding such an "novelty" idea.

Kek

FTFY. Posted Image

#104 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:09 AM

"Don't camp in a place!"
gets striked while pushing

"Dodge strikes!"
disengages from enemy and runs away

repeat

Honestly, there are just too many strikes and they destroy the flow of a match more than anything else...except extreme range sniping trades.

I'm also for a reduction to 1 strike per mech.
Or the reduction of the skill tree bonuses to strikes.

Or:
- implement a consumable anit-air-turret which shoots down the incomming fighters, preventing an airstrike
- red smoke makes no sense for an arty strike; make arty strikes require a mech to mark the spot with a TAG laser for a few seconds instead

More consumables:
- stationary seismic sensor (is dropped on the ground) similar to UAV, but just gives seismic signals and no targets
- stationary ECM probe, providing ECM cover but with a greater range than the mech version
- call MFB (mobile field base), providing limited repairs and filling up ammo; mech needs to shut down while repair/refill is in progress

#105 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostMystere, on 25 July 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

Sigh! Are you telling everyone here that you wrote that post and did not even know that there is a universal cooldown for the whole team?

<smh>
<smh again>
<smh really hard>

Sigh! No one can have 3 strikes!

That's why this whole thread bothers me so much. All these people complaining about things and grossly over exaggerating or flat out making **** up.

20 strikes in 1 minute is flatly impossible,but Davoodoo is sticking by that. People suggest things in play already to "fix" the "problem"...

Hell, the whole "problem"!

"We have too many air strikes and should have Arrow IV or Thunder LRM's instead" - it's functionally the same thing in practice,but with a (tiny) bit of rearm costs.

I'd rather get hit by an arty shell than eat an aimed alpha any day.

Mind you, it's not such a problem for me as I do t bottle up and provide a good target to eat strikes.

But our player base can never accept "be less bad" as a solution to their woes, because they can't ever admit they just did something dumb.

#106 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

View PostRoadbuster, on 26 July 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

"Don't camp in a place!"
gets striked while pushing
If pushing, and the place the strike in front of you, wait a couple seconds or go around. If they put it on top of you,keep pushing and it'll miss you.

"Dodge strikes!"
disengages from enemy and runs away
... Or close with him. Or move laterally.

MOVE. just keep moving all the time, and strikes matter way less... And you'll win more even without strikes as the longer you stay in place the more the mobile team will get a positional advantage. Camping is bad mmkay.

#107 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

The truth as I see it are that strikes only affect those who:

Fail to see the smoke and are fast enough to get away if they did.
See the smoke but are too slow to get away because they went maximum alpha and minimum engine.
Purposely walk herp-a-derp single file through a choke point.
Stand in a big ball in an open area and don't move.
Snipe from the same position over, and over, and over and over.
Play Turret warrior in well-know turret-warrior locations.
Stand out in a big exposed area so they can get off clean shots with their "LURMZ!"

... is this an 'strike problem or a maximum potato problem?

#108 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

"Throw money at the problem" on display really. 40+k c bills for a "gtfo of that open topped space" strike isn't too bad. I understand the aggravation of endless ones, been there done that. Especially if you're in a slow assault mech they can be used tactically to end a clustered assault lance or blind them momentarily.

Obviously I don't dislike them. At the same time... I just don't like the fact they're spammed so much. More consumeables seems like a cool idea but things like drop seisemic etc: are ... just no. Don't do that. I'd go into a long rant about it but when it comes to detection / overwatch, leave that **** to people.

The problem in my mind with the consumeables (all of them) is that there's very little opportunity costs involved in operating them. I'm not saying MC wall them. But you really should have to do SOMETHING to run the offensive ones more than just, pop up "magic" a red smoke thing somewhere and have that **** just drop in like the fist of an angry god.

Things like the drop sensor, drop ecm, and other such "deployables" might be in the lore (i don't know) but for a game like this, as it is currently, would end up causing even more problems.

#109 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:31 AM

FW - often 24 strikes dropped before the enemy even comes in the gate. It's added a lot of standoff time.

I get that PGI likes the cbill sinks but 1 per mech is plenty.

#110 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 July 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

FW - often 24 strikes dropped before the enemy even comes in the gate. It's added a lot of standoff time.

Who'd ever thought armies would be using skrimshers, archers, ballistas, trebuchets, cannons, and bombs to soften the enemy before even engaging head-to-head? Posted Image

#111 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

View PostMystere, on 26 July 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

Who'd ever thought armies would be using skrimshers, archers, ballistas, trebuchets, cannons, and bombs to soften the enemy before even engaging head-to-head? Posted Image

I am not sure I can useful spend all the cbills and MC I have stockpiled. I can (and often do) 480k in consumables in one match. Do you understand what a massive advantage that is over someone who can't?

Nobody has beaten KCom by spamming consumables. I'm absolutely NOT on the "losing end" of this equation. Tnt doesn't mean I don't recognize it as a problem.

#112 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

View PostMystere, on 26 July 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

Skirmishers yes, archers yes.

ballistas were mostly defensive as no army will drag this heavy **** behind them and building on the spot is luxury very rarely afforded during war.
trebuchets were built on the spot which required prolonged sieges and was required to soften walls before assault.
cannons were mostly used in open field battles as they did terribly bad against actual walls, there are some exceptions in late medieval times with really oversized cannons.
Bombs?? thing which you need to basically plant under enemy without covert action?? i guess you could blow the gate but inficting actual casualties with it??

So yeah, ppl used skirmishers and archers(which acted as skirmishers) proper artillery is invention of 20th century which proven pretty ineffective against dug in defenders...

Edited by davoodoo, 26 July 2017 - 10:14 AM.

#113 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

View Postkesmai, on 25 July 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

Your simple implicit threat with physical violence leads to the assumption, that you aren't capable of...

Posted Image

#114 Simulacrum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

View PostKhobai, on 25 July 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

it would be cool if the game had strategic assets that company/lance commanders could deploy

like you start out with X points that you could spend on strategic assets..

That would be great. And you need a Light 'Mech to target a Strike point and a commander to order its drop.
Then you'll give Assaults a damage reduction of 0.5 (or up to 2 with Skill Tree nodes) and you've two 'Mech classes with real special roles. I'm sure there would be a way to treat Mediums and Heavies similar.

Edited by Simulacrum, 26 July 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#115 Starwulfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

It used to be someone would yell 'smoke' and I would ignore it.
Unless you were already the walking dead, they didn't do enough damage to be relevant.
They do enough damage to matter now, are worth watching for and avoiding.
Finally worth mounting on a mech.

#116 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 July 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

I get that PGI likes the cbill sinks but 1 per mech is plenty.

Maybe 1 per QP and 1 per mech in FP would be fair. Alternatively the idea to have other options that appeal is cool but seems like a much more difficult route.

#117 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

the only thing about them that really annoys me is that, as a new player, I can't afford to use my EXP. I can't afford the engine I need for a better build. I can't afford those UACs that would be a huge improvement for me. And these guys are dropping almost as much as you make in a loss on consumables to nuke me

Edited by InfinityBall, 27 July 2017 - 12:22 PM.

#118 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:47 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 26 July 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

Maybe 1 per QP and 1 per mech in FP would be fair. Alternatively the idea to have other options that appeal is cool but seems like a much more difficult route.

I will say this again: smoke shells for long-lasting cover or blinding.

#119 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

I still think that it's cheesy to have an ability that directly damages enemies that does not have any kind of tonnage or critical slot opportunity cost. There is effectively no "risk" to using them unless you're a space poor low on C-Bills.

I'd much rather have consumables be equipable items that take up weight and slots so you have to actually pay for that power. Coolant Pods replace cool shot, Artillery Beacon from MW4 replaces arty/airstrike, and I guess make up some kind of UAV launcher.

#120 Rothgar57

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

This arty strike spam really f&(*& sucks. Its making the group drops unplayable. Sink drops anyone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users