• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNear Dallas, TX

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

Click bait title (a little bit)

but heres how I woulda set up a hype tournament

Step 1 Monitor player leagues and ques, determine top 8-16 teams.

Step 2 Talk with top league and competitive team leaders and make sure list from step 1 is complete as possible.

Step 3. Invite said teams to the PGI World Invitational to be played as follows:

Step 4: have a set of hours set aside on a Saturday of PGI's choice where teams play a huge pool of round robins, each team plays every other team at max best of 5.

Step 5: determine the 4-8 top scoring teams from this round robin to play in a double elimination bracket on Sunday.

Step 6: awards

Step 7: convince players to be active and good in other player leagues and events, etc, to ensure even better participation next time

all this can be done online or in person. Would be cool to have this happen like once every two months online and once a year in person.

thoughts? Ideas? "Gut is an idiot"s?

#2 Daidachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 461 posts
  • LocationThe Andromeda Initiative

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

Your logic clearly has no place on this ocean, sir.

#3 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

Step 1 - Would still need some wild cards.

Step 5 - would have to be on a sat _ timezone and all.

MRBC is great, but it does not show a list of the best 12 teams in MWO. ( due to the way its set up)

#4 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

Must Not Moderate.....

Title is clickbait.....

Want to troll with other players......

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:28 AM

ok I clicked now what

#6 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

View Postlive1991, on 24 July 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Step 1 - Would still need some wild cards.

Step 5 - would have to be on a sat _ timezone and all.

MRBC is great, but it does not show a list of the best 12 teams in MWO. ( due to the way its set up)

I mean I could give you a list of what I think the best teams are but if you combine in game statistics from group queue + league wins + general knowledge (I.e. Obvious choices like emp 1 and 2, who didn't play last mrbc), I think it is at the very least possible to get a reasonable number of teams involved every two months. I think the least realistic amount of teams to do for s big event like this would be 8 for first day and then 4 for second day.

Saturday + Sunday because of the time zone thing as well as people having to work on Friday, obviously.

Its funny, I don't know the normal amount of support for something on the forums but the fact that this doesn't have much criticism bodes well maybe.

#7 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

I would like to see the top 8 teams bypass the grind and get into the finals.

Then have a open stage, any teams can enter.

All participants will be split up into groups of 6, so we will have 5 games and playoffs after that. We try to seed the groups country-wise, The best team of each group advance to the preliminary.
Ranking is determined by wins, kills difference and if necessary direct comparison.

There will be one match per week. If you and your opponent find a date on your own that is great.
However, we will have a default matchday

Open would last 5 weeks then a 2/3/4 week break, Preliminary finals would then weed down the last teams and the top 4 will go though to the semis with the other top 8.

Then have 2 Double Elimination – Six (6) Teams and the top 2 of each event goes to finals.

Edited by live1991, 26 July 2017 - 06:42 PM.

#8 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:51 PM

View Postlive1991, on 26 July 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

I would like to see the top 8 teams bypass the grind and get into the finals.

Then have a open stage, any teams can enter.

All participants will be split up into groups of 6, so we will have 5 games and playoffs after that. We try to seed the groups country-wise, The best team of each group advance to the preliminary.
Ranking is determined by wins, kills difference and if necessary direct comparison.

There will be one match per week. If you and your opponent find a date on your own that is great.
However, we will have a default matchday

Open would last 5 weeks then a 2/3/4 week break, Preliminary finals would then weed down the last teams and the top 4 will go though to the semis with the other top 8.

Then have 2 Double Elimination – Six (6) Teams and the top 2 of each event goes to finals.

1. What grind is there to avoid? It's an invitational event, not a league.

2. What your are suggesting is a PGI run league, that is not my intention with this post.

3. Maybe you're confused about how I'm suggesting they get information, I was thinking of pulling from things like player leagues, NBT, MRBC, etc. Combined with group queue stats and league and team administrators, there should be a relative consensus on the top 8-16 teams with only disagreement on the bottom third.

4. The one suggestion I liked was have an open Invitational for any team in general running at the same time.

#9 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

Yeah sorry, misunderstood, But I don't think the WC should be Invite only.

Edited by live1991, 26 July 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#10 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

View Postlive1991, on 26 July 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

Yeah sorry, misunderstood, But I don't think the WC should be Invite only.

Sure, but if you have it as it is or as it was last year, they're extremely hands off and leave it to the players in a bad way, and when they do it themselves, it's not been great at all.

This fixes potential issues up front. There's a few more engagement rules that need to be set up obviously, but it's simple enough to ACTUALLY WORK and not be required to devote months of time in quite the same way.

I'm a firm believer that teams should be playing in competitive or semi competitive leagues on a regular basis though. If you think you have a hot shot team and you're not doing it, with the exception of EmP, who scrims themselves out of leagues to stay sharp, there's literally no reason to invite you to something like this. Not saying this of you or your team in general, just all teams in general. That or in the queues you're actually defeating teams that do play in leagues regularly.

Edited by Gut, 05 August 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#11 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

You need 3 things to make league/pro e-sports work from a mechanics perspective (beyond being engaging to watch obviously).

1. An active multi-tier rotating league system that always has matches going. Each tier may only be active for, say, 4 months but there needs to always be games going.

2. A method of progression from scrub nub to comp play. This requires a method of both teaching new players the right skills and putting them i to matches and contact with existing comp players. The current method of "I know a guy" keeps league play insular.

3. Anti-League play to engage everyone. As in events and contests that pit league players vs non-league players. This engages the whole community in league play (or the concept of it) and gives people interaction with league play style and players, which currently we don't have. A great example would be a 3 month long "king of the hill" tournament where the top league teams play in an open queue vs non-league precedes. The league teams are scored vs each other based on how few points they gave up, attacking teams on how many points they made. Round Robin or brackets to see what league team gives up the fewest points and what non-league team makes the most. A good way for people on both sides of the "comp divide" to interact and league teams to scout talent.

#12 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

See, I'm not even suggesting something as ambitious as that.

I'm suggesting a relatively simple fix to what we have now, something much more easy to organize, and vastly more hype potential compared to what we have now.

#13 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

View PostGut, on 05 August 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

See, I'm not even suggesting something as ambitious as that.

I'm suggesting a relatively simple fix to what we have now, something much more easy to organize, and vastly more hype potential compared to what we have now.

What you're suggesting is a great idea but it's not going to make esports in MWO into anything. Without other things to involve more players it's even more insular than the current system.

Without a system in place to get more players involved in and interacting with league play you're never going to grow it. Right now it's even less players than FW and that's pretty niche.

MWO has great potential. Better to watch matches than Overwatch. Without the league population depth though it won't get anywhere. You want a sponsored team you need a bench 3 rows deep and several top teams that are competitive. You need a deep population to build that. You need a lot of player engagement to drive excitement.

You also need to spend a little $ to get features on some big twitch streams and mentioned on a few semi-famous Twitter and Pinterest accounts.

The idea is great - an invitational makes for an exclusive event to aspire to. However you need a healthy league environment to support it.

#14 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

MRBC seems to be growing every season. There's what like 5 divisions of at least 5 teams each, and that's just NA? NBT is starting, though I'm not sure if SJR is going to do it or not. Star League, RHOD, etc, in the past. Part of the problem is PGI is almost doing a league system that is WORSE THAN WHAT THE PLAYERS WERE DOING IN LEAGUES in it's implementation, and I'm giving them a tournament system that would actually work much better than what they're doing now.

There's plenty of teams to do an invitational event.

What you're asking for is beyond the scope of what I'm asking for.

You're not wrong, but a few things:

1. Screw FW. No one plays that because of the implementation. The implementation of this invitational is already in place if they follow those steps. Also no real worthwhile prizes or awards.

2. They need moving and timed target solo drop system for people to be able to get better at, and they need to encourage more people to actually join teams rather than play solo.

3. They need to actually get new players into the game. They've squeezed nostalgia for over 4 years now and I've been tired of it for 4 years.

4. Get people onto teams. Give a +50% bonus for playing with at least 3 other players in group queue instead of solo queue. Get more people playing group tactics instead of holding back and lrming all the time.

Yes, there's a ton they can do to fix crap.

But this is something they can literally do without too much effort that would be a far better system than their current world championship system.

#15 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

The biggest problem with PGI with the MWO WC is they are too hands off, they need to be more hands on and build there brand.

Dirty bomb which has the same or lower pop numbers know how to sell there game.

Things I would change to make the game better with little to no effort.

1) Have a hands on CM that is active with the community not just in the safe place of MWO lands ( twitch/website)
2) Have a 10% bonus for playing with a mate; 20% bonus for playing with 4; 30% bonus for playing with 6 or more.
3) Unless its for seeding have ranked mode 6v6 and open to solo and groups ( reward groups with bonus Cbills/exp) have season rewards and a real ranking system.
4) Move Group Q to 8v8

Or another way which might not work.
Have ranked mode at 8v8 open to solo and groups; combined solo and group Q into one but limit groups size to 4.

Edited by live1991, 07 August 2017 - 09:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users