• Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:53 AM

I was wondering on how are the new players dealing with all the changes to the weapons and skill tree?
1)Do you find the skill tree way to complicated?
2)Does the game put you in the mode of Battletech or just another First person shooter?
3)Is it almost impossible to get c-bills toskill your mech while also trying to purchase new weapons?
4)How is the community in whole?

Just wondering these as no one really talks about these subjects.. Thanks

New players only not vets to answer these questions

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:56 AM

Can only talk for the 2 or 3 newbys in my unit and they adapt faster to the changes then the oldsters since they aren't as attached to the old stuff.

#3 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:19 AM

I would also say that if you are new to the game, there is no such thing as "new" additions. everything is new, or nothing is, however you want to look at it.

But you can ignore this vet =p

#4 Roving Gun

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:36 AM

I'm still new but here are my rookie opinions.

1. Skill tree - it is a bit overwhelming at first but i like the system. Feels like i am slowly getting better with the mech and making small changes to it's systems. I think it allows more variety of builds then the old module system. I can add smaller chunks and min max what i like as opposed to just an all or nothing module.
2. This is not another first person shooter. The required team work and cautious/smart play really makes this game stand out to me and i'm loving it. Team work and positioning is key and i like that.
3 cbills...not a problem. Of course i want more and all the toys and skills but it comes in at a decent rate if you understand the points I mentioned in number 2. I think premium time is decently priced and a great boost should you choose it.
4. Community is a bit whiny but friendly. I've only heard one bad interaction in my games and most players seem patient compared to other games i played. I'm looking forward to getting in a unit to get a little deeper into the community.

Overall i am enjoying the fights and the customization options. I think this is a great game and i'm in for the long run. See you on the battlefield.

Edited by Roving Gun, 25 July 2017 - 04:54 AM.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

View PostOldbob10025, on 25 July 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

I was wondering on how are the new players dealing with all the changes to the weapons and skill tree? 1)Do you find the skill tree way to complicated? 2)Does the game put you in the mode of Battletech or just another First person shooter? 3)Is it almost impossible to get c-bills toskill your mech while also trying to purchase new weapons? 4)How is the community in whole? Just wondering these as no one really talks about these subjects.. Thanks New players only not vets to answer these questions

would you consider rephrasing the questions to make them less biased?

I was wondering on how are the new players dealing with all the changes to the weapons and skill tree?

prehaps reword to how complecated to you find the new skill tree,
a) simple, B) about right, c) too complex, D) way too complex

2)Does the game put you in the mode of Battletech or just another First person shooter?

if you have prior experiance of Battletech, do you feel MWO represents Battletech well, or does it feel more like a generic First persion shooter

3)Is it almost impossible to get c-bills toskill your mech while also trying to purchase new weapons?

how hard is it to get cbills to skill your Mechs while also outfitting and purchasing new Mechs with 1 being realy easy and 5 being near impossible

the only real unbiased question, but still could be better worded as something to the effect of "how helpfull and welcoming do you find the comunity as a whole"

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 25 July 2017 - 05:51 AM.

#6 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

no man, he isn't interested in us vets =p

#7 Soleran

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:01 AM

So far after about a month and 5-6 hours of youtube videos(Plus about 75$ as a new player) its not great fun.

We all know the learning curve is high but the matchups in pugs are pretty terrible. When you are a brand new player that gets thrown in with tier 3 players you get wrecked.

We'll see how it progresses but for a shooter game it has high cost in time and $ to be effective. The game needs to extend the learning curve to make it more competitive (ie the ranking system.)

#8 Dragonscar

• PipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 24 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

View PostSoleran, on 25 July 2017 - 07:01 AM, said:

So far after about a month and 5-6 hours of youtube videos(Plus about 75$ as a new player) its not great fun.

We all know the learning curve is high but the matchups in pugs are pretty terrible. When you are a brand new player that gets thrown in with tier 3 players you get wrecked.

We'll see how it progresses but for a shooter game it has high cost in time and $ to be effective. The game needs to extend the learning curve to make it more competitive (ie the ranking system.)

I agree that is is disheartening right now, my current ratio if 7 kills to 99 deaths...I have won a little over half my matches but that is because my team did it

I bought the Mac Cat package because I love the look of it and I am, trying to come up with a build that works for me between all the different ones, have not gotten there yet

I have another pre-order coming in Oct if I do not cancel it by then, I wile see how the next month or so goes

#9 Droopy21

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

No - once i figured out how to convert XP into SP i was off and running quickly. It helps to plan out what you want ahead of time. I do not like that you cannot get SP back to unlock new skills when you respec though.

For example: I unlocked lots of stuff in the sensor tree first off because i was always running into groups of mechs and getting stomped. This provided little benefit until i improved my situational awareness and now i rarely unlock anything in that tree, but i cant use that SP to unlock nodes in the other trees now when i respec.

The map choice and game mode are basically call of duty with mechs.

The game itself I feel is a clone of World of Tanks at this point and not really a "Battletech" game per se. It is very Grindy and the pub queue might as well be shared between both games. It is also very like WOT in that you must peek shoot and hide so matches play like sniping games until someone gets tired of that then decides to push or just stands still until the other team pushes.

It boils down to randomly getting a group who can work together or a group that lone wolfs and/or is disorganized and gets stomped. The game mode variety just adds to the problem because some of the players play the game mode that is selected and some play every map like a skirmish.

I think that the tutorial should include some basic tactic drills so that people are familiar with scout, defense, flanking moves, etc. Basically the cartoon tactic sticky from the beginners forum in the academy part of the game.

The initial income is good, but after the 25 cadet matches drops off sharply. I feel you have to research each mech extensively before buying one and will not always make a good choice due to the game meta. Then once you try some different configurations you have already invested a large amount into a config that is not going to do much for you. You can only make this mistake 2 times i would say before you are out most of you starting money. I know the reason the game is like this (to get us to spend money), but i feel it is a barrier to new players. I also did not see this explained anywhere except on the forums.

So far i have not encountered any problems and feel that in most of the matches people are decent and just trying to get by and not getting too upset about anything.

Edited by Droopy21, 27 July 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#10 Its my first day

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

I came off my cadet missions right around Easter, so I dont know if that makes me new enough, but I really liked the skill tree.

2- Its a fps that you dont have to be super twitchy with, and you get to mess with building your stuff. I liked some of the earlier mechwarrior games, I think this is closer to a sci fi tank game to me.

3 I bought some premium time and take advantage of sales, I've got more mechs than I know what to do with- literally- because I don't know what to do with the IS mechs I have. Skilling has been no problem, I like it, gives me a reason to play mechs.

4 Seems fine

EDIT-actually, they're fine in game, but they seem to complain a lot about stuff here and on the reddit forums.

Edited by Its my first day, 27 July 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#11 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:20 AM

1, Not complicated once you understand it.. Tons of threads about starter guides and simple builds that can work on any mech.

2, of course it's BT, I don't play any other shooter because i find them a total bore.

3, My alt account has no GSP, so and i have been leveling mechs and paying as i go.. When compared to this account which i played about the same amount of matches for a month because of an event i have the data to support that. My alt account that i played in mechs i am not as good in, and payed to level i made about 30m profit. This account playing the about the same number of matches, and only dropped in mechs that also had a +c-bill bonus on top of it, and i played them at a higher level i made about 50m.

that means i was gaining +30% c-bills per match, and not paying to level, was a gain, but i still could of bought a couple mechs on the alt account that paid to level.. 4 mechs total, and a bunch of partial mechs. It's 4m per mech on average to level, You earn more even with out Premium.

4, Typically friendly, but its an online game, and there will always be trolls. Typically you might have one or two a night if you play for a long stretch, other wise its not bad. Besides there are lots of good groups to join, and the forums are very helpful, as long as you stay away from the general which can be a trollfest from time to time. Posted Image

*edit, Not a new player, kinda missed that part.. whoops.. But i do have a newer ALT account.. Thought it was more of an info thing.. But i'll still leave the post..

Edited by JC Daxion, 30 July 2017 - 05:56 PM.

#12 Serpentine Shel Serpentine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

Hello: I have been playing since March 2017 and I am halfway through Tier 4. TL/DR version is I am happy with the new skill system and the new Civil War tech and mechs, but it is more difficult for new players to take advantage of the transition for lack of CB and legacy GXP.

I was not too much invested in the old skill system by the time the new one came around so I did not receive a large number of legacy skill points in the transition as more experienced players did. Also, PGI grandfathered the refund rules such that modules purchased after a certain date in early 2017 (all of my modules) were refunded for C-Bills ONLY - not GXP which earlier purchased modules received in generous amounts. Being a newbie also means I did not have a C-bill war-chest accumulated. This all reinforced the existing advantages for more experienced players -- much of which has to be expected. I didn't understand why PGI chose to disadvantage newer players by grandfathering the module refund as they did (they said it was because of an announcement at MechCon that modules would be refunded for C-bills, although that could have been reversed by an announcement).

The civil war changeover made C-bills more important because you need them to take advantage of the new tech, most of which wasn't included in the mech packages that were sold for civil war. For example, the most important and expensive new tech -- light engines for IS -- were not included in any mechs that I purchased for civil war, so far as I can tell, these cost about C4 million each. I must confess to thelow expedient buying C-bills with MC to get these engines (and some other civil war goodies, but mainly engines) -- mainly during the current sale, although C-bills can be earned it takes more than a few matches to earn enough for a light engine, plus the new weaponry, if you want that even just to try out.

Also, you need the c-bills to skill up the new mechs if you want to take advantage of those, if as a new player you don't have legacy GXP left-over.Since the skill tree/civil war changeover PGI has had several events making it easier to accumulate XP or buy C-Bills, and that helps a lot. But overall taking advantgage of the Civil War tech has been a challenge. It also requires a game play adjustment that I haven't yet made such that my stats (k/D and W/L ration) have plummeted and my Tier progression has slowed substantially.

Im curious whether anyone else has found their stats taking a dive in the new environment?

But all the new stuff does keep the game interesting!

Edited by Serpentine Shel Serpentine, 31 July 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#13 TheDanish

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:53 AM

Started this week. I've been playing for 5 days.

1) Not at all. When so first started playing I thought the old system was still in place, requiring you to buy three variants of the same
chassis or some such. That was very confusing. I understood the new skill system in a few minutes.

2) Definitely not the average shooter. I like the slower and methodical pace. Most matches do boil down to snipe -> assault -> cleanup but the maps are different enough to change things up a bit.

3) C-bill grinding is pretty slow. I do feel it is necessary to extensively research weapons, builds, and mechs before I make any purchase, but I don't mind that too much. I feel like 25% or 50% more c-bills per match would be a good pace.

4) Community is fine. At worst no one communicates. I've run across maybe one teamkilling troll.

#14 whatthecrapisthis

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Game sucks that's why I many many many others don't play. Hands down game sucks.

#15 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

View Postwhatthecrapisthis, on 05 August 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

Game sucks that's why I many many many others don't play. Hands down game sucks.

If it's crap, and you don't play, then why are you here posting on the forums?

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 05 August 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

If it's crap, and you don't play, then why are you here posting on the forums?

Agreed , someone who has been a member since April 2016 and has not yet finished the 25 "recruit" games (still has the blue "recruit" colour on his name) still checking the forums, that does look a bit suspicous, I am guessing a "new player" alt of a disilusioned experianced player

#17 Serpentine Shel Serpentine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

I can't comprehend why someone who doesn't like the game would post here ... if you don't like it just move on. This forum is to help new players not discourage them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users