Change From Target Spotted, To Target "phonetic Letter"

19 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:55 AM

This one has been bugging me for a while. The whole Call target issue that plagues the PUG's. People that turn off chat because they don't want to listen to people, but then complain about lack of teamwork.

Language barrier is another reason why perhaps some don't use chat. So why not make the command wheel function as a called target.. OR add the Called target option.

So instead of just "target spotted" We would get, "Target Alpha" We know that the mech selected is alpha, and might help people under stand the whole focus target thing a bit more.

Yes, i realize it is a bit more work for adding voice, you would need to get the person to do the alphabet. But i also think it would be a good thing over all as it could teach folks the Phonetic Alphabet which could help newer players that might not know it all by heart.

Just adding a little more polish the the command wheel.

PS while they are at it, can you please add "HOT KEY" functions for them as well. Thanks! :)

PPS, Does the dialog have unique language settings? AKA french, Spanish, German, Russian, ect? If so this could add a little more cost, But at the same time, maybe it could help us learn another language. I know i often hear people with heavy accents, and it would be nice to be able to hear what the other languages are, so i could flip over and know what they are actually saying. In would work both ways too, people of other languages, can start to learn what the English should be. Over all i think this could really help with the communication barrier.

#2 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:08 AM

Wait does bitchin betty speak in French if I put my language settings to French?

I would assume not, but that's pretty cool if so... For language settings I would think the text indicators that come up are more importantly translated.

But yeah for the idea sure, I second that.

#3 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:23 AM

Oooooooh, this is a fantastic idea!

+1

In my heart of hearts, i'd also like the target spotted call you make from the wheel have a second option that appears once full target information has loaded - that provides damage information if it's significant.

"Target Echo spotted"
Would become
"Target Echo, open CT"
or
"Target Echo, open LT"

Sure, you can just SAY it if you have a mic, but who wants to actually *talk* to people? Not Kiiyor.

#4 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:07 AM

I wouldn't mind hearing more of sidestrafe's voice, he did a good job.

#5 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:13 AM

Good idea!

#6 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:30 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 25 July 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

Oooooooh, this is a fantastic idea!

+1

In my heart of hearts, i'd also like the target spotted call you make from the wheel have a second option that appears once full target information has loaded - that provides damage information if it's significant.

"Target Echo spotted"
Would become
"Target Echo, open CT"
or
"Target Echo, open LT"

Sure, you can just SAY it if you have a mic, but who wants to actually *talk* to people? Not Kiiyor.

This is something like 90% of the reason I play with a mic in (the other 10% is trying to coax pubs into PTFOing), and I think it's still easier to do with a well-placed mic hotkey than that command wheel, but I really want to see something like this in place as well.

#7 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 25 July 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

This one has been bugging me for a while. The whole Call target issue that plagues the PUG's. People that turn off chat because they don't want to listen to people, but then complain about lack of teamwork.

Language barrier is another reason why perhaps some don't use chat. So why not make the command wheel function as a called target.. OR add the Called target option.

So instead of just "target spotted" We would get, "Target Alpha" We know that the mech selected is alpha, and might help people under stand the whole focus target thing a bit more.

Yes, i realize it is a bit more work for adding voice, you would need to get the person to do the alphabet. But i also think it would be a good thing over all as it could teach folks the Phonetic Alphabet which could help newer players that might not know it all by heart.

Just adding a little more polish the the command wheel.

PS while they are at it, can you please add "HOT KEY" functions for them as well. Thanks! Posted Image

PPS, Does the dialog have unique language settings? AKA french, Spanish, German, Russian, ect? If so this could add a little more cost, But at the same time, maybe it could help us learn another language. I know i often hear people with heavy accents, and it would be nice to be able to hear what the other languages are, so i could flip over and know what they are actually saying. In would work both ways too, people of other languages, can start to learn what the English should be. Over all i think this could really help with the communication barrier.

Not a bad idea...

Most people use "target spotted" as a proverbial "target this mech".. myself included..

The problem with switching to actually making it "Target Alpha" is that this shot calling privilege is usually reserved for the person that takes company or lance command.. they actually get "Attack this target" on their command wheel..

If everybody had a "Target Alpha", then everybody would use it, and the concept of a "shot caller" would be null.

So if you want to call targets, take command.

What I would like to see added is the spotted target's name... so instead of "Target Spotted (F5)", you would get "Target spotted (A, F5)..

That would kinda integrate both into one package, and people could still use target spotted as a quick shot-calling technique

#8 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:28 AM

best Option a command Rose like Battlefield 2 and a transparency Overview Map like BF 2 to blend in the HUD with a Button

#9 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 25 July 2017 - 01:08 AM, said:

Wait does bitchin betty speak in French if I put my language settings to French?

I would assume not, but that's pretty cool if so... For language settings I would think the text indicators that come up are more importantly translated.

But yeah for the idea sure, I second that.

I dunno if language is supported, i never tried it, I was asking cause honestly i don't know how to switch languages Posted Image

View PostVellron2005, on 26 July 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

Not a bad idea...

Most people use "target spotted" as a proverbial "target this mech".. myself included..

The problem with switching to actually making it "Target Alpha" is that this shot calling privilege is usually reserved for the person that takes company or lance command.. they actually get "Attack this target" on their command wheel..

If everybody had a "Target Alpha", then everybody would use it, and the concept of a "shot caller" would be null.

So if you want to call targets, take command.

What I would like to see added is the spotted target's name... so instead of "Target Spotted (F5)", you would get "Target spotted (A, F5)..

That would kinda integrate both into one package, and people could still use target spotted as a quick shot-calling technique

That is an interesting take too. Add:

Target Alpha, f5

Target Delta, E7 ect.

That might be much more in the realm of do-able, as they added the HELP and location a while back. Though is target like that too? I forget now. I think the help, your icon flashes on the mini-map too.

But yes, i could see it getting a little confusing in PUG's, but at the same time, most games don't have many people talking, or using the command wheel, so anything that adds a little info to those that do, would be a plus. I am not sure i would wan't it to only be the people in command though. For comp or groups, people already use VOIP anyway.

To me pugs, are about learning to play for a large part. I think this could help. Posted Image

I didn't know that if you had command that that option was also there. I never take command, but at the same time, maybe it should be for others to use too. I'd rather see the day an entire team was trying to call targets and getting called target over load, over how it is now, where typically it's very few people that even bother. Some matches i don't see a single person use the wheel, or even talk. :(

So, i'd rather see the option get added, and if it was abused or confusing, they could always change it to just people in command using the option. Or maybe in group or FW/COMP it was only for leaders. I think typical QP pugs, things need a little more flexibility.

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 July 2017 - 08:52 AM.

#10 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

+1, makes sense

#11 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

While improving the command wheel, put spotted in the middle like in battlefield games, its just a little too awkward the way it is now if the target is moving.

Edited by Trev Firestorm, 26 July 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#12 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

This requires PGI's work different than on mech packs - so not see this coming if ever..

#13 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 26 July 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

best Option a command Rose like Battlefield 2 and a transparency Overview Map like BF 2 to blend in the HUD with a Button

I like that.

And then we can get respawns / more mechs to drop in Conquest mode and then it will really be like Mechlefield 2 Posted Image (Im not taking the piss I quite like the idea)

#14 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

I've had a bit of a mind blank here, but correct me if im wrong, even if a target IS marked with "A,B,C,D,E" etc, dont we have to actively target one of them to be able to see the letter/mark assigned, so you end up having to cycle through all the targets to get the one thats mentioned on voice comms?

I recall the last time some clever/useful mech pilot marked up everything in order of pain/annoyance that i kept having to whack R repeatedly to search for say Alpha or Foxtrot targets because there didnt seem to be an easy way to see who was what or i would have just aimed towards the target then whacked R....

The only solution is to press and hold the "SHOW TARGET OVERLAY" key, but this is a press/hold button and not a toggle button (which i cant believe it isnt already given there are already other keys to whack and stuff like the TAG which already require you to hold another button) making it completely useless to me and i dont want to have to add more macro's for yet another game on my good old Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit which is kinda showing its age now...

#15 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

I was under the impression one could select the target spotted dialog when desired. As in you see an enemy mech on your screen but do not have a target lock on it. (Which would make the dorito show up for everyone). So the letter should only be added if there is a target lock. A Focus Fire X option being added sounds more like what the desire being expressed requires.

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:55 AM

View PostMethanoid, on 26 July 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

I've had a bit of a mind blank here, but correct me if im wrong, even if a target IS marked with "A,B,C,D,E" etc, dont we have to actively target one of them to be able to see the letter/mark assigned, so you end up having to cycle through all the targets to get the one thats mentioned on voice comms?

I recall the last time some clever/useful mech pilot marked up everything in order of pain/annoyance that i kept having to whack R repeatedly to search for say Alpha or Foxtrot targets because there didnt seem to be an easy way to see who was what or i would have just aimed towards the target then whacked R....

The only solution is to press and hold the "SHOW TARGET OVERLAY" key, but this is a press/hold button and not a toggle button (which i cant believe it isnt already given there are already other keys to whack and stuff like the TAG which already require you to hold another button) making it completely useless to me and i dont want to have to add more macro's for yet another game on my good old Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit which is kinda showing its age now...

Well, Yes and no.. If you have the target selected, it will show up as the red triangle, and if you don't lock but someone else does, you should be-able to see the letter right? Or is that just UAV's? I always lock up on called targets so i might be wrong, but i often see letters on targets i don't have locked. But typically, the selected target, aka Red Dorito, is the called target in most cases.

But perhaps, a little more text could be added?

In Voice,
Target Alpha, Target Bravo, ect

In text,
Target Alpha, Atlas D4

Not to much text spam, and helpful to everyone. I know when i personally call targets, i will say Target Alpha, Atlas, ect. I always call out the mech along with letter, that way people that might be new, know what that mech is. And vets can often know what to watch out for. For example, if you say Target Delta, Griffin, more likely than not its an SRM boat. (though new tech might change it a bit) Or Target Charlie, Cheeta, you probably know its a fast laser boat running SLP's or ML's 99% of the time.

#17 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:43 AM

I like it~

#18 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

Just add to this the ability to when the person is lance commander or company commander does the target alpha , the ones in the lance/all respectively get to use a new mapped key ( assign in the controls menu ) called "target called mech" so that everyone concerned could instantly get the right red box targeted :) .

#19 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

"Target Bravo Warhammer" can be useless if there are 4-5 Warhammers nearby (Faction Play, I'm looking at you...)

I've always wanted a targeting shortcut such as CTRL+B = select Bravo (if it is on radar)
This would make it much easier to support friendlies

#20 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostBumbleBee, on 27 July 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

"Target Bravo Warhammer" can be useless if there are 4-5 Warhammers nearby (Faction Play, I'm looking at you...)

well i dunno if you could call it useless, because.. Well it's the "bravo" warhammer. No system is perfect right?

But on a second note, to help clairfy, the person calling the target using the wheel could get a mech flash icon on your mini-map..

So you would see who is calling from your team, and then make a better determination where that mech could be. After all, if they are including the grid number in text, alone with "Alpha Phonetic" of said mech, that is a ton of info to help you figure out which mech we are talking about.

That said, if you have 3 warhammers in D5 under ECM, well then just look which one is being shot at :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users