Glossary Developement Thread

21 replies to this topic

#1 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

Hello everyone, this thread is where you can comment on the Glossary of Terms.

If you have any suggestions, think anything important is missing or find a mistake, just let us know here (or write me a PM) and we will try to add/fix as soon as possible.

#2 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

Items to add (based on a 20-second scan...):

Mech Types (Assault, Heavy, Medium, Light)
Nascar

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

Will have a list here tomorrow. Reserving spot till I get home from work (12 hour shifts), plenty of terms to pull from my big post of them from the short question short answer thread.

Edit:
So I looked at the terms I had to add, and they are more along the lines of common gameplay terms used in MWO.

If those are okay to add, then:

Some definitions:
  • A cheese build is a build that either abuses the game's mechanics or packs on a lot of power for instant kills. Generally such builds show a lack of sportsmanship.
  • A joke build is something that on paper or in game is laughable and made entirely for fun or "because you can." Some joke builds, however, are no laughing matter and surprisingly deadly.
  • A boat is a mech that exclusively or almost exclusively packs on one type of weapon.
  • A poptart is a mech that stands in place and leaps from his 'toaster' (cover) over and over to make pot-shots.
  • Popcorn is a rarely used term referring to a ballistic boat that's slower than it needs to be, meaning its carrying insane amounts of ammunition that will pop if hit right. They are lovely to shoot and when secondary explosions had sounds they were amazing to hear. Like music. Typically they can be triggered by popping a leg. The rest is just art in the making.
  • "Distress Signal." A distress signal is performed by rapidly pressing the Target key when faced with multiple enemies. This is done for two reasons; it marks where a large number of enemy forces are, and as a call for help. Those who respond to the distress signal will begin moving towards the targets (but usually will not go all the way there; just closer). This is your chance to RUN! The allies responding to the signal can provide cover.
  • "Help [Grid location]" is a request for assistance to help an overwhelmed but healthy mech to escape from a bad situation. A response is usually helpful.
  • ECM [grid location] means that an enemy ECM mech is in that location and is hiding his or her team.
  • "To Commit" is a term that refers to engaging in a fight you cannot pull away from. With a single life this is important because once you commit that's it. Either you win or you die as the situation is impossible to escape from. Examples of usage: "Are we going to commit?" "Are you sure about this? We can't win. (response) It's too late we're committed." "I've got hostiles here. (Roger that, rendezvous with us and lure 'em.) No can do, I'm committed."
  • "Going down" is the guaranteed losing form of "to commit." With enough experience you will know right away when there is nothing you can do and so reporting (on voice) that you are going down lets your comrades know that you cannot be rescued and that any attempt to do so will result in a Black Hawk Down scenario.
  • Gestures: o7 (saluting), o/ (hello!), O_O (holy cow!) o.o (what? or "Um...") O.o (What are you doing?) ^_^ (Happy; smiling brightly; no hard feelings.)
  • Role playing: Happens occasionally by people trying to spice their game up. A member of (faction) will make some declaration or decree, stating that you are to do (something) or else you will be destroyed. It's fun to read/do, but means nothing.
  • Premade: This is a group of players who arranged to join into the match together. In general for every premade on one team, there's at least one premade on the opposing team. This doesn't mean that they are of equal size, just that they exist.
  • PUG: Pick-Up Gamer. Also used to refer to anyone playing by themselves without friends to accompany them.
  • Surrender: A closed beta and early open beta act during the days of repair and rearm. It was performed by a final mech whose last stand would perform no satisfactory outcome. The act entails reporting "I surrender" and powering down. It was given by the losing mech to avoid repair bills, and adhered to and honored by the victorious team due to two reasons: It meant no higher repair and rearm bills for themselves (resulting from fighting and killing the last enemy), and base capture at the time paid more than total annihilation of the enemy team. This will NOT work anymore, nor will it be honored by most.

Edited by Koniving, 28 July 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

I'd add Drop-zone:
Where reinforcements arrive in CW.

And Overrun:
To push through the enemy position, mostly used when one team pushes the enemy to their drop-zone.

For new folk who check out the Faction warfare forum, where such things come up.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 25 July 2017 - 01:07 PM.

#5 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Added:
Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault
Nascar
Drop-Zone
Overrun

Just for your information:

If you do guides and things like that, you can just copy&paste the glossary terms. For example Arm Lock is just copied from the A list :)

#6 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:32 PM

I wrote down a short list of terms half a year ago, by far not as nice as yours and with no real success. If you have interest, and time, browse through it, maybe you find something usefull:
https://mwomercs.com...60#entry5596660

Edited by Nerokar, 25 July 2017 - 11:35 PM.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

not sure if you want to add in comon abreviations, but here are a few reasionably common ones which are not currently on the list

BAP, abreviations for the Beagle Active Probe, used by the Inner Sphere

cAP, abreviation for the Clan Active Probe

LAMS, Laser Anti Missile System

SLDF, Star League Defence Force, the military of the Star League who left the Inner Sphere centuries ago and became the Clans

RA RL, RT, LA, LL, LT, CT, abreviations for Mech locations, Right Arm, Right LEg, Right Torso, Lect Arm, Left Leg, Left Torso and Center Torso (which is by far the most used abreviation)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 26 July 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#8 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 26 July 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

not sure if you want to add in comon abreviations, but here are a few reasionably common ones which are not currently on the list

BAP, abreviations for the Beagle Active Probe, used by the Inner Sphere

cAP, abreviation for the Clan Active Probe

LAMS, Laser Anti Missile System

SLDF, Star League Defence Force, the military of the Star League who left the Inner Sphere centuries ago and became the Clans

RA RL, RT, LA, LL, LT, CT, abreviations for Mech locations, Right Arm, Right LEg, Right Torso, Lect Arm, Left Leg, Left Torso and Center Torso (which is by far the most used abreviation)

All in, thanks!

View PostNerokar, on 25 July 2017 - 11:32 PM, said:

I wrote down a short list of terms half a year ago, by far not as nice as yours and with no real success. If you have interest, and time, browse through it, maybe you find something usefull:
https://mwomercs.com...60#entry5596660

Will have a look, thanks!

Won't get them in tonight, but what I would definately put in from your list (and the second in the post):
DPS, HPS, Hill Humping, PPFLD, Permadead, Stick

Edited by Ibrandul Mike, 26 July 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#9 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

I noticed under LL you mentioned it also as an abbreviation for Large Laser...

Which lead me to think of all the various weapon abbreviations. Not sure if you want to include them or not, but (for example):

SL, ML
ERSL, ERML, ERLL (and cERSL, etc...)
SPL, MPL, LPL (and cSPL, etc...)
HSL, HML, HLL
LMG, MG, HMG
LG, HG
LPPC, HPPC, SNPPC

... since some of them already have an entry on their own, might just add the abbreviation to the name in the entry, for example, instead of the entry just being 'Light PPC', make it 'Light PPC (LPPC)'

Dunno if it would be worthwhile (and realize it would be a fair amount of work), just a thought.

#10 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

Added all above...

View PostKaethir, on 26 July 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

I noticed under LL you mentioned it also as an abbreviation for Large Laser...

Which lead me to think of all the various weapon abbreviations. Not sure if you want to include them or not, but (for example):

SL, ML
ERSL, ERML, ERLL (and cERSL, etc...)
SPL, MPL, LPL (and cSPL, etc...)
HSL, HML, HLL
LMG, MG, HMG
LG, HG
LPPC, HPPC, SNPPC

... since some of them already have an entry on their own, might just add the abbreviation to the name in the entry, for example, instead of the entry just being 'Light PPC', make it 'Light PPC (LPPC)'

Dunno if it would be worthwhile (and realize it would be a fair amount of work), just a thought.

Could you check if the grouping looks ok? :)

#11 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

Will you also be going for map specific 'slang' terms?

Like Crimson Straight's 'Saddle' or HPG's 'Basement'?

#12 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

I see no problem with that... just need to check the coordinates too for the Saddle... the Basement is easy :)

#13 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

View PostIbrandul Mike, on 26 July 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

Added all above...

Could you check if the grouping looks ok? Posted Image

It's a little odd that cLPL and cMPL ended up right next to each other and cSPL is way at the bottom, but... it's alphabetical, so I get that too *shrug*.

nice!

#14 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:10 AM

Finally added Saddle and Basement... and a few of Konivings suggestions. Please don't edit posts in here with new terms if I already got through that post.
Just found them because I was looking through the posts again :)

#15 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:27 AM

Cauldera: Top of the volcano on Caustic Valley

Mt. Tryhard: Top of the big peak in Alpine Peaks

Upper City: the northwest corner of River City

Citadel: The large building everyone gathers behind on the SE corner of River City

RIP Pug Zapper. How I am both glad and sad to see you gone from Terra Therma.

Edited by Kjudoon, 14 August 2017 - 05:30 AM.

#16 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:34 AM

Sorry:

Glass Cannon: A build with lots of weapon but easy to kill.

Lurmishing: A style of close in fighting with LRMs that involves rapid re-positioning and keeping the enemy in sight.

#17 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

Drop Caller: Person who coordinates the team, and voices the plan used in FW.

FW: Faction Warfare. The non-quickplay mode that requires a lot of teamwork and communication to work properly. (same as CW, FP, etc.)

LURMer: Semi-derogatory, person who pilots an LRM Boat.

Easy-mode: Highly derogatory reference to people who play on Clan side. (it ain't that easy bud)

One-Shot needs to be updated with a description: Mech that was, is, or can be destroyed in a single shot. Can refer to a weakly armored or damaged enemy, or to an extremely large Alpha Strike mech being able to "One-Shot" certain mechs.

OP needs to be updated with a description: Original Post.

Potato doesn't have an "e" when used as a derogatory term in MWO... Might want to update the spelling.

Power Down: Power down the mech.

Shutdown: Plan prevented by the reaction of the opposing team. Also: Power Down the mech.

Crit Slots, Critical Slots: Slots.

That's all I have on a quick pass through. Posted Image

Are you planning on putting this into some kind of wiki? That would make it a lot easier and faster to use. (just don't let non-logged in people make updates)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 14 August 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#18 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 14 August 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

[..]

OP needs to be updated with a description: Original Post.

Potato doesn't have an "e" when used as a derogatory term in MWO... Might want to update the spelling.

Are you planning on putting this into some kind of wiki? That would make it a lot easier and faster to use. (just don't let non-logged in people make updates)

Corrected the misspelled. Need to get the rest in. Might take a day or two ... or tonight... will see how fast I can get to it.
The Wiki question: I wanted to get something together so people don't need an outside source. A wiki might be more comfortable but as long as it is not a wiki (at least linked) by PGI, it would go against that goal.
I could try to set something like that up... would just need to crashcourse ... and someone at PGI linking it :P

#19 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

Notably absent:
- academy: "Where mechwarriors go to learn their trade and hone their skills."
- testing grounds: "A secluded, evacuated area far behind the fronlines where mechwarriors can test their mech without causing too much harm to themselves and their environment. Practice targets are provided."
- alpha/beta/gamma/delta/epsilon/... : designations for mission objectives (unfortunably, alpha/bravo/charlie are lance designations too).
- (nato) phoenetic alphabet: Special designations used to identify enemies, e.g. "kilo e7" means the enemy with designation K is in grid location e7. Maybe with a link "See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet" or a list.
- GHKC: "good hunt, kill clan" - used by some inner sphere players in faction play as a greeting

That aside, *thumbs up*

Edited by Exilyth, 14 August 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#20 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

Added most of the requested stuff Posted Image

The nato alphabet is already in as "Target Calls" but I added it as "Nato Alphabet" and "phoenetic alphabet"

Alpha, Beta, Gamme ... I let out because it is obviously marked ingame.
Updated "one-shot".

Added "FW" and "CW" against better judgement. The correct term is FP, the other ones are remnants but still used often enough.

Edited by Ibrandul Mike, 14 August 2017 - 04:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users