Can't Recreate Team

7 replies to this topic

#1 Erox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:18 AM

We disbanded the 331 comp team, to recreate the team for the lockdown for the 2017 MechWarrior Online World Championship. But now we can't reopen the team, because the team already exists.
Can we somehow delete the old team, still remaining with zero members, or can we get the team back?

#2 Commander Dee

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

you can if you email tech support.. but its hard..

went thru this years ago .. you would have been better to create a 2nd account.. Invite that name in.. make it general.
then all leave.. then all come back...

#3 Erox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:14 AM

I think we speak of two different things. Comp teams are two months old.

#4 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:25 AM

Most likely, you will have to empty the old roster, create a new one with a slightly different name like 331x and reroster.

#5 Erox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

But that's not what we want to. Is there some PGI employee that can remove our old comp team, or give it back to me?

#6 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

Contack support email and see if they will do it. Thats all you can hope for atm. Better do it soon, as they do not typically reply to requests over the werkends.

#7 CraneArmy

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

I'm assuming this didnt get addressed before the deadline, and I think I have an idea as to why it wouldnt get done.

The reason is statistics tracking and simplifying the statistics database. In order to prevent collisions in how they are tracking the statistics of different teams. It is likely that in order to keep the complete dataset for teams that you have played against they cannot delete your old team from the database (easilly). You would end up leaving partial, incomplete information in the database that can cause headaches even for DBA's with an abundance of time (which I dont think the PGI employees have).

Hypothetically if you structured your data well, you are mostly referencing a random UID instead of the team name wherever possible and you might be able to leave everything intact if you just deleted old references to the name, but this might still cause confusion in meatspace if another group registered a team name 331 after you deleted the old one.

tl;dr - what you want is probably possible, but it requires extensive preplanning of the database that may not have been a practical goal in order to meet the absolute deadlines that were required in order to get the queue in the right place before mech-con

#8 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

Moot point now. Rosters locked last night at midnite.

If he didn't get it fixed via PGI direct intervention, then he'll definitely only have that as an option now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users