- - - - -

What Is Mech Can Use The Heavy Gauss?

14 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:08 AM

I can only find one of the Maulers and you cannot use a light engine in it.

#2 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

It really just depends on what else you want to put in the mech.
IMO, the heavy gauss doesn't work in anything around 50t or less.
It MUST go in a side torso,
It MUST have a standard engine.

Here, I built a Shadowhawk for you.
(I didn't bother with checking quirks first. Suffice it to say this would work in most SHDs)
You get 20 shots with it unquirked, and a couple meds for back up weapons.

Edit: If you're willing to be suicidal, here's a dual hgauss Sleipnir,
Of course, you're only going 50kph and you get only 17 dual shots. Good luck.

(no, I didn't tweak the front/back armor. I leave that to you)

Edited by ScottAleric, 27 July 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 27 July 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

I can only find one of the Maulers and you cannot use a light engine in it.

Like, the HGR isn't really worth it, because you have to take a standard engine with it.. a lighter, more effective weapon system to use in it's place would be the isUAC/20, that you can take a LFE with.

The isUAC/20 does almost as much per firing cycle, with the option to double tap for extra damage, not to mention a better optimal range and more ammo/ton.

#4 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Marauder-5M: hgauss (4-5 tons of ammo), 5xML, STD300 and 1xJJ is actually a very solid build. If you have the Bounty Hunter hero variant you can put even more lasers on it.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

Easy.

Any mech that can hold that HEAVY monstrosity (so a mech between 65 to 100 tons) using a STANDARD engine (only) so it'll be slow regardless. Must have a ballistic hardpoint.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

the Cicada has 2 varients able to hold the Heavy Gauss, however with something that light it is a question of what you have to sacrifice CDA-3M
2 varients of the Firestarter could mount Heavy Gauss, but you would need to sacrifice far more than the Cicada must, the Cicada is boarderline plausable, I do not think a Heavy Gauss Firestarter is.

A Hunchback is the smallest Mech I would mount one on, it can easily find the tonage without seriously compromising in any area other than speed, and even then it is using the stock engine for 64kph
basicly any IS Mech over 30 tons, with side torso balistic hardpoints is able to mount a Heavy Gauss, that means the following Mechs all have at least 1 varient able to mount a HG
Firestarter (but only if you are crazy)
Assassin, Cicada (both with serious comprimises), Hunchback, Uziel, Bushwacker, Shadow Hawk
Dragon, Catapult, Roughneck, Cataphract, Warhammer, Marauder, Orion
Stalker, Cyclops, Mauler, Banshee, Annlhilator, Atlas.

if you want to know the precise varients check the list on Smurfys

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 27 July 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

Like, the HGR isn't really worth it, because you have to take a standard engine with it.. a lighter, more effective weapon system to use in it's place would be the isUAC/20, that you can take a LFE with.

The isUAC/20 does almost as much per firing cycle, with the option to double tap for extra damage, not to mention a better optimal range and more ammo/ton.

better optomal range is true, and a UAC20 doubletaps for more damage than the the Heavy Gauss however the HGRdoes more damage per salvo at any range than any AC except the 2 or 5 at well past their optomum range.

It is for you do decide if the hGauss is worth taking, I persionaly do not see myself using it much but still I can see situations in which it could be useful.

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

I tried Mauler with two HGR. It was way too slow considering the weapon only does good damage at pretty close range. A heavy with high engine might do better, but I think it's a bit impractical weapon really.

#9 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 27 July 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

better optomal range is true, and a UAC20 doubletaps for more damage than the the Heavy Gauss however the HGRdoes more damage per salvo at any range than any AC except the 2 or 5 at well past their optomum range.

It is for you do decide if the hGauss is worth taking, I persionaly do not see myself using it much but still I can see situations in which it could be useful.

I took on a HGR packing GRID IRON last night in my YEN-LO-WANG and to be honest it was a tough fight, being able to double tap that UAC/20 made it a short fight, I just really had to use keep an eye on everything and force him to fight on my terms.. Still between the big boys the UAC/20 to me is a far better weapon.

#10 Muriel Steiner

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

The annihilator is a decent assault option ((1A; 2A; 1X) at least, as decent for dual HGR build as for anything else). Since it has weapons in the center torso, it's a good candidate for using a standard engine anyway.

#11 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

Well, I can put one in the torso of my Stk-M if I really want to try it. It is so slow, however...Thanks all!

#12 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

EMBER

I couldn't resist.

But in all seriousness, the HGR is...eh...

Too many crits. It can't physically be mounted on any arm hardpoint, because every arm must at least have a shoulder crit and an upper arm actuator crit - and this always prevents the HGR from being mounted there. By extension, this means that the HGR must go on a side torso; and again, because of too many crits, you have to use a STD engine with it.

Which therefore means that any practical builds using a HGR tend to be on the fat end of the mech scale. Any mech heavier than ~60 tons with a ST ballistic slot can use it with other weapons effectively; if you want to run it as your only weapon, I guess any mech with a ST ballistic slot heavier than 45 tons can do it.

In all seriousness, here's a GRID IRON.

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 27 July 2017 - 06:01 PM.

#13 Evilwallofdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

I have done the Firestarter Heavy Gauss mech in games and it plays like an Urbanmech. Sheild with your non-gauss side, it can take a lot of damage. It's basically a troll mech, but sometimes lights come to you thinking you are a wounded animal with no leg cause you're so slow. It's fun watching them panic. If you were part of the swarm of three lights I killed with it on HPG, I'm sorry. Generally though, my games with it are both hilarious, and epic failures.

The mechs I use the most for serious HG action are the Dragon (Flame Only), Cicada 3M, and the Bushwhacker (X1 I think). All of these mechs have ballistics range quirks [I believe], so if you abuse the skill tree a little you can get your HG going to about 225 meters max effective range.

#14 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

The Kaiju for what it's worth. 2x Heavy PPC and Heavy Guass for outrageous pinpoint damage before you take all the return fire to the face an die. I guess an Atlas could fit it, but that seems like a mediocre idea. There just aren't many mechs with the weight and profile for it.

#15 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:55 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 27 July 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

Well, I can put one in the torso of my Stk-M if I really want to try it. It is so slow, however...Thanks all!

It's alright

*nvm, forgot about ghost heat, lol....*

Edited by knightsljx, 08 August 2017 - 06:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users