Would Like Some X-5 Suggestions Please

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jormunrek

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

Bought the Cicada X-5 on a whim since the sale on heroes is going on but wanted to know if it has gotten any new life with the Civil War update?

If not, fair enough, any build suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think once I get use to the crazy speed on the thing (I'm use to the 64-74kph range) it could be a fun ride.

Thanks in advance.

Jorm
(yes I'm a potato but don't hold that against me)

#2 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

Peek, puke, hide. - Admittedly MRMs are kinda bad, but not having to get into AC20/SRM range to hurt things is a big advantage to a squishy 'Mech like the Cicada.

With SRMs instead, and with the stock engine just for fun.

All lasers.

PPCs.

*edit: Cicadas were good before (all high mounts never hurts anything), and LFE makes them better. They can still be fast, just not quite as fast, but they can actually take a hit and not die screaming now. I'm not seeing a lot of them on the field, but that's been the case for a while and not so much a reflection on their viability as it is on the sheer number of choices available.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 28 July 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#3 Jormunrek

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Jorm

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

Always found the two large two med to be the most effective.

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 28 July 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

*edit: Cicadas were good before (all high mounts never hurts anything), and LFE makes them better.

You think so? I found the Xlites to be terrible for them. You are a box on legs, anything slower than 120 is a death sentence. May not have the risk of an XL death but once that CT takes some damage you get focused down fast. Felt like Xlite was making me choose speed or ranged firepower, and you really need both for the cicada.

Edited by Roughneck45, 28 July 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#5 Jormunrek

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

I was going to try to drop a light fusion engine but the kph just dropped more than I was comfortable with. I'll make no bones about being super awesome or anything but have had what I would consider success by dropping the engine a couple of tons (at 121kph but not ingame so can say which one exactly) and mounting two snub-nosed ppc's and a pair of ersml.

My largest hurdle my impatience to hang in the pack and wait for opportunities and uncanny luck for maneuvering around obstacles to come face to face with an entire lance instead of a single mech's back. >.<

Jorm

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

I used to use a LRM-10 + ER PPC rig. I'll let you know what I settle on with the new tech.

#7 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

I got 150 games in this thing... it's all about how you use those missile hardpoints. Otherwise you're obviously better off with the 2A with six energy hardpoints.

One obvious route (and the one I took) is to put SRM's in those missile hardpoints, and use them to complement the classic ML complement. My build uses an XL320, 4xML, 2xSRM4, which leaves space for 12 DHS.

Compared to the champion build on 2A (XL340, 6xML) you gain some alpha damage though it's a bit more involved to run than simply vomiting ML's. Still I find it a good enough once you get comfortable leading with the SRM's.

I think I'll forgo the new-tech with this one... I like ERML's but here your MO is to work within the range of SRM's, and once there ML's are all you need.

#8 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

4ML or ERML + 2SRM6

4ML + 2SRM4

4MPL + 2SRM4

PPC + 2LPPC + 2DHS

2LL + 2ERML + 3DHS