salt

11 replies to this topic

#1 Toodles X

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Pgi, please stop doing events that only involve faction play. Please... just stop.... It feels like you're just trying to give the competitive players fun things to shoot at.

Without matchmaking rules, and no separation between Group and Solo drops... For me it's just a never ending curb stomp that makes me simply not want to play the game. In any mode.

Faction play already has cool extra rewards from the faction and merc tree's. It's a constant event for people who want to play it.

For me personally, the events have ensured that I will NEVER play this mode.

#2 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

View PostToodles X, on 27 July 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

Pgi, please stop doing events that only involve faction play. Please... just stop.... It feels like you're just trying to give the competitive players fun things to shoot at.

I would say most of the competitive players do not like or play CW

Without matchmaking rules, and no separation between Group and Solo drops... For me it's just a never ending curb stomp that makes me simply not want to play the game. In any mode.[color=#959595].[/color]

What have you done to fix this? Joined a Unit, looked into help guilds on how to get better, asked for help or advice.

If you want to be in the top 10% of MWO players, Don;t use LRMS, learn to twist, use cover and shoot while moving. This game is not hard, compared to most FPS games this one is easy, its very slow paced with big targets to shoot.

Edited by live1991, 10 August 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#3 Toodles X

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

View Postlive1991, on 10 August 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

What have you done to fix this? Joined a Unit, looked into help guilds on how to get better, asked for help or advice.

If you want to be in the top 10% of MWO players, Don;t use LRMS, learn to twist, use cover and shoot while moving. This game is not hard, compared to most FPS games this one is easy, its very slow paced with big targets to shoot.

That's only a little condescending, I obviously need to get more gud.
(I wasn't complaining about not being able to get my match score every match.... I did quite ok there.)

The problem is, this is a TEAM game. So, especially when there is an event on, if you don't drop as a large group. You get a group of Pugs. Which, nine times out of ten, has no business dropping against a group. Most games, you know within the first minute or so of combat exactly how the match is going to go. Then 99% of the time, critical mass happens shortly after and it's just a matter of taking as many of them with you as you can. That happens in every cue. However in Faction Play, you then have spend the next 20 min after critical mass, playing hard, to get stomped. About half the time the match ends with the enemy team camping your drops, so you can just throw away any hope of damage or kills with your last mech or two out the window. At least in group and solo cue, the pain is over in a min or two.

Then there's the match payout. Awesome that the 1 in 12 match I am on the winning side of, I pull in almost 2 million c-bills. But mostly it's spend 20-30 min getting stomped on to get the same amount of cash I get from a good match in solo que. A good match that last like 5 min max. I could be ok with the aggravation if it was at least a quick way to farm c-bills. However mostly it's aggravating, AND a waste of my time.

Now lets add in the last event, and here's what REALLY frustrated me more than the painful grind to get my color. We're playing attack on siege, and we drop correctly first wave. Push in like a wrecking ball and take out all the turrets and get an o-gen in the process. Well now no one has done any damage, and most of us have burned our heavy drop. Sok, we're sitting really good to win, maybe even on wave 2. Yet now, no one wants to push in again. All they want to do is hold back, trade out some damage so they can make their match score...

But my salt about Faction Play isn't the subject of my original post. I simply think that PGI should stop doing events for only Faction play. Hell it's a little unfair that most of the events are ONLY Solo/Group cue. Maybe do faction or Solo/Group requirements for each reward. Balance their requirements, so an event doesn't mean that Faction is stealing players from Solo/Group cue, or that a Solo/Group event isn't stealing Faction players.

If you wanna be a try-hard, join a unit, go through boot camp, and all that. More power to you, I don't care about being in the top 10%. I'm here to drink beer and shoot mechs. It's been said that play style means I shouldn't play Faction Play. Fair enough, because I'm never going to again. However an event, especially in a FTP game, means that people feel obligated to play the event.... So PGI is trying to put people who shouldn't be in FP, in FP.

I'll say it again:

Pgi, please stop doing events that only involve faction play. Please... just stop.... It feels like you're just trying to give the competitive players try-hards fun things to shoot at.

#4 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:02 AM

View Postlive1991, on 10 August 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

If you want to be in the top 10% of MWO players, Don;t use LRMS

LRMs got me into the top 5% for average match score... (and out of T5) You need to reevaluate what needs to be done to be in the top 10%.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 12 August 2017 - 12:02 AM.

#5 Tyroki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

I never bothered with CW before that last War Chest event, and had a blast playing CW.
Now I'm sad that it takes forever to get a match :\

******** got me hooked, but now no one wants to play it.

#6 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 12 August 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

LRMs got me into the top 5% for average match score... (and out of T5) You need to reevaluate what needs to be done to be in the top 10%.

Trying not be rude, Match score in this game means nothing as its so easy to get a high score when you are not doing much.
If you are playing bads that can not use cover, then of course you will get a good score, As you move up the Tiers or play better people, LRMS get very hard to use.

#7 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostToodles X, on 11 August 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

That's only a little condescending, I obviously need to get more gud.
(I wasn't complaining about not being able to get my match score every match.... I did quite ok there.)

The problem is, this is a TEAM game. So, especially when there is an event on, if you don't drop as a large group. You get a group of Pugs. Which, nine times out of ten, has no business dropping against a group. Most games, you know within the first minute or so of combat exactly how the match is going to go. Then 99% of the time, critical mass happens shortly after and it's just a matter of taking as many of them with you as you can. That happens in every cue. However in Faction Play, you then have spend the next 20 min after critical mass, playing hard, to get stomped. About half the time the match ends with the enemy team camping your drops, so you can just throw away any hope of damage or kills with your last mech or two out the window. At least in group and solo cue, the pain is over in a min or two.

Then there's the match payout. Awesome that the 1 in 12 match I am on the winning side of, I pull in almost 2 million c-bills. But mostly it's spend 20-30 min getting stomped on to get the same amount of cash I get from a good match in solo que. A good match that last like 5 min max. I could be ok with the aggravation if it was at least a quick way to farm c-bills. However mostly it's aggravating, AND a waste of my time.

Now lets add in the last event, and here's what REALLY frustrated me more than the painful grind to get my color. We're playing attack on siege, and we drop correctly first wave. Push in like a wrecking ball and take out all the turrets and get an o-gen in the process. Well now no one has done any damage, and most of us have burned our heavy drop. Sok, we're sitting really good to win, maybe even on wave 2. Yet now, no one wants to push in again. All they want to do is hold back, trade out some damage so they can make their match score...

But my salt about Faction Play isn't the subject of my original post. I simply think that PGI should stop doing events for only Faction play. Hell it's a little unfair that most of the events are ONLY Solo/Group cue. Maybe do faction or Solo/Group requirements for each reward. Balance their requirements, so an event doesn't mean that Faction is stealing players from Solo/Group cue, or that a Solo/Group event isn't stealing Faction players.

If you wanna be a try-hard, join a unit, go through boot camp, and all that. More power to you, I don't care about being in the top 10%. I'm here to drink beer and shoot mechs. It's been said that play style means I shouldn't play Faction Play. Fair enough, because I'm never going to again. However an event, especially in a FTP game, means that people feel obligated to play the event.... So PGI is trying to put people who shouldn't be in FP, in FP.

I'll say it again:

Not all units are tryhards, heaps just drink piss and play together.

#8 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

View Postlive1991, on 13 August 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Trying not be rude, Match score in this game means nothing as its so easy to get a high score when you are not doing much.
If you are playing bads that can not use cover, then of course you will get a good score, As you move up the Tiers or play better people, LRMS get very hard to use.

So which metric would you use to determine what players are in the "top 10%"? KDR? (the one that doesn't count KMDDs if someone kill-steals, which doesn't matter whatsoever to playing well) Win/loss ratio? (the one that only changes based on how much teamwork your team and the others put in) What metric? I'm going by the only ones that are even remotely close to dealing with all of the aspects of good gameplay, the match scores. Granted, they aren't very accurate, especially in FW, but they're the only halfway decent metric we have right now.

#9 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

I would like to add that many clan mechs are over performing and on top of that, they now have new Hero mechs to beat up on under performing IS mechs.
I think it will be unduly difficult to achieve some of the event goals as a result (if you are running IS).
*You don't have to agree with me - just look at the status bar in the Faction Play screen for confirmation.*
PGI (if your listening), take a closer look at some of the goals and please adjust them to be more fair to the weaker IS teams.
Thank you.
(or just leave them the way they are and let the clanners farm all of the goals along with their high kill count)
(Sorry - just being frustrated at the situation)
Peace-all

#10 Toodles X

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:47 PM

View Postlive1991, on 13 August 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

Not all units are tryhards, heaps just drink piss and play together.

Sorry, that was me just being salty, then getting UBER salty after your reply...... However, you're so right!!! I've dropped in group cue with so many units that were AMAZING. To the point once where me and my friend were lucky enough to sync drop with the same unit for 5 games. We got the snot kicked out of us all five matches, but by the end we all were laughing so hard we were crying. It was one of the best nights I've ever had in the game... and I lost a PSR rank over it.

I simply havn't gotten lucky enough to have that experience in FP. If I do drop with a group they are on discord or teamspeak, and I am not worth talking to.

The issue to me is: FP doesn't have the population to support a separate Group and Solo cue. So the matches will always overwhelmingly favor groups. I'm not a very social player, so I don't want to join even just a social unit. That's my failing, not the games. However, after quite a painful bit of experimentation, it makes FP unplayable for me.

The current event is actually a pretty good example of what I wanted when I started this thread! There is ONE solo/group only reward, and it's not huge. There is ONE FP reward, and it's not huge. Everything else you can earn by doing both.

Edited by Toodles X, 15 August 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#11 Toodles X

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

View Postlive1991, on 13 August 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

LRM's are very very hard to use, they are the most easily countered weapons in the game. However, back in the day when I ran LRM's and SRM's on my catapult. At 200m, that thing was F'n scary, period. However, outside that range, it was still always very useful to the team.

#12 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:47 AM

View PostTyroki, on 12 August 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

I never bothered with CW before that last War Chest event, and had a blast playing CW.
Now I'm sad that it takes forever to get a match :\

******** got me hooked, but now no one wants to play it.

Thats why we will get even MORE FACTION PLAY events in the future ... to make enough players want to play this mode ;-P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users