10 replies to this topic

#1 KAMUT

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:32 PM

Hello, this is my 3rd day playing this version of Mechwarrior, I used to play MW2,3,3 Pirates Moon, 4, 4, Black Knight, and 4- Mercenaries, Loved them all, as well as the MechCommander series cause I am a mad scientist. Love to experiment with builds. I am not interested in metas, just an understanding of some of the basic game mechanics.

like for example, the heat index, 2, I try to stay about 1.1, or roughly 50% + but a lot of times that means going to smaller equipment, I'm not much of a brawler, In fact I average 350 damage in faction mode between 4 mechs, so I know I suck. But I follow orders, listen to the experienced players, and score a few victories here and there, kill assists, and savior kills.

My style is poke and shoot, or LRM support at range, I like ppcs and ER lasers, getting the hang of rotary acs, love AC5 and LRM boats. just not sure what is average damage and what I can do to improve it without overheating too quick.

My favorite action is up against KCOM, although I know I am gonna get clobbered, I see what works what doesn't. but firing a pair of ac5 center mass into a rushing heavy or medium, I know I should be doing some red on that body, but I don't see much effect on them. I understand they are very well organized, trained, and probably got great mech load outs, but wow, I had to shake my head.

I love KCOM, don't know them personally, but when I see them pop up on the enemy side, everyone goes "Oh SH*t" I laugh to myself because I know from experience, any unit that provokes that reaction, epitomizes everything that make the battletech universe great.

So I guess what can I do to make these weapons more effective? some of these build I used on other games, so jeesh, why does it seem like I might as well be shooting spit balls, Some of the skill tree stuff is self explanatory but am I missing something here?

Is it the mech quirks? skill sets, bad choice weapon (AC5x2 Really?) maybe something in the build holding them back, what it is. Don't tell me its skill, anybody that runs in enemy fire center mass should take punishment, makes sense to me?

KAMUT

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

We can probably help you better it you post some of your builds using this site: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

#3 KAMUT

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

Posted Image

#4 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

View PostKAMUT, on 01 August 2017 - 08:32 PM, said:

Hello, this is my 3rd day playing this version of Mechwarrior, I used to play MW2,3,3 Pirates Moon, 4, 4, Black Knight, and 4- Mercenaries, Loved them all, as well as the MechCommander series cause I am a mad scientist. Love to experiment with builds. I am not interested in metas, just an understanding of some of the basic game mechanics.

Soo, no interest in Meta builds, hmm? Well, prepare to read A LOT Posted Image
Iinformation and tools of high value:
https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/ Skilltreeplaner. Simply Priceless and self explonary.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ Here you can find nearly every information about this game.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ght_innersphere Quirks (not like TT) of Mechvariants and omnipods
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment Equipment with all its stats
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale Heatscale, or GHOSTHEAT. Important mechanik for boats. You get heapenalties if you fire to many weapons of same group. To Avoid penalties, shoot max alowed amount of weapons in same group, wait 0.5 seconds and shoot again. Example: If you shoot 12 cERML with your NVA it produces 194 heat. you die... fire 6, wait half a second fire 6 again and you will end up with ~85 heat... still too much, but you will not explode...
Naked Reaver Most important feature of this page: Mechlab.
https://mwomercs.com...n-short-answer/ There is no MWO Question, that can not be answered here. Usualy in less than 60 minutes...

like for example, the heat index, 2, I try to stay about 1.1, or roughly 50% + but a lot of times that means going to smaller equipment, I'm not much of a brawler, In fact I average 350 damage in faction mode between 4 mechs, so I know I suck. But I follow orders, listen to the experienced players, and score a few victories here and there, kill assists, and savior kills.

--- Ah well CW is not exactly a newbe friendly place... you will get stomped a lot...
And now I place a bet here: You will get 1-2 offers of community "wardens" to join them ingame and learn a bit... accept that offer and what did Deckard Cain said? Stay awhile and listen.

My style is poke and shoot, or LRM support at range, I like ppcs and ER lasers, getting the hang of rotary acs, love AC5 and LRM boats. just not sure what is average damage and what I can do to improve it without overheating too quick.

Learn what Ghostheat is. Temper your triggerfinger and practice a lot. It is all about game-experience, propper builds (game experience) and INGAME experience in form of skilltree. Here again: https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/ get at least 2x2% cool run and a lot of -0.75% heatgen.

My favorite action is up against KCOM, although I know I am gonna get clobbered, I see what works what doesn't. but firing a pair of ac5 center mass into a rushing heavy or medium, I know I should be doing some red on that body, but I don't see much effect on them. I understand they are very well organized, trained, and probably got great mech load outs, but wow, I had to shake my head.

You shake your head, they shake their bodies... Typical method to spread dmg, while beeing under fire shake your torso like there is no tomorrow. It spreads the damge over CT RT LT and Arms... Essential to survive high alphas...
As example with your weapons: You LRM has a lot of spread... your ERLL has a burntime of 1.1 seconds. So you have to focus on enemies CT for this time to do full damage on it. Easy if he is standing still. Not that easy if he is moving. Not possible if he is moving and shaking his torso from left to the right... as for your AC5: great weapon but 2x5 DMG on an CT with over 100 Armor... you will need some more well placed shots to see the effect... Or boat them. There is a reason, why (U)AC5 are effective when boated.

I love KCOM, don't know them personally, but when I see them pop up on the enemy side, everyone goes "Oh SH*t" I laugh to myself because I know from experience, any unit that provokes that reaction, epitomizes everything that make the battletech universe great.

So I guess what can I do to make these weapons more effective? some of these build I used on other games, so jeesh, why does it seem like I might as well be shooting spit balls, Some of the skill tree stuff is self explanatory but am I missing something here?

Is it the mech quirks? skill sets, bad choice weapon (AC5x2 Really?) maybe something in the build holding them back, what it is. Don't tell me its skill, anybody that runs in enemy fire center mass should take punishment, makes sense to me?

KAMUT

Not skill, but experience... MWO is not MW4... or MW3...
Learn basics like DMG-Speading (under fire? SHAKE YOUR BODY),
learn more about weapons (1 lrm5 is not that good, ERLL is a weak weapon),
learn every. single. place. on. every. single. map,
learn the usual tactics in THIS game,
MAYBE: Learn it in Quickplay. CW is hard and unfair to new players.

Its all about EXP, not skill
EDIT: At the beginning. Skill IS a big thing, but only later, when you learnd all the basics. Wanna funny and basic tactic lesson? Look here:
https://mwomercs.com...ics-101-comics/

Edited by Nerokar, 02 August 2017 - 12:23 AM.

#5 KAMUT

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:14 AM

Thanks, that is very useful information

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

Also, CASE does nothing when you have an Inner Sphere XL engine. If that side torso is destroyed then you're dead regardless, all you're doing is spending a tonne on nothing. Drop the CASE, move the AC5 ammo to the legs (popular choice because if the ammo explodes the damage won't pre-maturely blow up your engine) and spend that extra tonne on anything else

#7 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hey KAMUT, Welcome to MWO.

Glad to see you enjoy droppin' against us, I do not speak for my unit, merely myself, but I too've always enjoyed a good challenge, and would be happy to help where I can. For that mech posted, well, it's a ranged combatant through an through, an most fights develop around the 400m mark I've found. There are a few maps like Alpine Peaks or Grim Plexus where you can use that range to good advantage, but for the majority of engagements, we'll get in close where that advantage turns against you. Now, I love me some Ac 5s, but Er large lasers burn too hot for a brawl, and an lrms 5 is more of a ranged harrassment and support weapon that takes some work to use well. I'm not sayin' it's a bad design choice, an I've a Zues set up lrm 5, dual ac5, an quad medium lasers. But inna brawl I'd rather an Srm 6, and most've what we do is brawling.

The idea being larger range weaponry spends more heat doing the same, or sometimes less damage, and heat is the one cap we're all stuck with. I can drop solo in my IS alt, sometimes even left completely alone against my opposition still get 200 damage outta each mech, cuz' they're built to put out serious damage afore they hit heat cap, by taking close range weaponry and using the map to get me into proper engagement range. Add in a cool shot an override, an I can go down fightin' gloriously even if my team abandons me inna push. (Which is why I joined my Unit inna first place, cuz they got my back, but you know, sometimes I just wanna play for the Inner Sphere.)

Anyways, I've some tactical guides posted Here and Here. For optimal tactics for your second mech, I'd suggest checking out how the opposition plays on the second post of the second guide. [228] plays a mean ranged match.

Friend me an if you see me on, send me a message. Not the best chat system, but I'd be happy to help out an show you what I know of brawling and the game in general.

~Leone, of Kell's Commandos

Edited by Leone, 05 August 2017 - 12:59 PM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 02 August 2017 - 12:37 AM, said:

Also, CASE does nothing when you have an Inner Sphere XL engine. If that side torso is destroyed then you're dead regardless, all you're doing is spending a tonne on nothing. Drop the CASE, move the AC5 ammo to the legs (popular choice because if the ammo explodes the damage won't pre-maturely blow up your engine) and spend that extra tonne on anything else

(In MWO)

(Previous MW games and Battletech, it does a lot. Here, it does nothing for an XL engine [as of the removal of repair and rearm])

Also: Arms is another choice for ammo

Edited by Koniving, 05 August 2017 - 02:56 PM.

#9 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

I've only been playing since last October, I am not a whale, but I spend money once in a while... and one thing I've learned about FP is you have to bring elite mechs. Your heat has to be tuned, your cooldowns have to be epic, and you have to be able to roll damage across your chassis. Make sure you listen to the guys on coms, and drop 4 SP into "Recognize Fail". When you win, look at your match stats, look who was with you. Next time you drop, stick next to the guys that are dropping 1000 damage, and help, even if it's in a Vindy with dual laser ams. You will get farther by not failing than you will by trying to win before your 'mech's are mastered. And you will get respect for being a good wingman. And you will learn what the real tough guys know. Use your Premium time to master the gear on your drop decks. Not to say I'm a good player in any way, but I once held a domination victory in a Panther by holding the right spot with dual ams while the last 4 on our team rallied as I held the PPC fire button down (accurately) and we came back from hell to win. Rule one: DON'T PANIC.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

Indeed. That's been the biggest thing in MWO. Remain calm.

#11 KAMUT

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

I did modify her based on the recommendations I received here. and did notice a marked improvement. Plus the skills buff seem to make a difference, Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users