• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:00 AM

Petey’s Bog

Swartklip

Lyran Commonwealth

27 August 3066

The BattleMech moved as though its myomers and actuators were malfunctioning. Almost as though the fusion reactor at the heart of his Thanatos was operating at a “keep it warm, hon, I’ll be right back” mode. Despite himself, MechWarrior Felix Grimstead glanced at the readouts to his right, peering through the condensation starting to fog up the view-plate on his neurohelmet. Readouts looked fine, as he knew they would. He reached up and tried to splash away some water droplets. His teeth ached from the endless grinding.

“Hon, I’ll be right back. Ha! Right. ‘Right back’ like that DropShip captain said he’d be to pick me up. A year later! Three years ago!”

Anger slopped around the cockpit like the muck his seventy-five-ton BattleMech slogged through. Waves of sludge undulated in sickly currents. But if his ’Mech, Hangover , stopped moving, the water also stopped sloshing in an astonishingly short time, as though a growth below it was actively seeking to quiet the waters and let it go back to sleep.

“Now isn’t that just the sweetest thought. Right, hon?”

He wasn’t angry. Not really. After all, the annual parties the locals were starting to throw for his “goodbye” were getting epic. He’d lost most of a week last month and somehow wasn’t on the yearly DropShip run that brought high-price commodities on-world. No, not really upset about that. Not even about traipsing through a vile, Crocodilia-, leech-, and brainsucker-infested swamp the locals lovingly called Petey’s Bog.

“’Cause if you name it after a fun-loving bat-crazy uncle, that’ll make it better, right, hon?”

He reached out and patted the cockpit console like it was a favorite hound. No, not a favorite dog. An apocalypse dog, he thought, laughing out loud. Like in one those end-of-the-universe holovids where the dog stays by your side and saves you from the end times somehow. Yeah. Exactly like that. The anger wasn’t for him. It was for his ride. The Hangover was getting filthy, not to mention the sludge seeping past armor plates would clog up actuators and myomer bundles. Likely take a week just to dry out, and another three to clean it all up.

Despite the supposed hermetically sealed nature of the cockpit, the humidity was through the roof, and rivulets of sweat tracked down into several uncomfortable places. Not to mention the stink. Didn’t matter if his gauges told him the scrubbers were keeping the atmosphere out. His nose knew better. It always did.

“Gonna make those raiders pay, hon. Gonna make ’em pay for forcing us out into this dank, hot-as-Satan’s—”

A stretch of swamp vanished in the concussive blast of long-range missiles that abruptly corkscrewed down through the steaming sky. Waterlogged wood exploded in spongy splinters that sprayed his Thanatos like so much wooden hail, but ultimately left no damage. The blast wave frothed water and forced him to adjust his pedalwork as his BattleMech took a step backward with its back-canted legs to ensure he’d stay upright.

They fired without getting a real bead on my location. That’s gonna cost ’em. He pushed the throttle full-forward and swung the ’Mech’s arms like battering rams to finish bashing through the mess the raiders’ volley created. Then he strode into a relative clearing, sensors stabbing out to find his foes.

Seeking for the BattleMech hidden half a kilometer away, Felix almost missed the Hunchback squatting behind a titanic cypress. It rose from its position almost too quickly and stumbled as the pilot didn’t take the boggy ground into consideration.

Nice trap. But I’ll take a little luck on my side every time. With trained ease Felix raised the BattleMech’s right arm and smoothly triggered his Thanatos’s secret weapon: seventy rockets sprouted on columns of flame, and the Hunchback vanished under a cacophony of bursting explosions and light.

THANATOS “Hangover”

The coming of the Clans and their OmniMech technology changed the face of warfare within the Inner Sphere. Within a decade, various Houses were fielding their own OmniMechs, though often they were, at best, poor copies of Clan designs. Nevertheless it constituted a lucrative environment, and StarCorps Industries joined the fray, developing the Thanatos with that same vaunted tech. However, by the time of the ’Mech’s field trials, the market had shrunk considerably, with neither the Lyran Alliance Armed Forces nor the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth espousing interest. With adroit agility, StarCorps revamped the Thanatos into a standard BattleMech.

MechWarrior Felix Grimstead is still not sure he remembers exactly how he came to pilot the Hangover. Then again, he doesn’t often remember all the wrong places he’s been or all of the wrong people he’s met. He even thinks his BattleMech once had a different name. But after several years of work on the planet of Swartklip, where he continues to boast he’ll be leaving but somehow never does, the new moniker seemed appropriate.

During an extended engagement with raiders, a combination of damage and low supplies forced him to refit the ’Mech with a bevy of rocket launchers. In fact, several such abysmal maintenance cycles forced him to revamp the weapon configuration several times, which ultimately gave him the most sophisticated rocket-launcher-armed BattleMech in the Inner Sphere—a joke he loves delivering in a bar or on a victorious battlefield.

Written by Randall Neil Bills

Catalyst Game Labs

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

Oooooooooooh Posted Image

#3 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hell yeah.

#4 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

confused

#5 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostYumoshiri, on 03 August 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Shwiiiiiing

Fixed.

#6 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

Gas Guzzler.....you dirty bird you...

#7 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

nice a mech I can wait till it comes out on Cbills. I like it but not enough to throw real moneys at now if it were a champion that would be a different story.

#8 -Skyrider-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 157 posts
  • Locationall about that Seattle life

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

well its nice but the clans still need a 20 tonner

#9 RickWildstar

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIscandar

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Why does PGI not get such lore pieces made for all the mechs? Further link to it from the ingame store so people can read a bit about a mech they are buying if they want to. Easy fixes to increase the feeling of actually being in the Battletech universe. Must be lost tech like all the planet descriptions in fp or whatever it is called now.

#10 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

Wow, that was surprising!

I wonder what PGI will do about the C3 that comes built-in this mech...

#11 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

View PostCK16, on 03 August 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Gas Guzzler.....you dirty bird you...

LOL

Piranha will probably be next I'm sure :)

#12 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostOdanan, on 03 August 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Like I said before . . . replace it . . . just like they've replaced A-Pods, B-Pods, Yen Lo's melee weapon, and other things they haven't implemented into MWO. It never was (and obviously won't be) the show stopping thing you've always made it out to be.

#13 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

View PostSereglach, on 03 August 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

Like I said before . . . replace it . . . just like they've replaced A-Pods, B-Pods, Yen Lo's melee weapon, and other things they haven't implemented into MWO. It never was (and obviously won't be) the show stopping thing you've always made it out to be.

Yeah I'm more interested to see what they do about that LB20. I wonder if they will just name it the -4TP and do an AC20 instead.

#14 Sideshow031

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

I wasn't ready. time to relive MW4:mercs. next up, I'll take a Fafnir

#15 LanXang

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

No Piranha or Hellion?

poop

#16 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Thanatos.
The battlemech that everyone (for some bloody reason) thinks is an omnimech.

Well... It's gonna be a IS heavy with ECM that isn't a Cataphract, so that's something?

#17 Maelstrum

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

75 tonner with ECM and JJ... me likey!
But the bulky STs might make him very vulnerable.

#18 STEEL JUSTICE

• PipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 23 posts

I was waiting this mech i am so happy.
Next 1 Hauptmann.

Edited by STEEL JUSTICE, 03 August 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#19 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 03 August 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

Yeah I'm more interested to see what they do about that LB20. I wonder if they will just name it the -4TP and do an AC20 instead.

That or a UAC20, much like the NSR-9SS becoming the NSR-9S. Call it the THS-4TT, just to be extra confusing.

Then take the THS-6S and just swap the IJJs for regular JJS, and call it the THS-6SP or THS-6SS.

#20 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

View PostOdanan, on 03 August 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

They will probably give it a sensor range boost similar to what the Cyclops has, since C3 is pointless in MWO, because any mech can already share target info without special equipment.

That being said, I will probably buy this one, although I am curious if it will be the original prototype omni-variants, or the final production BATTLEMECHS?

Will the pre-order page be up today?

Edited by Ed Steele, 03 August 2017 - 10:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users