Calling Targets

8 replies to this topic

#1 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

I always run with coms, so even though I'm a potato I get asked to call targets all the time. I know the more experienced Warriors will have better input than me, and I invite that, but as a general new guy rule:

1) Watch the minimap.
2) Call against threats to the flank- left/right wing only when necessary.
3) When the squirrel shows up on the rear, ask two or three mech's to go, tell the rest to focus on the firing line.
4) If you see a lone assault wandering around, call it and pound the hell out of it.
5) Tell folks not to open up with LRMS until the target is inside 730m
6) Agree on a rally point, don't insist on a rally point, but if a rally point is called, go there.
7) If you hear "Affirmative" when you make a call, COMMIT. Don't switch.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:09 PM

if someone asks you to call targets they usuay mean if you want other people to shoot at your target when you see a Mech, press R to target it, the "call" it in VOIP, the most effective format to do this in would be:

if you see an Adder with a D above it in grid B4, say "Delta, Adder, Bravo 4"

if you see a Timber Wolf with an A above its head in g6, say "Alpha, Timber Wolf, Golf 6"

now lets say this is a faction play match and after the team focus fires those 2 killing them you see a Kodiak with CC above its head in A1, it is smoking and you notice it has already lost its left torso and its right torso is already out of armor and has red internals, as it is incredibly unlikely it would have a standard engine, to tell your allies how to eliminate this Mech as efficently as possible include that information so say something to the effect of "Charley Charley, Kodiak, Alpha 1, RT for easy kill"

note I am using the NATO phoenetic alphabet, the reason for this is some letters sound simular, it is possible to mistake B, C, D, E, G, J, P, T, V, and Z ( if pronounced as the Americian "Zee", not so much with my Brittish "Zed") for any of those, same as S and F or M and N, so if you say a word to represent that letter that massivly reduces the chances of misunderstandings.
I know the NATO alphabet so use that, if you do not just pick any word, "Fiona" "Flapjack", or "Ford" would work just as well as "Foxtrot", and are far better than just saying F because there is a good chance people would think you need help with S if you just say "help with F"

the reason I sugest putting in the grid location is so people can quickly see if they are in a position to help, there is no point people on the far side of the map or even the wrong side of a hill, trying to target the Mech you need help with.

There is a hotkey to bring up the designations for all your team and currently targeted enemies, I think the default is "Q" but I am not sure because I remapped it years ago which helps if someone just called a target.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 05 August 2017 - 11:12 PM.

#3 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

Always press R. It let's your team know where enemies are, which can help them move to support wisely and helps to focus fire.

On that note, I always treat a called target as a preference, not a mandate. If I can shoot the called target, I will. If others present themselves more readily, and I'd have to move significantly or across enemy fire to get to the specified one, it isn't happening, that seems only sensible.
However, if you can shoot the chosen enemy, you should.

#4 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

Gotta find a way to make it simpler for Puglandia. Im guessing half dont even have voip active and i know they dont read text.

#5 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

That's where pressing R becomes even more crucial. For those that aren't reading text (most people), aren't listening to chat (too many people), or don't understand the language, at least they can see the enemy popping up on their map when you press R.

When using voip, I try to keep things simple, Nato (or similar) call signs for grids and target designations, vulnerable points, warnings about enemy pushes and concentrations, etc.
More often than not, all information is totally ignored, but you must try for the massive benefit when it is paid attention to. (actually, the vulnerability notices tend to get action...hmm)

#6 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,965 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

don't spam the command wheel with "negative" the whole flipping match

don't bad mouth the team then refuse to take command
if you want to bad mouth your own team go into the bathroom and talk at the mirror

don't bait people into an argument then demand to have that person banned

remember these suggestions

teams/units have priority when it comes to taking command
if they decide to relinquish or not take command then you can step in (but ask first)
offer to help if you can

first plan takes priority in games (why? because there is not enough time to argue if you have another plan speak up first or wait for the next drop)

HTHs

#7 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

This is very helpful, thank you.

#8 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:46 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 05 August 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

now lets say this is a faction play match and after the team focus fires those 2 killing them you see a Kodiak with CC above its head in A1, it is smoking and you notice it has already lost its left torso and its right torso is already out of armor and has red internals, as it is incredibly unlikely it would have a standard engine, to tell your allies how to eliminate this Mech as efficently as possible include that information so say something to the effect of "Charley Charley, Kodiak, Alpha 1, RT for easy kill"

This really needs to be emphasized, and personally I even take it a little bit further.

"Target Delta, Centurion, Cored out"

"Target Hotel, Mist Lynx, Echo 5 moving to Echo 6, Both legs are open"

"Target Libra, Catapult, Right Torso is open"

It's always good to point out when critical parts of a mech are open -- meaning they have no armor remaining. You might not be in a position to finish off that part, but somebody else might, and component destruction is huge.

#9 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

Doesn't hurt to learn the NATO alphabet: https://en.wikipedia...onetic_alphabet

People with background in aviation, military or ham radio are likely to know it already, so it is widely used and understood.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users