Newer Player, Cw Feels Bad

65 replies to this topic

#21 MakesBadChoices

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

View PostLordLeto, on 06 August 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

The best place to start is finding a group.

Yes, and that, haha.

#22 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

View PostMakesBadChoices, on 06 August 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

So, I hear you on my mechs being ill suited for it, and rather expected it as it feels very pokey with all the clan laser I've been seeing. But I've seen entire IS teams get wiped every time (and one ill-suited mech shouldn't result in total wipes). What I'm really nailing towards here is the IS design envelope narrower?

Yes, the IS design window is narrower. Clan Omnis can't change engines, so clan speeds/loadouts tend to be more standardized. The teams I play FW with tend to favor heavies 70+ kph, and mediums 100-120+ kph, heat in the 1.20 or better range. With so much variety in IS mechs, best to find a team you like to drop with, then try to get your mechs to fit their style. And we love to brawl with srms and lpls.

#23 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:04 AM

It is not that much important which mech you drive in CW, but that the team you are playing with has a plan and the same range of mechs.

If you are a brawler, but half of the team is long range, it is clear that a coordinated enemy will destroy you hard and fast.

I understand that Pugs take many long range mechs with them, but it is not a really good choice for CW. Better is going in LFG or start a group, gather at least 6-8 pilots and then discuss BEFORE the match what mechs and what range you will take.

In attack mode there is no need for lrms or long range, mid range to brawl are the best choices for attaack, also for defense (except boreal vault, but thats a clanner win map).

Communication and coordination are OP, but solo dropping pugs tend to be silent, its way too easy for enemies to take them out: One is poking, 4 are hiding, rest is firing lrms on targets behind cover. That one who pokes is dead after few seconds, the other ones dont know what to do and so on...

Build 2 drop decks for the start:

First drop deck with mid range to brawl, 2nd drop deck with long range (no lrms!).

Learn on which maps long range are essential (Alpine Peaks, Boreal Vault, sometimes Grim Plexus)

Best thing as IS is to push as a whole team because clanner are mostly long range with high amount of heat generation. If you give them time to cool down it is THEiR advatage, not yours on IS side.

Good mechs for CW:

Warhammer (Dakka)
Grasshopper (Large Pulse)
Quickdraw (Large Pulse)
Marauder (Dakka or Large Pulse)
Cyclops (Brawler!)
Orion (Brawler)
Battlemaster (Large Pulse and/or ERLL)
Dragon (Large Pulse/Dakka)

Rules:
1. If you push, then ALL have to push
2. If you poke, ALL have to poke
3. TALK to each other!
4. call targets!

Feel free to add me in friend's list, i am always looking for players in LFG when i play CW and we mostly dont drop below 6-8 pilots.

I hope this helps! See you on battlefield o7

#24 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

fw Or cw Or what ever the hell its called now.. is bad.. and has been bad..

Its nothing more then quick play with 4 spawns...

then they went and made the quick drop modes but with the 4 lifes... and that got a little better...

but yeah.. Id avoid that all together

they had the right idea but they didn't finish the concept (you can make a lot more money faster in quick drop anyway )

#25 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 07 August 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

fw Or cw Or what ever the hell its called now.. is bad.. and has been bad..

then they went and made the quick drop modes but with the 4 lifes... and that got a little better...

but yeah.. Id avoid that all together

they had the right idea but they didn't finish the concept (you can make a lot more money faster in quick drop anyway )

Play what you like, i personally like CW, because QP is too fast over. It feels not like a big hard battle.

My money earnings is really ok in CW, normally i do between 800.00 and 1.200.000 cbills per match without premium time, after an evening playing CW, i have about 5-7.000.000 cbills earned.

And cw is still under development, the last improvments were not bad, i enjoy it to face the clanners as IS loyalists :)

In my post before i forgot something important:

Never never NEVER reinforce!

Trust me, you make more damage if you wait for the new wave to gather up and the chances for a win are better too.

#26 Don T

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:34 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 07 August 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

Wrong. Maybe that'¨s why you lose a lot... cause you reinforce.

And about more C-Bills in QP... Wrong. I can make lots more in CW with my group.

#27 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:06 AM

Don't sweet it.
Cw/ FW/ FP or what ever name Russ came up for it recently has no Matchmaker at all that balances playerskill.
So even if you feel you are doing decently let me assure you, you are nothing but a tasty treat to the guys and girls roming the hard dusty roads in Fa(u)ction Warfare.

The basic strategies differ quite a bit.
And there you see that a coordinated, trained Team goes far over > Team on Voicecom > Team with Chatcom > singlepayer Veteran > normal singleplayer

And even if you do "pretty well after 80h" or roughly 4 games per hour that is ~320 drops you are not even close to 10% of the guys that do well in FP.

To cut to the core, either get realy involved in an organized team or prepare to get rect over and over again while grinding towards the few rewards you get for playing FP that way.

#28 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostMakesBadChoices, on 06 August 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

Thanks for the tips guys, the common theme seems to be that I need to retool for generally longer range engagements after perusing the builds you guys are putting forth. I guess I had too much fun brawling in quick-play!

As for the non-meta chassis (arrrgh!), at least I got to have a blast in the other queues. :P

I'll try out the pokey-long range style of play to see how like it. Laser vomit never really felt fun to me, which is I guess why I've gravitated towards brawling.

Yes...you have "made some bad choices" in terms of mechs and builds...(C'mon SOMEBODY HAD TO JUMP ON THAT...it's his callsign after all)....but not all hope is lost....lots of solid advice given here. Get your builds together, drop with a group and just work on improving....we all started where you are with CW...it's a learning curve

#29 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

I like seeing people from both sides trying to help a new guy!

...because we've all been there!

Seriously, teamwork is OP in CW, the more people on your team have bought in to "the plan" (whatever it is) and bring mechs to do their part, the easier it will be to execute.

I didn't look over your builds too carefully, but didn't see an overload of LRMs, *that* is a very good sign! :D

My suggestion is to find players you like dropping with. if you can get guys with whom you can jive with, stick with them and learn their builds and techniques... Just remember in the long run they may not be perfect, but its better to be part of a team!

CW takes *a lot* of play and you'll ultimately find that when you get your feet under you that you'll still get rolled (just hopefully not as often). Most of us play for the build up. There is nothing like a 25-30 minute game that comes down to the last mechs/last minute and your blood is pumping, even if you're out of mechs and just cheering on your teammates.

Unfortunately those games are often few and far between, but thats what most of us chase, not mechbays or cbills, or even necessarily wins! It's that rush that comes from slogging through a tough match, tooth and nail.

#30 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

What everyone has been saying is completely correct, find a group of people to play with. Meta is important, but if you have a group who's dropping the worst builds possible, but coordinate incredibly well, they can out perform any uncoordinated group who are all bringing the perfect meta builds.

#31 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

View PostBishop Six, on 07 August 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

i do between 800.00 and 1.200.000 cbills per match without premium time,

this is true... its a solid million per match... but matchs take 40 min,

where i can do 4 ten min matches in the same time @ 200k a piece and it can be 189,000cbills in 2 and half min

thats why i like it.. granted.. i have a lot of hero's, champs, and speicals so maybe that holds to me because of my style...

Ive fine tuned cbill income... although i must admit since the new weapons ive blown a half a billion cbills like it was nothing...

View PostDon T, on 07 August 2017 - 02:34 AM, said:

Wrong. Maybe that'¨s why you lose a lot... cause you reinforce.

And about more C-Bills in QP... Wrong. I can make lots more in CW with my group.

there's nothing i like more then a challenge put your money where your mouth is mech jock...

No one likes getting spanked by a 19.ton bane (you wouldn't be the first)

#32 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

heres nats list of things you need to drop successfully in cw.
  • a group with a 3rdparty coicecomms software helping you to coordinate before and during the match. mic's not required, see frr hub for more details.
  • think of cw as having a minimum speed limit of 70kph. going at least that speed will let you stay with your group easier, since you are less likely to be outrun by other heavies at that speed, (if you find you understand the game super well, and you know its appropriate for said match and mode, you may break the speed limit. newbies... dont break the speed limit).
  • midrange-brawl for days. a midrange deck, and by mid i mean 3-500m range deck, will work wonders. lbx10s, lpl, laservomit (forgoe erml for laservomit since youll probably end up brawling at some point anyways, just use regular mediums), those are your bread and butter as an inner sphere pilot in cw.
  • an understanding of your opponents mechs. i HIGHLY reccomend that if your innersphere, you take out some clan mechs in qp every now and then, even trials. clans, same with IS mechs. people claim this and that is op, but when you understand the other teams equipment, you know instinctively how to fight it. for example, i didnt think losding a side torso on a c-xl meant anything, until i took out a hellbringer with laservomit and lost a side torso. i remebered that hampered my ability to fight severely, and now i take sts when their available and its fast and easy, instead of focusing ct only. those details get noticed when you try the other sides stuff out.

#33 MakesBadChoices

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

Actually, taking the other side's mechs for a spin sounds about right at this point. The Timberwolf model in particular has really irked me fighting against it and I think I'll start with understanding how that one ticks...

I don't think any other clan mech really irked me as much.

#34 Don T

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 07 August 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

this is true... its a solid million per match... but matchs take 40 min,

where i can do 4 ten min matches in the same time @ 200k a piece and it can be 189,000cbills in 2 and half min

See that's where you are so wrong.. and I doubt you can beat me in a 1 on 1 when you don't even understand the game mechanics..

I can earn 1.3 mill (incl bonuses) on Domination and Conquest maps in 10 minutes fighting with my team.

Dunking an Invasion assault takes like 10 minutes.

Only difficult map mode is defence on Invasion maps.. takes like 20 minutes to get out of the gates and farm all the mechs in 2 waves.

Posted Image

look.. 750k in 5 minutes incursion map... instadrop cause I like a challenge and play Clan...

Do you feel stupid now?

Edited by Don T, 07 August 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#35 MakesBadChoices

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

Just out of curiosity, how does one make over 700k with no kills or assists?
(not sarcasm)

#36 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostMakesBadChoices, on 07 August 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity, how does one make over 700k with no kills or assists?
(not sarcasm)

Its called incursion base rush.

#37 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 07 August 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

Its called incursion base rush.

Yeah, the incursion game mode is the one mode right now that really pays to focus objectives. And it really benefits the guys that focus the NPCs and not necessarily the team as a whole.

Seeing as you can't *choose* incursion in FP, thats a bit of false advertising since you could hypothetically not get incursion for days and conversely get skirmish on Alpine/Polar repeatedly (notorious pug turtle traps).

Don't get me wrong, you *can* make money in FP, but I personally do not find it fun or gratifying to simply grind objectives or base rush, unless the enemy would pose a challenge to this tactic.

Edited by MovinTarget, 07 August 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#38 Don T

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

Yeah...

I admit that if you are not in a 12 man hellbent on conquering a planet...

You can't go for "Dunks" because just 3 or 4 PUGs in your group makes your tactics on Domi and Conquest unusable...

But still better C-Bills in FP IMO

But then again.. I am a veteran... I have "All" the mechs.. and a good unit.

#39 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:42 AM

View PostDon T, on 07 August 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

See that's where you are so wrong.. and I doubt you can beat me in a 1 on 1 when you don't even understand the game mechanics..

I can earn 1.3 mill (incl bonuses) on Domination and Conquest maps in 10 minutes fighting with my team.

Dunking an Invasion assault takes like 10 minutes.

Only difficult map mode is defence on Invasion maps.. takes like 20 minutes to get out of the gates and farm all the mechs in 2 waves.

Posted Image

look.. 750k in 5 minutes incursion map... instadrop cause I like a challenge and play Clan...

Do you feel stupid now?

no i dont... because you spend 40 min in a team speak server trying to organize your friends

Im not questing if you can make more money as a group,
and not everyone is running primo time

Posted Image

not everyone is exploiting the game with large groups of people to farm other real pilots...

sweetheart

View PostDon T, on 07 August 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

and I doubt you can beat me in a 1 on 1

Do you feel stupid now?

anytime you want... Im sure youll cry glitched locust like ever one else does hahahhhhahahhaa

#40 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:32 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 08 August 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

anytime you want... Im sure youll cry glitched locust like ever one else does hahahhhhahahhaa

The further you progress into skill the less 'glitchy' fast mechs become. Especially when you have smth like dual gaussPosted Image

Edited by denAirwalkerrr, 08 August 2017 - 03:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users