• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:56 AM

So the debate of the Thanatos....

Posted Image

https://mwomercs.com/thanatos

First know your mech, it is not an omnimech and it is highly unlikely that it will have 360 torso twist.
- http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thanatos -

So this mech has had me thinking while looking at the feedback over the past week or so. To me it almost feels like the Bushwacker in that it has such mixed and varied predictions. Also it is simular in loadouts that can nor boat single weapon types on most variants (which is fine, we already have energy boat covered plenty for the IS at 75t). Also it ends up being probably the most agile 75t in game with up to 5 jump jets and some varriants able to bring a 400 engine.

So what do you guys feel this one brings different then what we already have in game both in general sense and for the Innersphere?

Edited by CK16, 09 August 2017 - 06:04 AM.

#2 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:00 AM

No, same stale game.

#3 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:08 AM

No - it looks like the hitboxes will be colossally huge, the hardpoints want you to expose a big area of your Mechs surface, its speed is to low to break the hitreg, maybe the JJs help somewhat.
It will find some adorers that use it in some niches and thats it after the initial wave ebbs down.

Edited by Thorqemada, 09 August 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#4 Evantas

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

It's the only mech I've seen with ECMs and JJs in most variants though, think that's the main difference.

In terms of hard points, it's actually quite low compared to Warhammer and others.

#5 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

nope.

Not enough firepower to be worthwhile, what exactly can you fit in 2b or 4e(5 for hero) hardpoints??

Best youll get is 5s with dual gauss and ecm, hardly a game changer.
or
4s or 4p or hero with dual hppc, again not a game changer.
or
dual uac10 on 5s below cockpit which is also inside shoulders aka worse mad dog hero.

Only thing that can save it is quirkening.

Edited by davoodoo, 09 August 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#6 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

Does it have 4 legs?
No?

I think i've said my piece.

#7 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:17 AM

Reminds me of the Uziel... very big torso all around which usually spells doom in this game. But perhaps it can take it and depending on loadout losing a ST might be ok.

#8 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:21 AM

It will be great fun running 90 kph and having JJ on a 75 ton Mech, ECM is also nice, but unless it gets substantial quirks it won't be a game changer. It is by no means a meta-Mech because geometry and hardpoints are just not good enough. (Also, I doubt that many people will make use of the large engine; I guess most will drop the rating and go for more guns and/or light engine - probably more effective but also bland).
Perhaps stealth armor and dual gauss is fun for a while, and perhaps jump snipers will like it. But I want the speed.

Btw., there are some very good IS heavy Mechs if you are willing to explore the world of BattleTech.

Edited by FLG 01, 09 August 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#9 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:23 AM

Nope. It will require major quirk intervention.

Without quirks it'll be a 75t Uziel.

#10 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostAggravated Assault Mech, on 09 August 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

Nope. It will require major quirk intervention.

Without quirks it'll be a 75t Uziel.

I dont think its fair comparison.
Uziel actually got decent amount of hardpoints for 50 tonner and they were also reasonably placed, but this thing here??
everything below cockpit and 4-5e is its limit...

Edited by davoodoo, 09 August 2017 - 06:28 AM.

#11 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, no. ECM doesnt make up for lower/non ideal hardpoint layouts (the 4S has 4E and 2M... that is super weak). It might just be okay if it gets decent quirks. Not going to be nearly as good as the Nova Cat, but we all already knew that.

View Postdavoodoo, on 09 August 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

Uziel actually got decent amount of hardpoints for 50 tonner and they were also reasonably placed, but this thing here??

It can do PPCs/ACs or Gauss vomit on the 4P, but yeah it didnt get a generous amount of hardpoints.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 09 August 2017 - 06:32 AM.

#12 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 August 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

Yeah, no. ECM doesnt make up for lower/non ideal hardpoint layouts (the 4S has 4E and 2M... that is super weak). It might just be okay if it gets decent quirks. Not going to be nearly as good as the Nova Cat, but we all already knew that.

It can do PPCs/ACs or Gauss vomit on the 4P, but yeah it didnt get a generous amount of hardpoints.

It depends on a few things, personally would like to see it have some good MRM quirks but nothing to crazy (we don't need an MRM20 having the cluster of SRM2's ect.....)

Part of me thinks it's also we get to locked into thinking of old and current meta's with out thinking outside the box. Boating smaller weapons isn't always the way to go (I still stand by say 2xATM12's on a Mad dog is better then 6xATM3/6's. If anything atleast I would say the Thanatos brings more then the Cataphract.

#13 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 09 August 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

Yep, in terms of hitboxes it'll be like a Cataphract or Victor if it's quirked well, and like an Uziel if it's not.

It can work around the hardpoints if it's quirked well, but if not there will be no saving it.

#14 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

No lol

All it will do is give the I.S a 75 ton mech that has higher hard points

#15 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

View PostCK16, on 09 August 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

It depends on a few things, personally would like to see it have some good MRM quirks but nothing to crazy (we don't need an MRM20 having the cluster of SRM2's ect.....)

Part of me thinks it's also we get to locked into thinking of old and current meta's with out thinking outside the box. Boating smaller weapons isn't always the way to go (I still stand by say 2xATM12's on a Mad dog is better then 6xATM3/6's. If anything atleast I would say the Thanatos brings more then the Cataphract.

No. A couple MRMs arent gonna be very good, because MRMs aren't very good.

Its ironic that you bring up the Cataphract, that would be a better heavy PPC poptart than the Thanatos. Its just going to be "okay", not a game changer. Not MCII/Mad IIC/SNV good.

#16 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:08 AM

Not really. The only really good part about it, other than the mounts, is ECM. And of course, the best variant is the hero one. But the hard points aren't really that great. Not very numerous.

#17 AphexTwin11

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 398 posts
  • LocationLooking right through you, with somniferous almond eyes

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostCK16, on 09 August 2017 - 05:56 AM, said:

Posted Image

First know your mech, it is not an omnimech and it is highly unlikely that it will have 360 torso twist.

So this mech has had me thinking while looking at the feedback over the past week or so. To me it almost feels like the Bushwacker in that it has such mixed and varied predictions. Also it is simular in loadouts that can nor boat single weapon types on most variants (which is fine, we already have energy boat covered plenty for the IS at 75t). Also it ends up being probably the most agile 75t in game with up to 5 jump jets and some varriants able to bring a 400 engine.

So what do you guys feel this one brings different then what we already have in game both in general sense and for the Innersphere?

Those hitboxes though - running an XL would be absolute suicide.

Even with an LFE or STD, it's still a walking barn door.

That said, I'll be curious to see how big/wide PGI actually makes it for in-game use.

Edited by AphexTwin11, 09 August 2017 - 07:22 AM.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:33 AM

Thanatos' legs are its most interesting feature.

Posted Image

#19 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:36 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 09 August 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

Thanatos' legs are its most interesting feature.

Posted Image

Same thing as the Crab.

But no I don't think so. The last pack didn't change much other than give IS their own Direwhale.

It's advantage is ECM. But other than that? No.

#20 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

View PostCK16, on 09 August 2017 - 05:56 AM, said:

Posted Image

It's a cavalry mech first and foremost, that means it is a mech that is designed around speed and firepower, not so much around defensive capabilities... something that needs a set of skills not found in your average mech jock in MWO, as it is not something that does well in the hide and poke game-play that seems to be accepted as the way to fight.

We have a few mechs that would fill that role, most notably the Dragon and to a lesser extent the Bushwacker. Like both of those, I think the Thanatos is going to be a mech that responds well in the hands of someone that is adept at using the arm hard points while looking in a different direction, much like the Dragon and Bushwacker do. This means it will likely be marginalized by the majority of the player-base as that is a skill set that is just not actively encouraged by game play at most levels of the game.

The likely hit boxes of the Thanatos are going to lend themselves well to a LFE or Standard engine, so I would expect a LFE in most of them to get the most speed and DHS possible into the frame. Is it going to be meta shifting or groundbreaking? No, not by a long shot. Will it be a nice addition for those that will have the skill set to make use of it? Yes, I suspect it will.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users