Tier Ranking Explained.

110 replies to this topic

#1 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:40 AM

After 2 years of playing. My take on the Tier Rankings are listed below. I'd like to see everyone else's opinion.

Its been my experience that within a single Tier there is a HUGE variation of skill.

Tier 1 : Average player that plays consistently for a long time.
Above average player that's played for a while
Elite player
Top 50 player

Tier 2: Average Player that plays consistently for a while
Above average player
Above average player that's slowly inching toward tier 1
Elite Player on his/her way to Tier 1

Tier 3: Average player that has been playing for a month
Above average player that has been playing for a couple weeks
New Elite player that has played 5 matches
Average Player
Below Average player that has figured out the basics of the game.
Below Average player that has inched there way across Tier 4
Relativly new player.
Very Casual battletech fan.

Tier 4: Former Potato that has learned to click the mouse.
New Player
Alt Account for a day

Tier 5: Rookie "Potato"

#2 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:56 AM

Tier 1s can also be below average; even just 0.90 W/L and 190 average matchscore is sufficient to reach Tier 1, if the player with those stats plays enough battles.

And there's plenty of bad players that boost themselves to Tier 1 by playing LRM boats, or using AMS a lot.

Edited by Zergling, 15 August 2017 - 02:57 AM.

#3 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:01 AM

I've seen players that have played for years in T4, and on the other side of the spectrum, I'm getting close to entering T1. That proves tiers don't matter a huge deal, because I should never be near the top tier in anything's MM. And I will accept any offers of zellbrigen to prove how terrible I am.

#4 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:14 AM

another thing to consider

if enough good players leave the game then a ton of bad players will get pushed up
to tier 1

so if you see me and my sub 200 dmg Mech don't blame me I know I should not be in tier 1

complain to PGI

#5 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:35 AM

View PostZergling, on 15 August 2017 - 02:56 AM, said:

Tier 1s can also be below average; even just 0.90 W/L and 190 average matchscore is sufficient to reach Tier 1, if the player with those stats plays enough battles.

And there's plenty of bad players that boost themselves to Tier 1 by playing LRM boats, or using AMS a lot.

I gotta say though, even with good stats it takes a long long ******* time to reach t1. It took me forever to climb through T2 with 1.8kdr 1.31wl. I've been playing since open beta, and i just became T1 , what 2 months ago. I dont think it is possible to be T1 without getting decent at gameplay. What i noticed though biggest failures in T1 usually comes in the form of tactics.

#6 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:45 AM

View PostLordhammer, on 15 August 2017 - 03:35 AM, said:

I gotta say though, even with good stats it takes a long long ******* time to reach t1. It took me forever to climb through T2 with 1.8kdr 1.31wl. I've been playing since open beta, and i just became T1 , what 2 months ago. I dont think it is possible to be T1 without getting decent at gameplay. What i noticed though biggest failures in T1 usually comes in the form of tactics.

I think it took me approximately 528 battles with 1.53 W/L and 313 average Match Score, to go from Tier 2 to 1.

A bad player is probably going to take thousands of battles to do that if they are only hitting 0.90 W/L and 190 average Match Score, but you have to remember they've had years, and many bads play many hundreds of battles per month.

It's pretty easy for a bad to increase their average Match Score up to around 250-300 just by boating LRMs and/or AMS.
Even if their W/L doesn't increase (which it almost never does), that would drastically reduce the amount of battles it takes to increase their Tier.

Edited by Zergling, 15 August 2017 - 03:46 AM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:55 AM

T5 includes newbies and "extra special" pilots. T2-4 includes up and coming players and casuals. T1 includes frequent players.

#8 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:45 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 15 August 2017 - 03:01 AM, said:

I've seen players that have played for years in T4, and on the other side of the spectrum, I'm getting close to entering T1. That proves tiers don't matter a huge deal, because I should never be near the top tier in anything's MM. And I will accept any offers of zellbrigen to prove how terrible I am.

Would you settle for a holmgang?

Winner gets the pride of being the worst player who least deserves their ill gotten tier........... wait..........hmmm.

Edited by Dago Red, 15 August 2017 - 07:42 AM.

#9 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

EXP bar

#10 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

View PostChagatay, on 15 August 2017 - 07:32 AM, said:

EXP bar

Its not exactly only an EXP bar. However it is doing a terrible job of sorting players. The games being played are terrible in quality.

#11 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 August 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

T5 includes newbies and "extra special" pilots. T2-4 includes up and coming players and casuals. T1 includes frequent players.

Basically this.

If you cannot get to T1 as a frequent player, there is something very... Very wrong with your play ability.

#12 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 August 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

Basically this.

If you cannot get to T1 as a frequent player, there is something very... Very wrong with your play ability.

you talk as if a frequent player is dropping in a 1v1, doesnt matter if that 1 player is the best player ever, if the rest of his team are a bunch of myopic windowlicking 6 fingered muppets then he is going to be on the losing team regardless and it will hurt his ranking.

just now finished a conquest game where we took over the nodes 1 at a time, doing a good job of taking them all, yet even with prompts our "team" seemingly wasnt concerned that 1 enemy player was waiting for us to move on and just retook those nodes, conquest yet again turned into skirmish with our team getting anhialated in the process, no amount of 1 "good player" could fix that. Examples like that bag of genius is at present commonplace.

Edited by Methanoid, 15 August 2017 - 08:50 AM.

#13 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostMethanoid, on 15 August 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

you talk as if a frequent player is dropping in a 1v1, doesnt matter if that 1 player is the best player ever, if the rest of his team are a bunch of myopic windowlicking 6 fingered muppets then he is going to be on the losing team regardless and it will hurt his ranking.

Everyone goes through the same teams as they go up in Tier; if you can't play well enough to go up in PSR Tier, then the problem lies with you, not your teammates.

just now finished a conquest game where we took over the nodes 1 at a time, doing a good job of taking them all, yet even with prompts our "team" seemingly wasnt concerned that 1 enemy player was waiting for us to move on and just retook those nodes, conquest yet again turned into skirmish with our team getting anhialated in the process, no amount of 1 "good player" could fix that. Examples like that bag of genius is at present commonplace.

You made a mistake thinking Conquest isn't Skirmish to begin with; kill first, then worry about caps.

Edited by Zergling, 15 August 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#14 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

You forgot the player group that rarely/never plays solo queue and thus their current Tier system may be bumped to Tier 1 by a good team even though their real Tier is 5.

#15 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostZergling, on 15 August 2017 - 02:56 AM, said:

How does AMS get players into Tier 1?

#16 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 15 August 2017 - 02:40 AM, said:

After 2 years of playing. My take on the Tier Rankings are listed below. I'd like to see everyone else's opinion.

Its been my experience that within a single Tier there is a HUGE variation of skill.

Tier 1 : Average player that plays consistently for a long time.
Above average player that's played for a while
Elite player
Top 50 player

Tier 2: Average Player that plays consistently for a while
Above average player
Above average player that's slowly inching toward tier 1
Elite Player on his/her way to Tier 1

Tier 3: Average player that has been playing for a month
Above average player that has been playing for a couple weeks
New Elite player that has played 5 matches
Average Player
Below Average player that has figured out the basics of the game.
Below Average player that has inched there way across Tier 4
Relativly new player.
Very Casual battletech fan.

Tier 4: Former Potato that has learned to click the mouse.
New Player
Alt Account for a day

Tier 5: Rookie "Potato"

My one question to you is this... Are you ranking these people based on before or after the change from ELO to this PSR tier system.

I ask because I honestly find the whole thing terribly biased because the change over used a persons data that they'd accumulated while playing in the ELO system, and some algorithm to interpret that data to determine the appropriate tier, so, someone like Sean Lang lets say, who'd probably been playing since Day One.

Because he'd had so much play time, and was able to get his stats up high enough because of said total play time, he gets automatically placed in Tier 1.

Then someone like me, who came into the game a couple years late, and because of a myriad of reasons, am unable to play more than two or three games a day, if I'm lucky... I only got a couple months worth of play time in before the switch to the PSR system, I literally got thrown to the bottom of Tier 5 because whatever algorithm PGI used looked at my stats and basically said "Oh, this guy is f*ucking terrible".

Of course I'm going to have bad stats. I didn't have two years worth of play time under my belt like some people managed to get before the switch to PSR.

I know how to play the game. I know how to aim and move and shoot all at the same time unlike some people who you have dubbed "rookie potatoes". I don't appreciate your lumping people like me in with the steering wheel under hive as some people have used the term before.

If I'd been started out in the middle of Tier 3, like everyone should have been, and I still ended up in Tier 5, then that'd be something totally different.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

You don't use old data from a different system when you're switching to a new system that ends up using the data differently than the old system.

#17 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

As I have said before, Tiers mean nothing to me. Calling all Tier 5's potatoes is just lazy minded thinking as you really need to look at the players stats to see how well they are playing. Not everyone (Like me) has time to play this game long and well enough to progress up like some do who have nothing else to do. I got a home to tend too, dogs to play with, a wife to spend time with and well, I could go on an on. If you progress upward from Tier 5, more power to you. Just do not use that in a slight against other players in the lower tiers.

#18 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

Uh, yes, one good player could have stopped that immediately by killing the 1 enemy player capping behind your backs

#19 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostAppogee, on 15 August 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

How does AMS get players into Tier 1?

PGI changed it a few patches back so AMS missile shootdowns count to matchscore.

It's quite easy to increase average MS by something like 50, by running AMS on every mech.

View PostChristophe Ivanov, on 15 August 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

As I have said before, Tiers mean nothing to me. Calling all Tier 5's potatoes is just lazy minded thinking as you really need to look at the players stats to see how well they are playing. Not everyone (Like me) has time to play this game long and well enough to progress up like some do who have nothing else to do. I got a home to tend too, dogs to play with, a wife to spend time with and well, I could go on an on. If you progress upward from Tier 5, more power to you. Just do not use that in a slight against other players in the lower tiers.

If a player has bad stats in low tiers then they are just a bad player, because the level of opposition in those Tiers is hilariously low.

#20 YasuoBloodMoon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

Explained...

T1 - Pealed Potato
T2 - Diced Potato
T3 - Stear Fry Potato
T4 - Potato MASH
T5 - The new shiny Potato

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users