Quickplay Unit Composition?

Question

6 replies to this topic

#1 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:35 AM

Hi guys, I am wondering what are the rules regarding the Unit Composition for Quickplay matches now? I remember last time it was 3 Lights, 3 Mediums, 3 Heavy and 3 Assaults. Has it changed cause I notice that I had a lot of Assaults in my team for the last few matches I played. Thanks for any info.

#2 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

They are groups, not units. And the limits are tonnage per different amounts of players.

I think these are current.
https://mwomercs.com...tonnage-changes

Notice that if your team has lots of small groups together, they can have a lot of tonnage.

Or in case you meant solo queue then there's no actual limits, MM will just try to have equal amount of different classes on each side.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 17 August 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#3 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

Smaller groups get more tonnage to play with and conversely larger groups less. Pls if you drop small, don't bring a lot of lights. Otherwise your team will be low on tonnage.

#4 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

Ok, actually I am trying to understand the current balance of the Quickplay Tonnage system. Is it possible to have a match of only Heavy mechs if there are 24 players selecting Heavy mechs while doing quickplay game search? How exactly is quickmatch balancing the different types of light, medium, heavy and assault now?

Are there cases of serious imbalance match ups?

#5 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

Do you talk about ordinary solo drops, not group quick play?

In solo the MM tries to have equal amout of different classes on both teams. As in for each assult in another team, there usually is another assult on the other team.

It might try to have about 3/3/3/3 but that's more of a quide, than any rule. The queue doesnt work as first in first out, so different classes have different queue time.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 17 August 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Its not 3/3/3/3 anymore, it just tries to match the classes as close as it can. 4 assaults 6 heavies and two other is not uncommon.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostReposter, on 17 August 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

Ok, actually I am trying to understand the current balance of the Quickplay Tonnage system. Is it possible to have a match of only Heavy mechs if there are 24 players selecting Heavy mechs while doing quickplay game search? How exactly is quickmatch balancing the different types of light, medium, heavy and assault now?

Are there cases of serious imbalance match ups?

Possible, yes, but you're looking at extremely rare (and both sides would be bogged down with heavies if they are available).

It generally "tries" to do 3 of each, however after the first 30 seconds it is willing to accept less of one in exchange for another and loosens the 'definition' of equal weight to equal 'classes' (more on that later) if it allows the match to be put together faster. After a minute it stops trying to match player tiers. After somewhere between 1:30 and 2, it stops trying to be "equal" in 'classes' for players altogether allowing for some really interesting (but sometimes bonkers) matches.

Note: Though it tries to match weight classes... Clan mechs have been classified as "5 tons heavier" than they actually are.
So you might see an IS 80 ton assault put into a match because it had a 75 ton Clanner if a 75 ton IS heavy of a similar "plaer skill rating" tier couldn't be found within the first 30 seconds. The game doesn't actually consider this to be equal in "weight" but equal in "class", even though one is an assault and one is a heavy, the game is just using the looser definition PGI had given with their statement of trying to balance the mechs within 5 tons of each other).

Note: The reverse is not true, you will (as of this time) never see an 80 ton Clan assault to balance a 75 ton IS heavy within the 30 second to 1 minute mark in building a match. (if it can't find a 75 ton Clan heavy -- which is very rare to not have one available -- it will hunt down a 70 ton Clan heavy instead.)
(This is referring to the "solo quickplay queue.")

Edited by Koniving, 18 August 2017 - 05:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users