Drop Deck Help: 60 Ton Anti-Light?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Stealthrider

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:06 PM

Trying to fine-tune my IS defense drop deck and I'm not quite sure what to put in my last slot. I'm lacking a solid anti-Light mech (ie a Streak boat, SPL boat, etc) and I'm not sure what would fit into this deck to fill that hole.

The other three mechs have been performing very well for me, despite being "unconventional," so I'm reluctant to change them out. They are as follows.

ZEUS-9S2
3xMRM20, 2xMPL

KGC-000B
2xSNPPC, 1xMRM40, 4xLMG

COM-2D
2xSRM4, 1xSRM2

The last slot has thus far been occupied by a RFL-5D (2xHPPC, 4xSL), but of course it's not exactly a light-killing machine. Other things I've tried are an SHD-2K (3xSPL, 3xSSRM6) which has yet to actually fight a light wave and is mediocre vs anything else or a RFL-3C (4xAC2, 2xML) which just replaces the 5D on hotter maps but otherwise fills the same awkward not-sure-what-role.

Should I just stick with the SHD despite the 5 ton waste? Is there a particular mech that would fit this niche that I should look into getting? Or should I just accept that I'll have the Light weakness? If so, what would best fit in that slot?

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:47 PM

Are you sure that a dedicated light killer isn't too much tradeof in a dropdeck ?
As you said you end up in "not sure what" builds when trying to do both in one build.

Best way to down a light is still to remove his leggs with spreadfire or frontload weapons.

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

Don't feel like you need to use every ton. It's better to take a potent 35 ton Mech than a sub-optimal 40, 45 or 50 ton Mech.

(My Conquest deck foregoes 40 tons, and I still do consistently high match scores in it.)

Your other three Mechs are, to be polite, quite sub-optimal. Try making BLR-2Cs, GHR-5Hs/TDRs/WHMs the mainstays of your deck.

Edited by Appogee, 18 August 2017 - 12:05 AM.

#4 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:57 AM

Your Rifleman build is the only somewhat useable build out of all the builds you posted.

A 100-ton assault mech with the firepower of a medium... I hope you are trolling.

#5 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:04 AM

QKD-5K with 6MPL and a huge XL will do the job quite nicely. QKD-4H with streaks sound like a possible choice too.
However, I'd recommend to optimise your deck a bit before getting them.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 18 August 2017 - 01:06 AM.

#6 Stealthrider

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:13 AM

The other three mechs have been performing more than adequately, thanks, and were not what I was asking about. They work for me. The King Crab I've tried all the meta and recommended builds and none of them lived up to the hype. I settled on this after experimenting with more MRMs, heavy PPCs, LPLs, trying out UAC20s and 10s, the 4 UAC5 build. It's not a huge aloha but its consistent damage, good at both openinf and finishing components and cool enough that I can bring air/arty without needing a dedicated coolshot slot. The Zeus I used to have as SRM6s/LPLs but its too fragile to really brawl with. The MRMs make it better at corner peeking while being clustered enough to be effective in a brawl still, and again it doesnt get too hot. The Commando is exactly what it needs to be. Fast, small and with enough power to be threatening.

I dont have that many mechs. I have a WHM-7S that I used to run in my deck with 5LLs, but it consistently failed to perform. Used to run a RVN-3L with 2ERLL, it too felt lacking. My other IS mechs are a RFL-3N, CTF-3L, UM-r60, SHD-2H, SHD-5M, CN9-A, HBK-GI, and MAD-3R which, again, felt underwhelming whenever I brought it on defense.

I appreciate the concern for my deck but I've played these mechs enough to know that they are what works for me. And I'd like to see the medium that can run two snubs and MRM40 or more without cooking itself. I've tried it on that Shadowhawk in QP, it's not pretty.

i'll look into Quickdraws, thanks. And yeah, maybe I'm worrying about nothing. Lost to a light rush earlier after holding off three waves, just couldnt kill them all before Omega dropped, so that's part of where this came from.

Edit: In hindsight I shouldnt have bothered listing the other mechs loadouts. I hoped it'd provide context for why I was looking for an anti-light focused mech, realizing now it only drew attention away from the actual question.

Edited by Stealthrider, 18 August 2017 - 04:42 AM.

#7 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

3 Lpl Quickdraw is pretty speedy and serviceable vs lights while also working against heavies.

6 MPL Quickdraw is good too if range is not a factor on the map.

Go down to 55 tons and bring a Griffin brawler or a dual uac 10 or dual lbx10 bushwhacker. Ballistics are good vs lights as duration isn't really a factor.

Or run light. I find the 6 erml cicada 2a useful vs everything almost everywhere

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

Other things I've tried are an SHD-2K (3xSPL, 3xSSRM6)

Drop the Streaks. With no tag/etc can be useless against Clan ECM lights.

2K 2 LPL and 3 SRM4+3tons. Skim armor off arms / 280XL Endo/Light Ferro /3JJ (optional)

#9 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Get a Kintaro with a mix of Streak and Regular SRMs?

#10 Stealthrider

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:12 AM

Thanks for the continued suggestions. Thus far I've tried the LPLs/SRMs Shadowhawk and it's been doing well enough, though it's not suited for hot maps. Taking the ballistics suggestion I threw a UAC/20, LPL and two MLs on my RFL-3N and it's been serviceable on those hotter maps, though it does sometimes get toasty itself. And of course, it's not as dedicated a light killer as a streak boat would be, but it's more useful overall.

For now I think this'll do, though I'm keeping the Quickdraw in mind as a future purchase. With my current C-Bill store I'm looking into a Cyclops, likely the A or P. I know, I know, Battlemasters are better and 5 tons lighter. I just like the Cyclops model better tbh.

#11 Alvar Von Kenesthor

• PipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:05 AM

Bushwacker P1: 2 S-SRM6s and 2 SRM6 w/Art or 2 MRM10s, no armor in the arms and the biggest Light engine you can fit.
It has the speed, armor, heat efficiency and firepower to be the best lighthunter in the game currently, at least for the IS.

Edited by Alvar Von Kenesthor, 20 August 2017 - 03:05 AM.

#12 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

Shad or Bushie, AC10 and 3xSRM6s.

The key to popping lights is one good clean hit. You've got a lot of spread damage DPS stuff in there. That's not going to kill lights well.

Light hunter IS builds are about having a single alpha that can pop a leg. You want something over 45pts in an alpha. Spread a bit is okay - IS SRM with Artemis works pretty well.

Shawk is a great light hunter in that build as it goes about 100 and has JJs plus is cool running.

#13 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

View PostAlvar Von Kenesthor, on 20 August 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

Bushwacker P1: 2 S-SRM6s and 2 SRM6 w/Art or 2 MRM10s, no armor in the arms and the biggest Light engine you can fit.
It has the speed, armor, heat efficiency and firepower to be the best lighthunter in the game currently, at least for the IS.
I 2nd that !

Not neccessary for the P1 modell .. but at least for this chassis as in my eyes its performing better as the Shadowhawks or Griffins !

I suggest that you test the light-hunter abilities of Shadowhawks, Bushwackers and other medium mechs like Griffins in SCOUTING !

If you dont want to upgrade your Commando to a heavier light and dont want to waste tonnage, you could also try a 60 ton DRAGON !

#14 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

I find a rifleman with two LBX-10's works well for me in this role. I put that loadout on a Legend Killer, but a rifleman-3N would probably do just as well. You could also try a dragon-5N with an ultra AC-10, 2 medium pulse, a streak srm-6, beagle probe, and a 295 engine.

#15 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

60 tons and anti-light capabilities?

The scope is narrow at 60 tons:
The Dragon is not gonna cut it, especially not anti-light.
A Rifleman with 2 AC10s or LBX might be good at legging lights.
A Quickdraw with 3 large pulse lasers profits from nasty quirks and rather focused damage.
Or you do something strange and try out a Griffin 2N carrying streaks and tag. High chance of being horrible, but I have never tested it.

Conclusion:
The best tool for the task is probably a pulse laser focused Quickdraw.

If you dont want to upgrade your Commando to a heavier light and dont want to waste tonnage, you could also try a 60 ton DRAGON !

You could also try a dragon-5N with an ultra AC-10, 2 medium pulse, a streak srm-6, beagle probe, and a 295 engine.

Controlling a UAC, lasers and a streak sounds like extremely challenging multitasking.
If you want to try that go with the loyalty Wolverine, using a UAC, a laser, a missile system, jump jets and MASC. Nice training mech, just don´t do it in CW.

Edited by John McHobo, 23 August 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#16 Echidna

• Pip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

I might suggest a simple Dragon build of an LBX10, four medium pulse, and as big a standard or light engine you can fit in it. It's not the most threatening build you can pull out of one, but the short duration weapons will help you nail legs pretty easily and shield in return. You won't have the speed to chase them, but you can get to objectives and help teammates pretty quickly which is good enough.

Plus, lights are going to have a hard time chewing through all your armour, especially when you have 11 other mechs on the field around you. If they choose to focus you, that's a better trade than letting them run to your gens.

#17 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

You're likely to get better overall results in a 55 tonner for light hunting. Bump something else 5 tons in your deck.

You want a >40 pt alpha and 90+kph with something you can hit legs with. Ballistics and SRMs, pulse on the lasers.

#18 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostJohn McHobo, on 23 August 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

Or you do something strange and try out a Griffin 2N carrying streaks and tag. High chance of being horrible, but I have never tested it.

This griffin build is probably one of the most effective light hunters I've used to date.  4 S-SRM 4s, ECM set to counter, and an optional Tag/Beagle, will cripple pretty much anything under 35 tons in 2 or 3 volleys.  Usually 1 or 2 more volleys to finish them off.  The MG Myst lynxes running around are food for me when running this mech.  It does struggle somewhat against the heavier stuff out there, so if I'd wait to use it in a drop deck until waves 3 or 4, where the enemy is usually on their lighter mechs

#19 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:58 AM

I have 2 mechs that work really well as anti-light streak mechs:

The Bushwacker P1, you can throw in a large XL and catch up to lights and run streaks BAP and a Tag.

The Javelin, with 4 streak2's and a BAP can hunt down and punish those machine gun lights.

#20 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:08 AM

For hunting lights, I'd go with something slightly lighter, e.g.
55t like
Bushwacker BSW-P1 (SRM boat)
Griffin GRF-2N (SRM boat)

50t like
Crab (laser boat)

or 40t like
Assassin ASN-27 (w/SRM+ML)

or a light.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users