Inner Sphere C.a.s.e.

Balance

42 replies to this topic

#1 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

Is it time to look closer at IS-C.A.S.E. or the possibility of C.A.S.E.II?

Now that there is an actual need for it, shouldn't it provide some better benefits?

Some things that first come to mind with balance improvements to IS-CASE.

1. Allow CASE to firewall, and completely block transferable damage from legs and arms, so it doesn't bleed from arms to a torso with CASE (Which currently damage does transfer from arms and legs into torso's and legs straight to the engine)?
2. Allow CASE to stop 100% of IS Gauss rifle explosion internal damage?
3. Allow CASE to automatically eject damaged/destroyed/Exploding ammunition?

Anyone else with some good ideas, please share.

Edited by The Trojan Titan, 19 August 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#2 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

Yeah i think case should negate explosive damage from ammo explosions. Not sure about negating gauss explosion though.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

IS CASE should either negate 75% explosion damage from ammo/weapons, or reduce the chance of getting critted by 50%. Then people might actually use it.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

CASE is fine, ammo explosions are simply too infrequent for it to matter.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 19 August 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

But Gauss explosions ain't...

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

@Yeonne: The most meta gauss is arm mounted is it not? After eating away the arm structure the residual is not much of a threat. Also in the era of super stacked skill tree a twenty point explosion doesn't really affect an Atlas. Does a gauss Atlas really benefit from CASE? In my opinion no.

#7 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

Nobody cares about CASE when people put ammo in the cockpit/legs and the chance of an ammo explosion is only 10% (IIRC) when the ammo is destroyed.

The problem is if ammo exploded everytime it was destroyed, then people would just boat laser vomit more beause it doesnt have that disadvantage.

#8 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

The problem the explosions don't happen quite often enough to make CASE necessary. And if you make them more common, you'll both increase role of RNG and in effect make ammo-based weapons less tonnage/slot efficient, and I'm not sure either is desirable.

Basically CASE is there for a scenario which is relevant in lore and TT campaign context, namely to guarantee that your 200-year-old 'mech is at all possible to repair. Irrelevant in MWO because we can just take our chances, and should that ammo explosion occur, we'll still have our 'mech for the next game.

#9 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 19 August 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

@Yeonne: The most meta gauss is arm mounted is it not? After eating away the arm structure the residual is not much of a threat. Also in the era of super stacked skill tree a twenty point explosion doesn't really affect an Atlas. Does a gauss Atlas really benefit from CASE? In my opinion no.

The most meta Gauss is indeed arm-mounted, but that is something of a fringe benefit and there is no reason to hamper 'Mechs that have ballistics in the sides.

Really, what I want to see is CASE negating the damage entirely so you can stuff it in with an XL. That has been a huge limiter for far too long. And no, I don't want CASE II for that, it's already +0.5 tons on top of 15.

#10 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

Since the only thing that exlodes in this game is Gauss and most IS mechs have their ballistic hardpoints in STs I'd like to see IS CASE reduce Gauss explosion chance by 100%.

Edited by kapusta11, 19 August 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#11 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 19 August 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Since the only thing that exlodes in this game is Gauss and most IS mechs have their ballistic hardpoints in STs I'd like to see IS CASE reduce Gauss explosion chance by 100%.

This isn't an honest representation, with all the MG's going around, I've seen plenty of ammo explosions, and a whole lot of torso's being knocked out or killing outright a mech that has ammo in the legs.

Maybe MG's are more of a Quickplay phenomenon than it is in COMP play, where its just laser vomit and Gauss. But its an issue in Quickplay, and deserves attention IMO.

And preferably attention that doesn't result in the complete and utter nerf of MG's again.

Edited by The Trojan Titan, 19 August 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#12 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

The problem with IS CASE is that it takes up weight. Clans get it for free, but IS has to pay a weight penalty.

So the question becomes do I put on CASE in case ammunition explodes or do I add a bit more ammunition because if it's exploding I'm probably screwed already.

I think a good route to go for CASE would be for it to provide a bonus to armor for the area it's installed. Like 20-25% armor boost plus controlling any explosions for that area. So I could put it in my ST which has 50 armor and now it bumps up to 60 armor. There are a few mechs I would consider finding the weight to put in some more armor.

#13 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

Firstly, we should be able to put CASE in the arms. That's one major downside to mounting Gauss on some IS mechs. If we could mount CASE to the arms, we could more safely arm-mount a gauss.

Another change that could potentially bring some balance to the XL problem is making CASE protect against IS XL ST death, in essence making it function like the Clan XL at the cost of needing to mount CASE in both STs. Yes, we already have LFE, but honestly LFE didn't do much to help IS mechs that need to run XL.

View PostRuar, on 19 August 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

I think a good route to go for CASE would be for it to provide a bonus to armor for the area it's installed. Like 20-25% armor boost plus controlling any explosions for that area. So I could put it in my ST which has 50 armor and now it bumps up to 60 armor. There are a few mechs I would consider finding the weight to put in some more armor.

I like this idea. A bit of extra ST armor at the cost of needing a slot and half a ton. The only problem is that if it happened the Clanners would whine about the IS getting "more OP" and demand it be applied for all CASE, which would result in Clan mechs getting an armor bonus to every component.

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 19 August 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

My CPLT-C4 survived 6 ammo explosions over 4 matches, in a row. That's frequent enough that the CASE stays.

The only buff I can see working is reducing crit chance (receiving) on the equipped section, 5% at most.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 19 August 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#15 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

Make isCASE into CASEII
That simple, worth the tonnage.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 19 August 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

My CPLT-C4 survived 6 ammo explosions over 4 matches, in a row. That's frequent enough that the CASE stays.

The only buff I can see working is reducing crit chance (receiving) on the equipped section, 5% at most.

That's because of poor ammo placement

Add full ton to the face, and the rest in the legs
Instantly superior Crit rates, because 6 things to Crit VS 5

#16 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 19 August 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

like McGral said, drop the case, move the 4 tons of ammo to the legs, beef the ammo in the head to a full ton, max your head armor and beef up your leg armor with the rest the free tonnage. Instantly better mech, also ya know.. get one them light engines when you can

Edited by Lucian Nostra, 19 August 2017 - 08:42 PM.

#17 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

Case is fine...

#18 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

View PostKursedVixen, on 19 August 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

Case is fine...

How many do you have equipped per IS mech?

#19 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

Afair they reduced Ammo-Explosions to a mere 10% if Ammo is critted twice when still in the Beta...

Ammo Explosions were great that time when a Mech blowed up in staggered exploson to ultimate destruction without CASE.
But with the reduction Ammo has become not a danger but a Healthpoint padding Piece of Equipment and CASE(IS) a waste of weight and space!

Beta Ammo Explosion

#20 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 19 August 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

Afair they reduced Ammo-Explosions to a mere 10% if Ammo is critted twice when still in the Beta...

Ammo Explosions were great that time when a Mech blowed up in staggered exploson to ultimate destruction without CASE.
But with the reduction Ammo has become not a danger but a Healthpoint padding Piece of Equipment and CASE(IS) a waste of weight and space!

Beta Ammo Explosion

Why is it that the beta looks and sounds so much better than the game we have today?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users